Temperature? Important* - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Temperature? Important*

I'm starting to worry, i thought maybe it's my exhaust pipe radiating up but i felt my frame, just the right side is actually burning to the touch. Left not so much but i'm sure everyone has felt how out the tank gets when you shut the bike off and convection just wants to blow it up. It's really damn hot is this normal? i'm definitely exhaust wrapping everything when i get a chance and the radiators work and what not coolants good, etc. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 10:39 PM

i know my bike gets pretty hot when its hot out. it really sucks, but i don't think it has any harm on the bike, as long as you aren't over heating. keep in mind that the rear cylinder is pretty much under your crotch and inbetween the frame, with a gas tank over it. not a lot of air movement in city conditions.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 12:24 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Exhaust wrapping is okay, there are a few of the folks here that do that. Maybe try running Engine Ice instead of regular coolant, it seems to help the engine run at a lower temperature.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks alot guys, i averaged about 227 on the highway pretty warm.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
That seems too warm to me. 227 average? meaning it goes higher than that? Even in hundred degree weather, my stock cooling system never gets over 219-220 before the fan turns on. It takes about a minute or two to get down to about 205 then shuts off. As soon as I start moving again, (traffic lights) usually runs around 200-205. That's summer-time numbers with average daytime being about 90 to 100 degrees.

I don't remember if you have a sp1 or sp2, one fan or two, but if you haven't already, confirm that your fans are kicking on and off at the right temps.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, 227 seems hot. I am about an hour south of jondog9 and even in traffic and 100 degree temps i only got to about 217 before engine ice. Then again, I did stay at 206 riding through a couple of towns on the freeway about two weeks ago.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

WOW. Something must be kinda wrong. yeah 227 highest 233, anything below 40mph and it gets burning hot. Well when i kick my engine off with the lights still on the fans are on and feel strong. i'll give it a look over tomorrow, engine ice at advanced auto or autozone?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 12:55 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I searched autozone website. "No related information found for engine ice." I'm just
using a standard antifreeze mixed 50/50. Haven't tried anything else in the RC.

It's more than a coolant brand. not full enuf, blockage somewhere, thermostats rarely stick closed so ...
Anyway, I guess i would say, start with looking for any leaks, change out coolant and make sure your overflow container is working properly, if you see any crud in the bottom, take it off and clean it out real good and purge the hose too. That's what I did to mine and it worked pretty good.
I wasn't to familiar with the RC when I did my coolant flush, but the service manual is real easy to follow and I did it more thouroughly as a result.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 02:24 PM

Are you saying that it runs that hot at cruising speed on the highway? That seems way too hot to me.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
That seems too warm to me. 227 average? meaning it goes higher than that? Even in hundred degree weather, my stock cooling system never gets over 219-220 before the fan turns on. It takes about a minute or two to get down to about 205 then shuts off. As soon as I start moving again, (traffic lights) usually runs around 200-205. That's summer-time numbers with average daytime being about 90 to 100 degrees.

I don't remember if you have a sp1 or sp2, one fan or two, but if you haven't already, confirm that your fans are kicking on and off at the right temps.
My cooling system only reaches 221 during stop and go traffic.
The fans kick in at 218 and keep it down to around 205-208 in traffic.
Once on the freeway in the city, it cools down to around 185-190.
In the spring time, I've since it get down to 176 in the country (at 90 MPH).

I've found the system is very sensitive to ambient conditions.
I've actually since it drop 1 deg when passing under a shade tree covering a section of the highway in the country, the bounce back up 1 deg when back in the sun lit section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode