forks - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
forks

going to remove the forks myself to save a little labor money when i take them to get my seals replaced.

read the manual, looks pretty straight forward on removing them, but re-installing them. now, i know that the fork index line needs to be flush with the top clamp for correct fork height, but i guess im not understanding how to make sure the forks are turned in the correct position
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 10:59 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Not sure how the others do it, but you could use something like a marker or chalk to mark the fork and triple...then just match the lines during re-install.

Also...the bottom of the forks might have stickers, make sure they are in the same position.

For me, installing my new forks I initially used the stickers on the outer tubes to line them up. Then I adjusted the preload to fully closed...then matched them from there.

Again, some of our more knowledge able members will have a more correct method.

2001 SP1 (sold)
2004 SP2 (properly stored)
2012 Ruckus (stolen)
2015 Grom (under construction)

Weyrauch pronounced (Y Rock)...Rock for short.

Semper Fidelis
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
hmm, when I did mine I used the cir clip/wire to use to get the height right as it sits up against the lower triple tree as you've said, but the way the forks faced I didn't think mattered because the lower part moves..? correct me if Im wrong. by lower part i mean the part the calipers bolt to and the wheel bolt goes through....

Now there is a way to seat the wheel correctly when tightening the pinch bolts thats what I think is the most important.

Has just realized that I don't care what it costs until I get the bill! :roll eyes: ...

Rossco's RC Teardown & Rebuild....

PARTS FOR SALE!

Last edited by Rossco; 06-28-2014 at 11:15 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 11:25 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
hmm, when I did mine I used the cir clip/wire to use to get the height right as it sits up against the lower triple tree as you've said, but the way the forks faced I didn't think mattered because the lower part moves..? correct me if Im wrong. by lower part i mean the part the calipers bolt to and the wheel bolt goes through....

Now there is a way to seat the wheel correctly when tightening the pinch bolts thats what I think is the most important.

As long as the suspension settings are the same, performance shouldn't be impacted...but I like my stuff to be symmetrical or the same. So if you didn't line up the forks, for example you could fully close the preload settings...and (using a wrench starting at the same 9 o'clock position)...could have one fork closed at 12 o'clock, and the other at 3 o'clock. Again, performance not impacted...but for me it would be weird.

2001 SP1 (sold)
2012 Ruckus (stolen)

Semper Fidelis
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weyrauchrc51 View Post
As long as the suspension settings are the same, performance shouldn't be impacted...but I like my stuff to be symmetrical or the same. So if you didn't line up the forks, for example you could fully close the preload settings...and (using a wrench starting at the same 9 o'clock position)...could have one fork closed at 12 o'clock, and the other at 3 o'clock. Again, performance not impacted...but for me it would be weird.
Good point I hadn't thought of that, my OCD is now going to kill me lol

Has just realized that I don't care what it costs until I get the bill! :roll eyes: ...

Rossco's RC Teardown & Rebuild....

PARTS FOR SALE!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 11:41 PM
Lifetime Premium

forks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
Good point I hadn't thought of that, my OCD is now going to kill me lol

Haha...its gets the best of us. It is just something I noticed and adjusted when I recently installed my new forks so I thought it made sense to make them the same.

Again, I could be completely wrong though

2001 SP1 (sold)
2012 Ruckus (stolen)

Semper Fidelis

Last edited by weyrauchrc51; 06-28-2014 at 11:46 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
so the lower part of the forks rotate? i like the chalk idea, i just figured the manual would have indicated a index line for the correct rotation of the forks as well
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Yes, the lower tube will spin all around once you remove the fork leg from the bike.
And who ever mentioned about just butting the outer tube w/cir-clip up to the bottom clamp_ that's what I remember doing also.

Lastly, it was mentioned about correctly mounting the front wheel. There's a procedure that b.miller123 brought to the forum. I reprinted it in the "How To" forum.

https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39105

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode