My bike got hit in a parking lot! D: - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My bike got hit in a parking lot! D:

Well, my bike was hit in a parking lot the other day. Good news is the guy stuck around and his insurance company is taking full responsibility. Now I'm just hoping the adjuster doesn't try and downplay the damage done to the bike. Anyways, front upper cowl is damaged, front upper stay is bent, tail fairing is raped, and the worst part... my akra pipe is scuffed up something mean. Despite what people say about Akra pipes being overpriced and not offering as much gains as the Satos or whatever, I love the way they sound, the way they look and etc. But the problem is that they don't make 'em anymore from what I understand.

I hope to be getting a check for the damages, but the question is, do I repair all this on a bike with 25k miles or should I cut my losses, sell my bike as is for dirt cheap and get back on the hunt for another RC51? Despite the back n' forth I've had with this bike, I couldn't imagine being as happy with another bike for now. The powerband is perfect for my learning curve and I've actually become accustomed to the insanely cramped riding position it requires.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 04:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
That's a bummer. One of my customer's had that happen to him the day he was bringing his ST1300 in to trade on a Goldwing. Prior to that I had seen the bike and it was in pristine condition, almost flawless. He was really upset with the guy (the fellow did come clean for the repairs) and embarrassed to bring it to me broken.
As to your case, I'd wait and see what transpires with the guy's insurance company. The exhaust is going to be difficult if not impossible to replace (just like Satos would be) but there are alternatives if the company would go for it. The fairing pieces and the tail section should be totally replaced as well. Stand your ground with them.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

It's funny, when I wasn't looking for another RC51, there seemed to be a pristine one with <5000 miles popping up in random classifieds and craigslist every week. Now that I'm looking, there are none to be found.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
remembering your earlier posts, I'd say, get every penny out of the claim you can! Akra: irreplaceable-entitles you to cost of new comparable quality. Simon Kobe system? (Little help here gts455?)
Wait-Maybe you don't know yet, but is it a total? That means salvage title. That means you buy it back from the ins. and sell all the good stuff here! While you're scouting your next RC51.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

They won't total it because it's not under their policy. The adjuster should be coming to check out my bike tomorrow so we'll see from there.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 07:10 PM

raylee, my friend runs a collision repair shop. I know I'm in a different state and all, but I sure don't want to see you get lowballed. Do your research after adjuster gives you estimate for coverage. No LienHolder right? If you think it's a little short, I think I can help you. I'm used to seeing adjusters try to quickly cash out of a claim like your's, cause they know people just part out the bike and pocket the money.
Anyway, I offer my help to make sure you get the most you can...
I can PM my phone # if you wish.

Remember, that adjuster works for the Insurance company. It's his job to get the best deal possible for them. They are friendly and professional, but NOT your friend.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Get an independant quote from a body shop of your own choosing and keep it as a reference to compare/battle with for sure. If John can help go for it.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Old & Slow Admin

I also think you need a 2nd quote from maybe your local Honda dealer....and make sure they price out everything!

I would also do all the work myself and then take all of the extra coin you will have leftover and do a few track days!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

I actually work at Sport Honda and had the service writer do the estimate for me. Now Allstate is saying they might total my bike... which makes me so angry.. I want to FfFUFUFUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!! I plan on doing a trackday with my broken ass plastics the next time Nesba goes to Thunderbolt... that is if I can find a trailer to get my bike down on.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 11:24 PM

Don't stress yet. Might work out just fine. Insist on some value for the add-ons you have.
I went thru a very extensive claim about 5 years ago with allstate. I think they're a good company, even if you're not their insured in this claim. Do your homework on the value of the bike and its upgrades as it was before this happened.
Good luck raylee.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode