Tire removal/installation on rim - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Tire removal/installation on rim

I like to do things on the cheap if it means doing the same job of an expensive tool. I've seen videos on youtube about removing and installing a sportbike tire without a $2000 machine. I have absolutely no experience in this method; however, are the methods on Youtube viable? I am looking into investing into a wheel balancer as well. The price of a wheel balancer should offset the cost of tire service and balancing right?

Tanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hmm, I've seen tools at Harbor Freight that will do the job for removal, as for a balance, last time I went to my local bike shop they showed me some stuff in a bottle and swore by it and was telling me that it balances better then they could on the machine. They charge $25 a wheel to change tires and balance which isn't bad, I could probably change my own tires but don't want to ruin my new powder coated rims.

Ride on

Theres also beads you can put in there but I'm probably going to try the ride on.

Has just realized that I don't care what it costs until I get the bill! :roll eyes: ...

Rossco's RC Teardown & Rebuild....

PARTS FOR SALE!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, the cheap way to do it is very viable. Get some spoon tire irons, your axle and two jack stands for balancing. A lot of people will only spoon on their own tires as most shops will do it without care and patience and end up scuffing the rim.

Rossco, when i read "they showed me some stuff in a bottle" i thought they were yanking yer chain. I googled it however and its a real thing! Im only mildly impressed however...lmao.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboojackson View Post

Rossco, when i read "they showed me some stuff in a bottle" i thought they were yanking yer chain. I googled it however and its a real thing! Im only mildly impressed however...lmao.

Haha I had to ask them twice because I thought they were taking the piss and then he showed me the bottle...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App sucks balls!!! Omfg it won't stop opening the f'in App Store!

Has just realized that I don't care what it costs until I get the bill! :roll eyes: ...

Rossco's RC Teardown & Rebuild....

PARTS FOR SALE!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
What you should buy: 1- valve core remover, 1- bead breaker, 1- 2# deadblow hammer, 3- rim protectors, 3- tire spoons, and a spray bottle of soapy water.

Although I don't have my deadblow hammer pictured, (I guess I used my 2# brass hammer that day for the bead breaker) I use it to help persuade the tire bead onto the rim as the last stretch of bead slips over the rim. Easy strikes so you don't harm the tire bead. Works a charm if you've sprayed just a little soapy water on the rim.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Great pics and info Jondog!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 08:14 PM

Anytime Penn.
They're not the easiest thing to do, but it's nice knowing that no one else is going to abuse your rims.
Takes about 20 minutes per tire to remove the old and mount the new.
Also, helps immensely to have an air compressor so you can give the newly mounted tire a blast of air to seal the bead. Sometimes you have to run up to 40 or 50 psi to get that final bit of bead to pop up and seal. Then I remove the valve core again, drain the air, let the tire relax, put the valve core back in, and air it up again to the proper psi. About 30ish for my preference.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

So, dropping about $350 to $400 in tools including balancer stand should be worth it. Three seasons, two tire front and rear mount balance and install=$400 here in Canada. Sounds like a good investment.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 08:41 PM

I bought some of my tire tools from our supporting vendor Riders Discount. They've been able to get me better prices than anywhere else I can find for just about any of the MotionPro tools on this page. I have their digital air guage, man I love that thing!

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 11:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
This thread may help too. https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/sho...wheel+balancer

Thanks to Jondog's advice I use tire levers and rim protectors now and a wheel balancer too. I saw a used one for sale on www.vfrworld.com classifieds so you may want to check if that balancer is still not sold...

For breaking the bead I find using a couple of stout pieces of wood against a suitably strong wall fixing will work fine. Protect the wheels with wood on the underside when doing this. I think there's a Youtube link to show how this is done - on the thread above.

I also use some cloth and a ratchet strap (& cloths for protection against scratches) for helping keep the bead at the centre of the rim to make the new tires easy to lever on. Again, this is on the video too.

I have expensive carbon wheels so I don't want to damage them in any way, not even a scratch or chip. Doing with protectors & levers there's no problem. I prefer the Motion Pro protectors with a thin rope on them. Easiest to use. Once you know how to do it, it's not difficult at all. You don't need expensive or bulky tools to change & balance tires. In the long run you'll save a lot by learning how!

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.

Last edited by The Stig; 07-25-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode