Time for a new chain - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Tommysixgun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Time for a new chain

I'm in need of a new Chain sprocket set, so I am looking for recommendations
what chain set would you guys recommend for just normal street riding and where can I get it?
Tommysixgun is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Tommysixgun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have never owned a bike long enough to have to put a chain on it. Am I going to have to buy some sort of rivit tool also? chains don't come sized-up and together do they?
Tommysixgun is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 09:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got an RK chain. I was going to buy the chain breaker ($80) and a rivet tool ($15) to cut it down and put it together, but found a shop that put it on for $50 so I figured I'll forego working on my own bike just this one time.

So far it's been great, but my last chain was kinked up like you wouldn't believe so the improvement's been pretty vast. Unfortunately my bike doesn't "engine brake" as well anymore and I keep hitting that damned rev limiter because it spins up so quickly.
raylee is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 10:01 PM
Moderator
 
SubSailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 6,467
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
I replaced my previous sprockets and chain with a Renthal 15T 530 front sprocket, a 41T 530 Vortex PTFE hard coated rear sprocket (have to use special rear sprockets for my Marchesini wheels), and an RK GB530XSOZ1 530 chain.
All together, they cost about $200.
I was worried that the aluminum rear sprocket would wear prematurely, but it has lasted over 15K miles with hardly any where.
SubSailor is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Tommysixgun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raylee View Post
I just got an RK chain. I was going to buy the chain breaker ($80) and a rivet tool ($15) to cut it down and put it together, but found a shop that put it on for $50 so I figured I'll forego working on my own bike just this one time.

So far it's been great, but my last chain was kinked up like you wouldn't believe so the improvement's been pretty vast. Unfortunately my bike doesn't "engine brake" as well anymore and I keep hitting that damned rev limiter because it spins up so quickly.
$50 was that for the chain only or the chain and the sprockets?
Tommysixgun is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Tommysixgun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
I replaced my previous sprockets and chain with a Renthal 15T 530 front sprocket, a 41T 530 Vortex PTFE hard coated rear sprocket (have to use special rear sprockets for my Marchesini wheels), and an RK GB530XSOZ1 530 chain.
All together, they cost about $200.
I was worried that the aluminum rear sprocket would wear prematurely, but it has lasted over 15K miles with hardly any where.
What does 530 stand for? is that like the size of the roller on the chain? I'm telling ya I don't know anything about buying a chain. whats the advantages or disadvantages between a 530 or 520 set any or it doesn't make much difference?
Tommysixgun is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Senior Member
 
jondog9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 8,653
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
If you want longevity and max safty, go with steel sprockets, and 530 chain. Dont scrimp here unless you really know what you're doing. You don't want that sucker to fail. 530 means a wider, stronger, heavier chain. That's what's stock. About 1 to 1.2 pounds difference in a 520 and a 530. That may sound like a lot, but I think most people would say you cant really feel the difference.

Chains dont came assembled. You couldn't get it through the swingarm if they were. Get a good quality chaintool, upwards of $50. If you've never done any kind of chain at all before, then consider a professional do it for you. Crimping the rivits right is soooooo important.

As far as gear ratio choices, 16/40 is stock. What's your riding style and how much do you wiegh? I choose spirited, 15/42. It gives quicker acceleration, but at the cost of top speed. It gives you what feels like more power if you're a heavier rider. 15/41 is common too. I've even considered a 15/43 to get just a little quicker launch, and shorter shiftpoints. I've heard someone here running that ratio.

SubSailor has lots of technical info in his post, so if you want to research it, start with the stuff he put on his bike.

My 02 cents..

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

jondog9 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Tommysixgun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
If you want longevity and max safty, go with steel sprockets, and 530 chain. Dont scrimp here unless you really know what you're doing. You don't want that sucker to fail. 530 means a wider, stronger, heavier chain. That's what's stock. About 1 to 1.2 pounds difference in a 520 and a 530. That may sound like a lot, but I think most people would say you cant really feel the difference.

Chains dont came assembled. You couldn't get it through the swingarm if they were. Get a good quality chaintool, upwards of $50. If you've never done any kind of chain at all before, then consider a professional do it for you. Crimping the rivits right is soooooo important.

As far as gear ratio choices, 16/40 is stock. What's your riding style and how much do you wiegh? I choose spirited, 15/42. It gives quicker acceleration, but at the cost of top speed. It gives you what feels like more power if you're a heavier rider. 15/41 is common too. I've even considered a 15/43 to get just a little quicker launch, and shorter shiftpoints. I've heard someone here running that ratio.

SubSailor has lots of technical info in his post, so if you want to research it, start with the stuff he put on his bike.

My 02 cents..
Thanks Jondog Himm 15/43 sounds good. I'm a 180lb fella So do you run a 530 or 520? I think it would be nice to save some weight.
Tommysixgun is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 01:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysixgun View Post
$50 was that for the chain only or the chain and the sprockets?
$50 for just the chain installed. I only went with the 520 setup because I already had it on the bike.
raylee is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Tommysixgun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just ordered a Renthal 520 conversion fr/Back sprockets 15/42 and a RK GB 520 GXW chain from bikebandit and a rivit tool. Hope they all match up, I just had a bad experience were I ordered front rotors and recieved two rear rotors... holy moly.
Tommysixgun is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome