Well I'm back - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Well I'm back

Howdy all, back again but this time with news. Picking up an RC51 next week, and while it's not the charcoal metallic beauty of my dreams, the bike is just what the doc ordered as far as condition and set-up goes. Low mileage, impecably maintained, new tires, braided lines, vortex d/b screen better pegs and -1/+2 sprockets and new chain. Not even gonna mention what I got her for, I should really be wearing a mask as I post this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rc51-2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	1564   Click image for larger version

Name:	rc51-3.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	1565  

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Sooo, where'd you go?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
welcome back and very nice bike it looks just like my 03...the fastest year

2003 RC51
2006 FJR1300
2002 CBR600 f4i
2002 R1

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Well, mostly hanging on my other forums: GWOF, MCUSA, Global Motorbikes. But aLso just got back from a trip to Ireland where the wife and I did a bit of riding. Now that I'll be a bonified member complete with requisite bike I'll be a bit more frequent here. I'm sure I'll have some quirky questions for the gurus of RC bikes. I'm far from a noob (I'm actually a Honda dealer in Canada) but have never ridden an RC before, just CBRs and VFRs etc, just had to get myself a sport bike again for a bit more giggle than my Wing has. I didn't want a CBR, and well, I just couldn't even consider another make.
I reckon the fuel range of the RC is about the same as a Superhawk? Anybody got a Corbin seat or some seat other than the stock one? I don't plan on tracking the bike, or dropping the thing, but I think frame sliders are in order to preserve body parts in the event of a tip-over.

'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
The fuel range of the RC51 is greater than the VTR1000F due to a larger fuel tank.
About 130 miles if ridden conservatively.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Thanks SS, you'd think I'd have noticed the slightly larger tank in my spec sheets, duh.

'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Sweet, glad your back and great looking bike. Looks clean. You'll love the bike, its a blast. There was a Sargent or Corbin seat for sale in the classified on here or speedzilla....i think it was on speedzilla for 175. Might want to check that out.

Frame sliders is a good idea, you'll have to cut the fairings though. It saves A LOT in tip overs.....pretty much saved my Aprilia when i tipped it in my driveway 2 years ago. Broken turn signal and clutch lever.....but other then that, nothing. It just basically gave me an excuse to buy some CRG levers for it.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Welcome. Bet as a dealer you got it for a sweet price. Perk of the job, I guess.

I have a Corbin seat. Very comfy and put an end to pains of riding. I was on the SP2 riding quick for about 3+ hours yesterday and felt no ache at all.
Corbin's heavy and Sargeant seats (Never tried 'em) apparently crack on the underside, so you need to choose the best of two evils.

If you're a heavier guy and don't want to risk cracking the plastic frame get a Corbin.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Welcome back budoka. Gonna be interesting to hear your opinions of how the RC51 feels. I'm not sure how common hydralic clutches are on bikes, but it sure was a nice familiar feel from my vfr for me. But that was the only thing that was similiar. After riding my RC for the first 4 or 5 times, I sold the vfr and never looked back. I love this bike!
...I reckon the fuel range of the RC is about the same as a Superhawk? Anybody got a Corbin seat or some seat other than the stock one?...
I researched corbins and sargents for about a year before buying a sargent for my vfr. I found an overwhelming 'rule of thumb' after reading countless reviews from riders of all bikes, sport and cruisers. If your heavy, Corbin. If your light, Sargent. I'm guessing about 200 pounds to be the line. I'm 190 w/gear, and the Sargent was such an improvement. Huge. And I don't know about cracking, but I found my Sargent to be constructed even better than the oem.

100 to 140 miles (i have -1/+2 & 190/55) till your fuel light comes on. Then you got 1.2 gallons left, in theory, good for about another 30 - 40 miles.

Egrbgottie put a nice finish on this thread which covers fuel milage pretty comprehensivly.
https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/sho...ghlight=milage

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome Back

You want to know it your in the right place Great guys and advise here, saved my hiney several times from making bad buys. Best 2 wheels on the road !! Ride Safe Hoovy

Satos, CF Sir box & snorkel,Mr front and rear fender & dash cover, custom carbon V cowl, Black ASV levers, Power com III, Hot Bodies tail, Galfer lines, Vortex Clip ons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode