what clutch? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what clutch?

was wondering what brand clutch you would recommend for my 04 rc51. Just go with a stock honda replacement? bike has basic mods. pipes, power commander 3, 15/42 gears, flapper removed, soft rev limiter mod. Clutch is still working ok, but I can tell it will need to be changed in near future. Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Hi dave, I'm in the same boat with the same mods. I've done a fair amount of research and question asking, I've decided, for my 100% street and canyon riding, I'll be using a Barnett. Unless you want to pay about 2-3 times a much for the stock. From everything I've read, Barnett is a upgrade to stock.
I'd check first with Riders Discount. They're a sponser of our forum here, and twice now they have proven to me they really do have the lowest prices. Very fast shipping too. I'm going to buy mine real soon, cause I've noticed prices dropped signifacantly in the last 6 months. May go back up, you never know.
You can google 'Barnett RC51' and you'll get plenty more info.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
If a Barnett clutch is good enough for a top fuel drag bike, it's defo good enough for me and the gurlz I run with!

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
If a Barnett clutch is good enough for a top fuel drag bike, it's defo good enough for me and the gurlz I run with!

Well said: ditto!

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 02:07 PM

i actually replaced my clutch and springs about a month ago, i had some slippage going on pretty bad in the higher RPMs and gears. I went with the barnett kit. I, too, priced out the stock / OEM plates, discs and springs, but almost doubled the cost of the Barnett. the only difference i can tell is that the clutch lever pull is slightly tougher. you won't notice it in normal riding, but i have an unfortunate commute home now that the schools are back in session. So in traffic, you will feel it. MUCH smoother than what i was working with before though. i have very similar mods on my SP2 to those on your bike.

FYI, if you get a Barnett kit, make sure you get the one for the SP2 because they have differing parts than the one for the SP1 (judder spring, etc..)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

what clutch

Thank you for all the advice. Looks like I will do research on the Barnett clutch kits. Is it a pretty easy install? Thanks again!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 03:37 PM

It was a learning experience and the second time will be a 10 minute install, just keep track of the parts and the order you take them off in. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode