Honda branding and how they missed the boat regarding the RC51 - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Honda branding and how they missed the boat regarding the RC51

I came across this interesting article on Honda & how they missed an opportunity with the RC51. It may have been posted before but it’s a good read and the pictures are a thing of beauty.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/popu...nicolas-petit/

2004 SP2 NHR #000040
My biggest fear is that when I die
my wife sells my bike for what
I told her it cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
I have mixed feelings on it. It's hard to say they missed an opportunity when their goal of winning World Championships on it was realized very quickly not to mention Suzuka, Isle of Mann, Mational Championships etc...

What they achieved on the showroom floors was a failure. We never got the readily available, cheap race parts we were promised and the bike was easily eclipsed by even production 600's at the time. As much as I have seen the legendary Honda reliability to fall to nothing more than a mythical status in the last decade I do not think they could come back at this point and make any of their past Honda loyalists truly happy. I mean they have spent the last 10 years giving the consumers exactly what they don't want while their fit, finish and reliability has consistently suffered.

The RC51 was the last great production bike Honda produced with any reverence and when you look at it in terms of what you got for your money it was pretty paltry even for that time frame.

Even now all the other brands are moving forward in leaps and bounds for performance and technology and to a large degree aesthetics are coming around again too. The KTM's, APRILIA RSV4, Panigale's and especially the new ZX-10R look like stealth fighters with their sharp angles and then you see this from Honda

Really... This is the best the largest motorcycle manufacturer on the planet can do???
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I get mixed messages from Honda as well. The CBR's are pretty much just an also ran in virtually every test I read, and the "new" models are very bland in comparison to the competition with perhaps the exception of the CBR500s, and that mostly because there is nothing equal to compare them to. While I did appreciate the updates on last year's 600rr, and the 1000SP has some tasty bits on it, they're still no match for the Ninjas an Gixxers when push comes to shove. Never mind pitting the 1000SP against an S1000RR or a Panigale R.
Maybe I'm one of the fortunate few dealers that hasn't really experienced any customer dis-satisfaction or reliability issues, but I do see some degradation of build quality on some models.There are higher instances of recalls in the last several years though. Honda has been consistant in giving what's left of their customer base what Honda Corporate thinks they need and not what they truly want. The largest sector of the ATV market is big bore models and Mother refuses to play in that arena but is the first to howl to the dealers about losing market share. Powersports is a consumer driven business and Honda is NOT listening to the ridership at all in almost all cases.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
Really... This is the best the largest motorcycle manufacturer on the planet can do???
I actually think this body style is awesome, bull nose and all. I have been looking for one for awhile.

The stealth fighter look can be great, but I think sometimes I think they go overboard.

Bikes:
2003 RC51
2004 CBR600F4i (sold)
2010 Triumph Scrambler (sold)
2004 VRod (sold)
2003 CB919
2004 600rr (sold)

Non Bikes:
2005 CTS-V (sold)
2007 JK Sahara
2004 GX 470
2011 E63
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbonater View Post
I actually think this body style is awesome, bull nose and all. I have been looking for one for awhile.
Well you have obviously not been looking very hard they are every where... The bike basically remained unchanged for 4 years and they were selling 08's new for $6400 at one point...
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Well you have obviously not been looking very hard they are every where... The bike basically remained unchanged for 4 years and they were selling 08's new for $6400 at one point...
Oh yeah, they are everywhere, I am looking for a cheaper one, lots of the ones I see are like $8000, and the dealerships want almost as much as they were new.

When were they selling 08s for $6400??!?!!?

Bikes:
2003 RC51
2004 CBR600F4i (sold)
2004 VRod (sold)
2003 CB919
2004 600rr (sold)

Non Bikes:
2005 CTS-V (sold)
2007 JK Sahara
2004 GX 470
2011 E63
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbonater View Post

When were they selling 08s for $6400??!?!!?
In 2009, they had more leftover 08's then they knew what to do with. The economy downturn plus all the oil burning problems the CBR had and the general ugly facade of the bike all made for very poor sales numbers.

I tell ya what though the very fact they could & did sell them for $6400 proves that those $11,999 price tags are 100% mark-up because I guarantee Honda did not take a loss on them when they sold them that cheap!
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I tell ya what though the very fact they could & did sell them for $6400 proves that those $11,999 price tags are 100% mark-up because I guarantee Honda did not take a loss on them when they sold them that cheap!
Oh ok, I wasn't looking back then.

So true about the mark up, they rape you.

I know that most people don't like this model, but sometimes it pays to like something no one else does, haha. I would love to get one someday.

Bikes:
2003 RC51
2004 CBR600F4i (sold)
2004 VRod (sold)
2003 CB919
2004 600rr (sold)

Non Bikes:
2005 CTS-V (sold)
2007 JK Sahara
2004 GX 470
2011 E63
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
KTM also missed the boat with the RC8, when it was first released to the public (pictures) there was nothing like it and I thought, dam I've got to get one of those, but it took so long to come into production, looks to much like a GSXR, IMO

2004 SP2 NHR #000040
My biggest fear is that when I die
my wife sells my bike for what
I told her it cost.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
I have mixed feelings on it. It's hard to say they missed an opportunity when their goal of winning World Championships on it was realized very quickly not to mention Suzuka, Isle of Mann, Mational Championships etc...

What they achieved on the showroom floors was a failure. We never got the readily available, cheap race parts we were promised and the bike was easily eclipsed by even production 600's at the time. As much as I have seen the legendary Honda reliability to fall to nothing more than a mythical status in the last decade I do not think they could come back at this point and make any of their past Honda loyalists truly happy. I mean they have spent the last 10 years giving the consumers exactly what they don't want while their fit, finish and reliability has consistently suffered.

The RC51 was the last great production bike Honda produced with any reverence and when you look at it in terms of what you got for your money it was pretty paltry even for that time frame.

Even now all the other brands are moving forward in leaps and bounds for performance and technology and to a large degree aesthetics are coming around again too. The KTM's, APRILIA RSV4, Panigale's and especially the new ZX-10R look like stealth fighters with their sharp angles and then you see this from Honda

Could be worse. How about the VFR1200?
They aren't exactly leaping off the showrooms.
I think I've seen 3 in the last three years, and that's only 'cause a friend of mine owns one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode