27 MPG currently

2004 RC51 Nicky Hayden, PCMIII, Sato-Low Mount
1994 FZR600, KTMSXC625 Thumper, Honda Metro, 150cc Puma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
You're burning rich. What sprockets you have?
Have a buddy follow you and ask them if they smell exhaust. That sweet sweet smell of unburnt fuel. Shonuff can tell you about that. He's getting somewhere around that for milage, and when I follow him, it smells like the 1/4 mile dragstrip

I get about 120 - 140 miles before my light comes on. always takes 3.6 gallons to fill back up. so about 36 mpg. Probably closer to 40-42 around town and normal freeway riding. 15/42 sprockets.

This may sound dumb, but make sure your choke is pushed in all the way. and your idle set at 1300.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Jondog, that's exactly why I was posting to see where I stand. Since the bike is newer to me I am just getting down to working off my priority list. It looks like its time to Dyno tune her. I think I am running so rich that I smell a little gas. I assume I dont have any leak and its not all the time. I have no clue what chain or sprocket I have (yet). I guess I will be counting teeth at some point
I also might try using the PC Map that is close to my bike. I have already downloaded to my PC and think I might not have anything to loose to try it.

2004 RC51 Nicky Hayden, PCMIII, Sato-Low Mount
1994 FZR600, KTMSXC625 Thumper, Honda Metro, 150cc Puma

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 12:02 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
That flat black residue on your exhaust exit caps, thick or just a residue? A custom map is just an extension of the PCIII investment.

I gues you will have to start a "Save the Spark Plugs" campaign

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The "choke" only raises the idle when cold, the ECU handles all the rich/lean business. One may say a raised idle is a waste of fuel but depending on the riding having a higher idle does not slow you down as much as when with low idle so in city riding this may save you some gas.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
John and I have the same gearing and after one long ride, having both filled up at the same time, he took on a whole gallon less than I did. I am running rich as is evident by the thick blackened exhaust ends and John's first hand testimony of my exhausts' smell
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 12:17 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonuff View Post
John's first hand testimony of my exhausts' smell
Why is it most folks will spend anywhere between $500 to $2,000 on exhaust and a PCIII but not a custom map along with it??? I am not picking on anyone in particular but this is a legitimate question to which I do not understnd the thought process?

You can thank me anytime jondog.....this was too easy.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I'm also geting 27mpg, when I only use her for the 6.5mile (1 way) ride to work. When cruzin the hwy im at about 40.

mods- slip ons, 16/42, 190/55

after some sport riding I do smell gas frm time to time

James
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You guys who are getting 30+ mpg do you have a custom map for your exhaust and a speed correction device for the change in sprocket tooth count or tire diameter? How do you ride? Ham-fisted or light throttle?

I get about 25-27 mpg at most with mixed city and highway riding. I have Sato low mounts with the Dan Kyle PC3r map installed. I have 15/42 gearing, 190/50 rear tire, and a Jim Ahlman speedo healer. Flapper mod has been done, but not the pair mod. Tire pressure is 32F/34R using Pilot Power 2ct.

My low gas warning light comes on at around 85 miles or so. Is there something drastically different from my setup that doesn't allow me to get 30+ mpg? I've even put in new plugs but it hasn't changed my mpg much if any. At 230lb, maybe it's my fat ass that's causing the low mpg!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon33 View Post
You guys who are getting 30+ mpg do you have a custom map for your exhaust and a speed correction device for the change in sprocket tooth count or tire diameter? How do you ride? Ham-fisted or light throttle?

I get about 25-27 mpg at most with mixed city and highway riding. I have Sato low mounts with the Dan Kyle PC3r map installed. I have 15/42 gearing, 190/50 rear tire, and a Jim Ahlman speedo healer. Flapper mod has been done, but not the pair mod. Tire pressure is 32F/34R using Pilot Power 2ct.

My low gas warning light comes on at around 85 miles or so. Is there something drastically different from my setup that doesn't allow me to get 30+ mpg? I've even put in new plugs but it hasn't changed my mpg much if any. At 230lb, maybe it's my fat ass that's causing the low mpg!
You're weight is the only difference between our set-ups. I have all the same stuff on my bike, including 15/42 sprockets. I run 34-35 rear and 36 front on Q2's. I weigh about 185-190 with gear. I'm running yosh lowmounts and PCIIIr w/DynoJet downloaded map for yosh.
I get about 28-30 when I'm wringing her out, about 38-40 when normal traffic riding.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode