Which bike to get rid of.....? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Which bike to get rid of.....?

So the time has come that I will have to trim down my small fleet to only one bike. I used to have three bikes: an '02 RC51, an '03 R1, and an '05 ZX636. I already got rid of the R1, and as much as it pains me to do it, I'm going to have to get rid of one more. The question is: Do I keep the RC or the ZX?

Here's the catch: I want to start doing more trackdays. I've been to one already on the R1, so I'm still kind of new to the whole track thing, but I would like to get to (realistically) two track days per year.

My concerns are these:
Is the RC51 really approachable for track days? Would it be a little easier starting on the 636? Not referring to power difference so much as the weight and suspension difference.

Is it harder to turn quick lap times on the RC or the 636? Which bike do you think will be quicker overall(negating any effect of a long straightaway)

I would really love to keep the RC51, but I feel that for spirited or track riding, I sort of prefer the feeling of a lighter, more nimble bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Old & Slow Admin

By far, the 636 will be the easier bike to ride on the track and stock vs stock, it will kill a RC51.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 04:30 PM

you will def want the 636 for trackdays since parts are cheaper and more readily available if you ever get the urge to start upgrading it (or worse, crash).

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, exactly what I was thinking track-wise. I really hate to let the RC go though..... the cool factor is through the roof(at least for me..... most people don't even seem to know what kind of bike it is these days). Since 95% of my time will be riding on the street, I'm very inclined to keep it since it's always been my dream bike. On the other hand, I've seen the RCs at the track and it seems like a labor of love just to keep them running with the 600s out there.

As far as the track goes, maybe my question should be this: Take an average rider with minimal track experience and let him do a few laps on each bike (the RC51 and the ZX636). Which is he most likely to be faster on and why?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
yeah, if your going to ride track seriously, i'd stick with the 636. The RC makes a good dual purpose bike. If you are not competetive, don't worry about track times. Just keep the RC and have fun. Which one do you enjoy riding more?

the 636 is lighter and is a bit easier to handle. It's got about the same if not more power then the RC too.Personally, i think you will learn faster on the 636, it will also be A LOT more forgiving when you do make mistakes.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Old & Slow Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51Scott View Post
As far as the track goes, maybe my question should be this: Take an average rider with minimal track experience and let him do a few laps on each bike (the RC51 and the ZX636). Which is he most likely to be faster on and why?
That rider will be faster on the 636 without a question. The bike is lighter and has a better HP to weight ratio compaired to the pig we know as the RC51. Don't get me wrong, I love my RC but I also know my GSXR600 will stomp it into the ground.

Just think about it this way...the 636 wet is about 430lbs with 113hp at the rear wheel, the RC has about 130hp (at the crank) and weighs about 470lbs wet.

Hit the track with the 636!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

Ugh, just rode the RC today and it felt great. At speed, the weight seems to be less of an issue. I really do love the bike and can probably live with higher lap times. I also really want to improve my skill though. I'm still so torn on this decision. Is either bike more "forgivable" on the track? I've heard people say about both bikes that it's hard to put a wheel wrong, but that may just be the usual puffery.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Old & Slow Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51Scott View Post
Ugh, just rode the RC today and it felt great. At speed, the weight seems to be less of an issue. I really do love the bike and can probably live with higher lap times. I also really want to improve my skill though. I'm still so torn on this decision. Is either bike more "forgivable" on the track? I've heard people say about both bikes that it's hard to put a wheel wrong, but that may just be the usual puffery.
The only real way to answer your question is to ride both bikes back to back at your next track day.

BTW, if you're really not worried about times, track the bike that makes you happy. I for one love the sound of a twin (raced a Hawk for many years and still have one) but there is no way I'm going to go as fast on my RC as I can on my GSXR (both bikes have aftermarket suspension, pipes, PC's and other crap).

Good luck in your decision but most of all.....HAVE FUN ON THE TRACK!!!!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 01:01 PM

Hhmmmmmm

I would put more emphasis on my road riding if you are only going to do a few track days a year. If you do a lot more on the road riding then I would make that a much higher consideration, at least makes sense to me??? Now if you are planing on going racing or moving up to that the smaller would be a better learning bike for sure. I don't know where you live but I live in the Mtns of VA and Honda made this bike just to ridin my area as far as I can see
Thank You Honda !!!! Hoovy

Satos, CF Sir box & snorkel,Mr front and rear fender & dash cover, custom carbon V cowl, Black ASV levers, Power com III, Hot Bodies tail, Galfer lines, Vortex Clip ons.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 05:31 PM

i had a similar choice, zzr600 or rc, and i chose the rc hands down, love the bike in every way, she might be as bit porky, but thats ok, she moves just fine. and im not a racer and dont stress lap times. i enjoy riding and the rc is a more enjoyable machine for me. i also commute on zzr1200 and that thing is a beast of its own..

2003 ZZR1200 - Galfer Lines, EBC HH Pads, Corbin Beetle Bags and Seat, Genmar Risers, Muzzy Full System. - Street.

2007 RSV1000R - Penske triple clicker, Ohlins forks, Ohlins steering damper, Leo Vince titanium full system, race ECU, Brembo mono-blocks, Braided lines, Race battery, etc.. - Track whore.

2004 Hemi Durango - Tow duty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode