Sell or not? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sell or not?

Well, as some of you may know, I've had a few mishaps with this bike. The good news is that it seems I'm coming out of the storm now as most of the crap problems I inherited with this bike are pretty much resolved and the only things left for me to do on this bike are a custom tune and new plastics (mine aren't in the greatest of shape). Given I've come to really enjoy this bike, I feel like I wanna try my hand at a new 600rr and not have to worry about "what'll happen next" every time I pull up the kickstand. I was considering selling mine and purchasing a newer RC51 w/ lower miles, but I feel like I'd run into a bunch of problems again. Given the problems I've had I'd probably put up this bike for $3500-4000 and hope for the best and use that towards the down payment of another bike.

Any input?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Have you ridden a modern 600?
Compared to the RC51, I find them gutless below 9000 RPM.
I'm just not used to having to rev the piss out of an engine to get meaningful power our of it.
I'm a mid-range kind of guy, and 600s have pretty much zilch mid-range, unless you count mid-range to be 12,000 RPM.

I swapped bikes with a buddy who had an '06 GXSR-600.
The bike had so little power below 9000 RPM that I thought the clutch was slipping.
I just wasn't feeling any push in the backside even at 8000 RPM or below.

Finally, once I hit 9000 RPM I started to feel a pick up in power and that's when I reminded myself that these bikes have around a 16K redline and I was at the bottom end of the power band.
Definitely not my cup of tea or ever will be.

Meanwhile, my buddy who was riding my RC51 was raving how much fun it was to launch out of corners using the low and mid-range torque.
He thought it would handle like a truck, but he told how surprised he was how well it handled tight corners.

A mutual friend also rode my RC51 and like it so much, he sold his Honda CBR600 F3 and bought an '03 RC51.

I'd suggest that instead of buying a 600, get yourself a 1000 instead.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Ditto on what subsailor said. I'd hop a 1000rr any day, but the 600 isn't for me. You might want to consider an EFI 1100xx also. No where near as good in the twisties, but awesome all-round bike

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 10:45 PM

I have an 07 CBR600RR that sits in my garage beside my 04 RC51. I used to love my cbr, thought it was the greatest thing since sex. Road that thing everyday. Then I bought the RC.....the cbr has been ridden prolly 10 days in the last year and a half. That shows how profound my love for the RC is and how much more superior it is as an engineering masterpiece. LONG LIVE THE 51!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 12:05 AM

I had Kawisaki Zx636's, then a few ZX10R's. Then i bought my RC and would not go back. I just bought my wife a '09 GSXR 750, put a power commander, full Hahn exhaust, and a K+N on it and still get over how much i love my twin. Don't get me wrong, the bike does go well. It burns our friends stock 08 750, but i just like the response on the RC. I think after a few years on the GSXR, we will have matching RC's in the garage. My wife loves the RC, but the response is still too intimiding for her at the moment. A little seat time on a bike that is a little more forgiving down low should do the trick. It's like comparing dirtbikes (i'm old schoold still, 2 strokes) if you were ever into them: If you want to always have to ride on the pipe for power and the engine screaming to go, you buy a 125. If you want to be able to ride along and just roll on the power and fly, you bought a 250 or 500.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Man raylee, sure hate to see you sell. I think you should keep it.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgsx View Post
...It's like comparing dirtbikes (i'm old schoold still, 2 strokes) if you were ever into them: If you want to always have to ride on the pipe for power and the engine screaming to go, you buy a 125. If you want to be able to ride along and just roll on the power and fly, you bought a 250 or 500.
Yeah I rode a buddys RM125 many years ago and you had to keep that engine on the boil. If you got off the pipe, it just bogged.
That why I always rode a 250 or 350.
Especially the 350 or 400s. Just a bit heavier than 250, but tons of torque to play with.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 07:13 PM

Unfortunately, I have to say sell it. Bad juju. I would have told you to keep it until you said "every time I pull up the kick stand..."; that's something that can't be exorcised until the bike is gone and more importantly, takes away from the enjoyment of this bike. That being said, I personally would get another RC-51. There's just NOTHING that compares to it. Every time I roll into the Ducati dealership, people come outside to see what just rolled in and there's always a crowd around it. For me, it's love and lust all in one and I have never had a moment of regret (except for selling my first one. I agree with what everyone is saying about 600's - great to ring their necks around the track but down right annoying on the street. If you can't shake the feeling that the RC-51 just isn't what it's cracked up to be, here would be my list of other bikes:

1000cc -
BMW 1000RR
non I4 -
1198 (with TC) or RSV4 (with TC)

Middleweight -
GSXR 750
Non I4
848 or 675

Want something totally different from a super sport with similar power:
Monster S4RS or a KTM supermoto

Honestly, line up all the bikes above and throw a RC-51 in the line up, and the RC will probably get the most traffic; start it up with an aftermarket exhaust, and anybody who wasn't around it before will join the crowd already around it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode