Imported fm US and now UK road legal!! - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Talking Imported fm US and now UK road legal!!

Apologies been 'off forum' for about three months, relocated back to UK and just been through some rather trying DVLA issues to get my USA SP2 legal on UK road. all sorted tho'.

As bike was over ten years old - only needed an MOT, not the SVA or IVA, some modifications to the lights were necessary, will post piccys of these mods....but very minor, so MOT was done in short order. No import tax either as owned 6 months outside UK.

Insurance: ran with fully declared modifications, pipe, suspension, power commander, and came up just under 500 - unmodified circa 280 - this was for fully comp (55yr old) bit steep but then my no claims was not valid/expired for the company insuring me...oh and without prior claims or traffic tickets=good boy

DVLA.....oh boy, that took just over six weeks by mail for their announced 10 day process... too many cock ups to relay but a big . They eventually issued an age related number plate just in time before insurance company cancelled due to a 30 days limit on VIN number.To 'add salt' DVLA issued a tax disc arriving on 3rd June, valid from 1st of May! Air was a little blue!

Back on the road though about three hours on the beastie yesterday slowly building confidence, new tyre's, UK roads (pot holes =eeeeek!) and also not ridden much since sometime 2012!

Saw a really clean looking RED SP2 - only yesterday Sunday 8 June - coming into Northampton on Newport Pagnall road .... anyone on here?

Finally can one recommend any particular 'gear indicator' variants? Sort of fancy one, plug and play type of thing, also looking in UK for a steering damper... looking at the GPR V4 and Scotts variants, any real world differences? Second hand would be a bonus!

---------------------------
Recent previous 2 wheel steeds:
1999 Triumph Daytona - miss the triple.
2003 VFR VTEC....hmmm
1999 VFR - Proper V4, no VTEC!

Current garage:

RC51 -SP2 -2003, learning more and more about it!...... FAST!

Mustang Mach 1 2003 - also as now in UK ..... two 'dieselly' things, 'cos its sensible, both are Volvo's - just to embarrass the kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Jaysus, that's allot of guff to put up with. My Irish/Welsh make-up would have had me choking the crap out of some dipwad. I know one has to put up with it to get things sorted but yikes, I can't be arsed for stupid things like that.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Budoka, it was a trying month and bit..... They used ot have regional centers, but closed for efficiency ....ha bloody ha....

2003 VFR VTEC....hmmm

Current garage:

Mustang Mach 1 2003 - also as now in UK ..... two 'dieselly' things, 'cos its sensible, both are Volvo's - just to embarrass the kids!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 07:56 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Hello Johnski, thanks for posting up your experiences. Carlos' people carrier with his SP2 packed inside will arrive in a week. I was on Skype with him yesterday to discuss the personal import customs clearance procedures and onward collection / delivery.
We were fortunate in being able to get the bike shipped inside his wife's car as shipping via container, or allowing it to be loaded & unloaded onto a ro/ro ferry would have been more complicated if not riskier.

His bike is a 2005, so unfortunately it's going to have to sit in a garage for much of the time until it's 10 years old at the end of the summer next year.

Yes - the DVLA scrapped all the local vehicle registration offices and is doing things centrally now, which is causing delays. They're a law unto themselves and VOSA, DVLA, HM C&E are all unresponsive and indifferent. Typical of government bodies and their jobsworth staff.

Still, you're on the road now just in time to enjoy the long daylight hours of the summer in the UK. BTW, Carlos is in Wiltshire now. Perhaps next year you should meet up...

I foresee that once Carlos gets another bike, within a few years I'll probably be over for a trip to the T/T. That's gotta be done too.

Your's is probably one of the few RVT1000R's in the UK, given the 10 year old import rules that make anything younger a near impossibility. Nice to have a rare bike.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 08:03 PM
Lifetime Premium

BTW, the Matris steering dampers are probably some of the nicest. Check out http://pdq1.com/category.php?CatID=4433. They're not so cheap though.

Just let it shimmy a little, there's nothing wrong with a little feedback through the steering. It's just communication between the road surface & your wrists, nothing to be afraid of.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Cheers Stig. Re: Carlos import, very canny and clever to place it inside his people carrier.

I found the HMR&CE element seamless. On arrival his importer will process the paperwork providing it has been all presented to them properly. From this Carlos will receive about a week or two later a HMR&CE letter stating it has been admitted, and registered as entering into UK, along with any taxation charges if applicable - VERY IMPORTANT to keep this letter, as it proves the date of import and HMR&CE clearance which forms part of the DVLA registration process. DVLA will do nothing if the vehicle does not show on the database, but trust nothing (databases) and keep copies of the letter for proof!

My goods, bike and car were in a single 40' container which arrived in Felixstowe port on a wed am - by lunchtime I had an email from my importer stating all had cleared HMR&CE import process, I think it must have been pre-cleared whilst at sea, (?) , then two letters, one for bike/car each followed a week or so later, along with local delivery to the house XMAS!

Checked the word MAERSK was the right way up before opening the doors........

If Carlos can prove 6 months of ownership prior to date of import, (purchase receipt or any insurance etc) - for the benefit of anyone else reading this thread, then no import tax, no matter the bikes age.

He doesn't (obviously) need to wait till its 10yrs old, as the only part of registration that circumvents is the is the IVA/SVA test which is required in addition to an MOT to register it, (from prior experience - you need both, if under 10 yrs old, if over 10 yrs old - just the MOT!).

The SVA/IVA on a previous motorcycle import was a doddle (VFR-VTEC). They fundamentally checked the lights were UK compliant, beeped the horn and walked around it, to check modifications, and the inspector said "now't wrong with that" for I think it was about 300, poor VFM , 10 minutes but it and it took a 5-6 weeks lead in for an appointment.

The other worry I had was proving date of vehicle first registration overseas, the USA Title documentation mentioned year (2003) but not month. I requested a COC - certificate of compliance from Honda USA and got a fluffy letter which proved nothing - but as it turned out was not required by DVLA.

I ended up with an age related number plate, based on the Chassis plate date of manufacturer, *Sept 02, but the registration docs from USA stated "2003" with no further accuracy. This non defined age was my source of concern as it may have attracted a 'Q' plate which would have been the final straw! But thankfully got the 52 plate which is period Sept 2002-April 2003 - happy with that.

If Carlos wants any UK import help put him in touch, I amassed a veritable folder of info from searching about, if he has not already - apply on line to DVLA for an import pack, it contains all the forms and the "how to's" he will need for registration. Also i converted my lights from USA build -not sure on his but if he needs any proven 'fixes', just holler. I will post the v.subtle light mods soon.

Initial DVLA registration is currently (June 2014) 55 one off new registration fee - plus a years road Tax currently 80 = 135. Thats it. The SVA costs are about 300- ish I think but don't quote me.

I fell foul though by believing the DVLA Documentation issued in the pack on tax pricing, submitted it as advised and waited 20 days for them to tel me it had gone up by 2 - so they rejected the first application, 20 days that took ....dont start me! .

Insurance was registered on the VIN number alone- with a 30 day time to get the plates on it. Obviously needed cover to ride it to the MOT station - conveniently a few miles away!!

Other top tips: send all documents to DVLA by recorded delivery, and include recorded delivery pre-paid envelope for return, they are spectacularly useless in letting things sit for week or two and spectacularly fail their 10 day SLA to return to customer. (Same useless levels of service for the Passport's here in uk - which hit the news today).

TT is firmly on my Bucket list! Watched avidly this year on TV, looked into it with some interest for next year - its reported on forums 2015 IOM ferry is pretty much already booked up for bikes! They release a second raft of spaces apparently about March time. Some get together hire a van and put three or so inside! (?) Although on forums some say recommend to just turn up at the port and wait for the no-shows... OK to get there but getting back? Accommodation is tight too - camping easiest if weather is fair. Might look at the 'Manx' as an alternative which runs in the late August and its just about the same experience, but not THE TT !..... Would love to go to the TT as part of a flock of SP's! Hmmm what should be the collective noun for multiple RC51's ??? Flock of (roadrunner cartoon) cacophony of (noise) ..would be an interesting thread/poll topic !

Had my bike 'wet finger in air' valued twice by separate local dealers between 7k-8k so very pleased with that - both said it was a nice example, good miles (7K) and condition - bike owes me about 4K and a few little bits.
Unfortunately my time is now challenge to do much (still have the Mach 1 to sort out and register) as our house took a bit of a beating whilst rented out - now hemorrhaging money fixing it up! LOL.

Agree on the damper thing but less inclined to put myself in any risk of a wobble off, my experience as 30 yr old would have said whoo-hoo that was fun albeit a wee bit hairy, now at 56 I seem to be more - WTF was that all about, so rather avoid the scarys! Not likely to happen much as it only manifested during aggressive riding /bumps, but if I want to open it up a bit......rather not worry, grippy seat ass cheeks not so strong nowadays!

Oh pass on to Carlos, they announced yesterday motoring fine maximum limits in UK have been recommended to be quadrupled! sensibility applies.

In time ask Carlos to get in touch - I know from several experiences how much crap you have to sort out when relocating - and the insane small but lots of costs associated - but when he is ready or if he wants some local advice on the bike process, just an email or phone call away, or quick jaunt on a sunny day.....

Lets cook on the TT idea, would like to help or join in with you...have a few others (non RC biker friends ) half interested here ..

laters
John.

2003 VFR VTEC....hmmm

Current garage:

Last edited by Johnski; 06-11-2014 at 08:07 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 06:59 AM
Lifetime Premium

Hi John,

Thanks for posting the details here, but I think you may have forgotten - my business is in supply of sportscars from Japan, of which the majority go to the UK, so we're kinda used to the procedures. Having said that, all of this is new to Carlos and he's got 3 vehicles to import (2 arriving next week the 3rd in October when his Forester STi becomes 10 years old), so it'll be very useful to him, I daresay.

But as we haven't ever imported bikes under 10 years old before, that's a new avenue.
If over 10 years old on application for registration it should be no problem but as I understood it, a certificate of conformity may be required to import a bike & register under 10 years old. Is it the case than an IVA test (Same as a car, I'd presume) is also a possibility with which to circumnavigate the requirement for a certificate of conformity?
If so, I suspect Carlos may want to consider it, although his bike is already fairly modified with an non-conforming (No BS markings, etc) exhaust, so it may be best to wait a year and get a second bike to ride / commute on meantime. Too much hassle to find another exhaust, switch it all, then switch back, etc. Personally I detest IVA testing!!

As for the T/T - for us I don't think it'll be next year, or the year after - so hopefully there will be time to make bookings on ferries for bikes & riders. Sure would be cool to go over there on SP's but unfortunately I won't be on one myself as I can't afford the luxury of a 2nd SP2 for that purpose!
Amazing the RC51 is worth 7-8K GBP in the UK. They'll definitely appreciate in years to come so perhaps instead of saving money, save SP2's!!

Well, you'll be enjoying the UK for the summer, but come winter it'll be time to put the bike away and drive the Vulva!

All the best,

Miguel

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Hear you stig, no did not know you import export, knew you had connection with several nice cars plus the RC's so sorry for egg sucking! Added the procees in detail though in case anyone else was reading this lengthy thread for info.

I dont recall at any part of either of my bike registrations (or car registrations) any worry over markings on the lights etc. the RC exhaust has no markings either... All I had to comply with was remove orange front running light (USA thing) and create a separate front sidelight, which both times was peasey. The headlights in USA have mostly a flat beam , cars included , so they dont cause any testing problem. Do the the japanese imports have headlight beam issues?

The COC is a bit of an anomaly, Honda stated it was not available for my bike but suggested a YOM certificate ( year of manufacturer) which seemed pointless as it is on the vin plate on the bike, they mentioned another form , the WVTA Whole Vehicle Transfer Approval (?) which as it turned out was another red herring, I did not need either. Anyhow I did not pay the 30 they requested and it did not matter this time.

So in direct answer, the RC and my prior experience with the VFR. which was at time of import under 10 yrs old, the SVA and MOT was suffice, that was in 2007 for a 2003 bike. so its at least worth Carlos to query it. However the process could have changed since 2007,for under 10 yr olds, but it may save the need to purchase another in the meantime, or cut down on his waiting!

Valuation was nice to hear, however I hold that with a pinch of salt, untill someone pulls money out of pockets its all fresh air, nice fresh air though! With USA prices comparatively low on these, theres probably a small volume business in importing bikes from USA....!!!

Onwards and upwards..... John
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 04:25 PM
Lifetime Premium

Hi John,

Japan drives on the left side of the road, just like in the UK - and headlights were alligned properly prior to testing here, so no problem at all there.
The main issue will be that it has a Ladybird HRC on, which isn't all that quiet (There are bolt in baffles).

As with cars for IVA, I expect the UK needs either BS markings, or obvious signs the exhaust fitted is from the bike's manufacturer. The testers at the heavy goods vehicle testing centres where IVA testa are done are typically very fussy and will fail a vehicle whenever there is an opportunity, rather than using common sense.
Therefore it may be easier to wait for it to be 10 years old and just need to pass an MOT than risk either losing an IVA testing fee and suffering the argo of waiting for a test date...

Bike MOT test places will be a lot more reasonable, I think!

As for importing bikes from US to the UK, we have a customer whose side business is just that and he seems to do very well from it, although that's with classic bikes in his case...
The RVT1000R is a modern classic though, of that there's no doubt. SP1/SP2 prices are on the increase in the UK and good bikes hard to find, I hear - so don't be tempted to sell your's!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode