Why did you buy an RC51?? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why did you buy an RC51??

I have always had at least 2 bikes in the garage. With a couple exception the cruiser has usually been a Kawasaki VN750 Vulcan, with new pistons and some tweak for less then $400 it turns into a go fast bike that still gets 45 miles per gallon!!. Majority of the time the other bike(s) were sports bike with a few choppers.
In 07 I was talking with a new engineer at work about never really finding that one sport bike that put a smile on my face like the Vulcan does. He enlightened me about the RC51 (he is a big time Honda guy). So after some research and a year and half of looking I found one and have never been happier. At the time I purchased it I had 4 bikes, a 2010 Beemer S1000RR, 05 CBR1000RR and 05 VN750 and a 09 Buell 1125R. The CBR was my go to ride for fun and track. Now all are gone.

Things I like about the RC51:
-It's fast enough, but in a well controlled almost to the edge but never going over kind of way, on the track I can push it a lot farther then my CBR1000 as it just feels so stable.
-
I'm 6'4" and 208lbs, I want a bike with some weight to it under me and yeah this fat pig has it, but I believe that is what makes it feel so stable.

-The actual owners of the RC I have run into are the friendliest group of guys I have ever ment and just plain love the bike and more importantly love to ride it.

-This one might surprise some people but for me its very comfortable to ride, I rode to Mid Ohio and to Sturgis from Michigan this summer and other than normal discomfort you would feel on any bike after 300+ miles it was an enjoyable ride.

-Oh, its got V-twins!!! , I read somewhere someone describe the engine as that, to funny.

I couldn't be happier with the RC, and the great support for it on this sight and others.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 08:15 AM

1) That sound that is like nothing else.
2) You don't end up parking beside another one every time you stop.
3) It is reliable.
4) You get to meet all kinds of people because someone is always walking up to ask about it.
5) The seamless rush towards redline when you bury your wrist in it.
6) Picking up a sweet '04 for less than I could have gotten a new 600. No contest.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Alright I'll bite.

1) I like twins over I-4s. The power characteristics are what I prefer.
2) It's old school Honda, built with a quality you don't find these days (e.g. gear drive cams vs chain).
3) Cheaper than a Ducati and much less maintenance intensive than one (easier and cheaper to buy parts too).
4) Instead of heavy, I like think it's built like a tank (no frame cracking problems like '05-'06 Gixxers).
4) It's rarity over other sport bikes.
5) Stone cold reliable.
6) Relatively simple compared to today's bikes which makes it easier to work on (no transformers bodywork, catalytic converter, O2 sensor, etc.)
7) Still gets appreciative looks and comments even from those with far more sophisticated machines.
8) Love the sound of the engine and exhaust. Which is what drew me to as well.
9) It has a usable rear trunk to put things beyond a shop rag.

Things I don't like:
1) Honda ceasing improvements to the bike beyond SP2.
Would be fantastic to have an up to date 1200cc RC51 with lighter redesigned engine to counter KTM RC8R/Ducati 1198.
Unfortunately, Honda's "Power of Dreams" doesn't extend that far (at least for the RC51).

Last edited by SubSailor; 09-22-2011 at 09:24 AM.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
The reason I love my RC51 more than my other bikes: The bank does not own part of this one! It's all mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a serious note though, it was the handling that sold me. Then the rumble of that V twin, the looks, the rarity and then the price. I'll be honest, I would have paid twice what I paid for mine, I just love it that much.

2000 RC51 SP1
2007 Yamaha YZ450f
2002 Yamaha YZ125 (sold)
2007 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2004 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (sold)
1996 Honda RVF NC35 (sold)
1983 Kawasaki KX60 (wrecked)
1982 BSA Scrambler (wrecked)
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I honestly had no interest in one until a friend of mine bought one, told me about it, and threw me the keys for an afternoon. I bought one soon after that afternoon ride.

To really understand the appeal, I believe you need to ride one to understand the looks, sounds, power, handling and the harmonious balance of all of those elements.

What a great package.

Griff
twoeleven
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 02:55 PM

looks: unique but not striking, sounds: amazing, handling: solid, power: very strong yet controllable, comfort: non existent, pedigree: winner.

this is a really unique bike, makes you feel like a champ when you ride it fast and a chump if you ride it slow. solid like a tank and pulls like a locomotive. solid build quality and substantial feel of the whole package. i rode many bikes, and owned a few as well, so far this is my favorite track/fast riding bike.

2003 ZZR1200 - Galfer Lines, EBC HH Pads, Corbin Beetle Bags and Seat, Genmar Risers, Muzzy Full System. - Street.

2007 RSV1000R - Penske triple clicker, Ohlins forks, Ohlins steering damper, Leo Vince titanium full system, race ECU, Brembo mono-blocks, Braided lines, Race battery, etc.. - Track whore.

2004 Hemi Durango - Tow duty
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I bought the first year RC. I actually had a deposit down for the 2000 Kawasaki ZXx-12. At the time I was riding a ZX-11. When I heard rumors of the RC, I started doing my homework researching every piece of fact I could find on paper or the internet. Once I heard the rumor was true and that Honda would soon start sending them over, I called the dealer and had him switch my deposit to an RC. I took delviery in April of 2000.
Been in love with girl ever since. Now if Honda would just make a naked upright street fighter version with that motor, I'd be all over it.

ARSEY51
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Lifetime Premium

+1 to all of you!!

2003 Honda RC51 - 46K+
----------------------------------
PCIIIr, SATO low mount C/F, hotbodies undertail, SATO F/S, CRG shorty BRK & CLTCH levers, Magical Racing C/F speedo cover and rear hugger, HRC clutch & F Brake sock covers, Galfer SS lines all around, pair valve mod
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I bought mine as a merge into sport bikes. My VFR wasn't nearly extreme enough anymore.
So I started talking around and RC51 kept coming up. I don't follow racing, (becoming a big fan of TT tho) so I knew next to nothing, and just trusted the word of my friends.

Found one, good price, good bike, needed work. 8 months later, Number 100 is ready to live and ride again!
And does it ever! I just can't even imagine outgrowing this bike. The power and torque is all I can imagine being able to handle. And I think I can fix just about anything that might go wrong with it, that's a big plus. Don't like prissy machines.
But the bottom line for me: The RC51 rides and sounds the way a mans motorcycle is supposed to. Very machismo.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
1) Its paid for.
2) Always wanted one...in my case two, okay I want one of every year.
3) V Twins Rule
4) It sounds better than a Harley with 1000xs the performance.
5) People recognize it everywhere you go.
6) Its a Honda
7) Its main purpose in life was to kick Ducati's ass
8) Chicks dig it

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode