Wanting to buy an RC51 but..... - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wanting to buy an RC51 but.....

Since riding one of these bikes and really really dug it I am contemplating trading one of my bikes for an RC51. The bike unfortunately has 55K miles! I am thinking this is way way too much. I rode the bike and it felt great but I am concerned about what the cost of owning such a high mileage bike of this type would be. If it was a Kawasaki or Suzuki inline 4 I would not even consider this. But after riding now I feel I that this type of bike is for me but possibly not this.

Any opinions or suggestions for me? Anything I should be looking out for when buying one of these?

Thanks for your inputs guys!

nochain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
55K is barely broke in for the RC51. If you can get history of oil changes (you will be able to tell by the color of the site glass, they get cloud and dingy the oil stays in too long from acid etching)

Pull the fairing and take a look see.

1) Engine oil color, smell, condition.

2) Wiring- Is it butchered or spliced? This is one of the most difficult parts of owning any machine once the electrical gremlins start. (Ask Subsailor...he has a killer story, but it made him a better electrician )

3) Steering head bearings....too much play? If you see little metalic pieces with a flash light or on your finger near the steering head, you may want to stay away.

4) Coolant system- like my bike I just bought back in October (This is my 2nd RC) the previous owner thought the coolant had a life time warranty on it.

NO. Again, smell, texture, any chunks of "floaties" in it or stains in the engine bay.

5) Clutch- Does it slip? Lever engage/disengage smooth?? Fluid color/consistency??? (If its peanut butter, stay away)

6) Brake system- same as clutch system for the fluid. Rotor wear (55,000 is past where I would change out for new...) and misalignments etc...

Every bike at some point in its life will get dropped. Its just the degree of the dropping force. Don't let a driveway drop deter you from buying. I bought mine even though the previous owner lied to me and stated it hadn't been dropped. (Scratch on the pipe, mirror, turn signals marred up...no denying what happened there.)

These are a good start to your inspection....happy hunting.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
what kind of bike do you have now?
maybe try selling your bike off and find something in the winter months when people need cash fast and you could score a nicer one.

"...Loctite -- or kiss your nuts goodbye..."

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Banned

got one for you with only 4k miles and 5500 dollars buddy
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Hey Mad thanks for the advice and comment about the mileage. Still seems like an awful lot a white stripes. I looks for a 2002 but real good considering all those miles. Its not what I would call clean but the guy who rides it rides it and he just brings it in for service. I will see if he can get me any history from the shop other than the brakes and fork seals he just did.

Hey RVT I am trying to sell here on EBAY 220818832525 also see http://photobucket.com/ACETourer

No this is not an add I don't expect anyone here to be interested but its a fantastic bike BUT I wand no NEED an RC51!

Hey Gbarry if I see my bike I will have some money to buy one that I will not have to trade for. I just might talk to you about it later this week. Where are you and do you have an SP2? PM me with details.

Thanks guys any more info from anyone?? appreciate all the help I can get.

Last edited by nochain; 07-26-2011 at 09:28 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
No offense intended to other brands or their afficionados, but Hondas hold up better in similar given circumstances (CBR, VTR, VFR, RC whatever) but neglect will shorten the lifespan of any bike. What madbuyer mentioned are very key items to focus on, especially the sight glasses and reserviors, unkept bikes show up there for sure. One thing I've learned over the years is with any chain driven bike is to have someone slowly roll it forward while I look at the rear sprocket and chain. Watch for hitches and snags in the chain. At best you'll catch a bad link or the chain in poor nick, at worst is indications of misallignment (points at a bad get-off and/or possible swing-arm frame damage). New panels/parts and talent with a jig and welder can cover these up pretty well to the naked unwary eye. Not trying to scare you but this can be quite common place with the bikes we're dealing with here. Lots of low skilled wannabes and their associated mishaps occur to supersports and rr type scoots.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Budoka more good information. If I dont sell my bike I might be looking into this swap and will take the bike to a shop and have all these items checked out.

Any more inputs for me guys?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochain View Post
Thanks Budoka more good information. If I dont sell my bike I might be looking into this swap and will take the bike to a shop and have all these items checked out.

Any more inputs for me guys?
PM sent, mine has a fraction of the miles
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Close this thread down boys I am the new owner of a 04 NH RC!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochain View Post
Close this thread down boys I am the new owner of a 04 NH RC!
NO Way Dude......

"...Loctite -- or kiss your nuts goodbye..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode