Rider Error - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Rider Error

Out tonight with my mate, been thrashing round the great country lanes around were we live, enjoying the cooling rush of air. Going into a bend (my mate in front) he locks up, misses the corner, and plants it in the bank.

I was actually going in hotter than he was, as he got an overtake opportunity earlier down the road and I was playing catchup. As I watched the accident unfold in front of me, I was shouting in my helmet "let the brakes off" (obviously he couldn't hear me), because I could see what was happening, and all he needed to do was let off, and he would have got round. I made it round the bend and pulled up 50 feet down the road, on a slope. Turned the RC off popped it in gear and put the stand down, went to get off and the bike rolled forward off its stand and fell on top of me. We must have looked a right pair, me stuck under mine, and him looking like he just ploughed a field with his head.

Anyway we managed to get the RC off me and this time made sure it was actually in gear. He was okay, but his bike has taken a fair bit of damage to the front end, and my left mirror broke off when the bike went over on me. Luckily no other damage to mine, but his has a twisted front end, smashed upper fairings, broken intake and scratched tank. His is a truly mint ZX10R, and he was wearing his new Taichi leathers, which seemed to fair pretty well all things considered.

We headed back at a slightly more moderate pace; he's got a lot of work ahead of him, I just have to find a replacement mirror.

Just goes to show you how easy it is to make a small mistake with big consequences. Both of us have 30 years riding experience, but it is still easy to panic in a situation like that, and react in the wrong way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sorry about you buddy's bike and your RC, but glad to hear that everyone walked away unharmed, just goes to show we all make mistakes.

Last edited by larry g; 07-26-2014 at 05:27 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
It's that easy, huh?
Good story, sorry to hear about the off and tip over. Did you both ride away from that?
Good luck with repairs, you got lucky with just a busted mirror. I've gone through a couple myself.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 08:03 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Sounds like a bad day there, especially for your friend. Glad you got away with nothing more than a broken mirror. Maybe a good opportunity to upgrade to a set of Magical Racing Carbon mirrors. Simonkobejapan can get you those. Get extra long stems & the blue wide angle glass if you go for those. I have the specs if you need them..

As for your friend, sounds as if he locked his vision on whatever he wanted to avoid and it all went pear shaped after that. Lack of confidence and commitment can be very painful on a bike...
Feel sorry for him of course & hope he can fix it well.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode