Tire Hugger vs. Tire Size - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Tire Hugger vs. Tire Size

hey gang....for those of you that are running tire hugger what size tires are you running ? I ask as I am having a very difficult time getting my hugger to fit. My 190/55/17 is too tall, but I am concerned that if OI go to a 190/50/17 it might not handle as well

Thoughts ?

2001 SP1 - Code Name F-Bomb - PCIII USB / D&D High Mount System / 42T / EK SRX 530X / CRG Levers / K&N Filters / Stomp Grip / Rev Limiter Mod / Flapper Mod / PAIR Mod / Undertail / Hugger / 6K HID Lights / Speigler lines / Wave Rotors / CF Airbox / Shorai Battery - More to come, as soon as my slush fund get's more "Slushy" !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I'm running a 190/55 and using the TYGA hugger with no issues. I know people who track the bikes with this combination have had issues getting the tyre warmers on. Is your chain the correct length?

Jimmy
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Can you shim it up, like with a custom cut thick gasket? Or fab up a couple thick sheet metal shims?
I'd take the performance of the 190/55 before I changed tire sizes to accommodate the hugger. I've felt the difference (tire sizes) and it was obvious on my bike.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a Magical Racing hugger and it fits my 190/55 fine. One side was a little close to the right "edge" of the tire, so I sanded it in a little and resealed it for clearance. That was an issue with my 190/50, the 55 fit the same so no issues for me. I'd sand or shim it if possible, and check the chain situation.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Can you shim it up, like with a custom cut thick gasket? Or fab up a couple thick sheet metal shims?
I'd take the performance of the 190/55 before I changed tire sizes to accommodate the hugger. I've felt the difference (tire sizes) and it was obvious on my bike.
190/55 is the best never look back

• Penske triple adjustable shock Moriwaki linkage
  • forks , valves , springs ,top-out mod
  • Moriwaki rearsets
  • Carbon Airbox heatshielding custom K&N panel filter
  • Power Commander USB
  • Galfer superbike full foating rotors - SS braided lines
  • Brembo 19 RCS Adjustable Ratio Radial Brake Master Cylinder
  • DID 520 gold chain
  • CRG folding clutch lever
  • Relocated battery Shortened wiring harness
  • Flapper PAIR EVAP removed
  • Soft Rev limiter removed
  • 15/41 gears 520
  • Vortex clip-ons
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi guys...thanks for the suggestions. I will try and fab or have a shim fab'd before dropping down in tire size.

2001 SP1 - Code Name F-Bomb - PCIII USB / D&D High Mount System / 42T / EK SRX 530X / CRG Levers / K&N Filters / Stomp Grip / Rev Limiter Mod / Flapper Mod / PAIR Mod / Undertail / Hugger / 6K HID Lights / Speigler lines / Wave Rotors / CF Airbox / Shorai Battery - More to come, as soon as my slush fund get's more "Slushy" !
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Tyga Fitment w/ 190/55

This is a BT016 with the Tyga hugger mounted. The gap is pretty good. (It looks crooked because I could not get that big ass camera between the tire and undertail with the lic. plate one )

This is the adhesive backed foam I used to seal between the swing arm and the hugger. This foam compresses real easy but it is dense.

Here is a look from the rt side....gap looks okay to me

And another closer...you may see a little of the foam I fitted, which I will fix later.

Again, this is a Bridgestone with one season on it (which will be changed in the spring) The profiles of different tire makers are items that may concern some but what I am seeing for clearance, will have no issues later.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 11:03 PM

Those chicken strips are not acceptible. Neither is that flat top tire.

Hugger looks good. Leave it to an Indyatonian to use scotchbrite as a gasket

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Those chicken strips are not acceptible. Neither is that flat top tire.

Hugger looks good. Leave it to an Indyatonian to use scotchbrite as a gasket
I think I did fairly well after a 3 year hiatus....that rt side was a tough one for me this year, left is perfectly roasted. Maybe next season Thats the side my bum knee is on and that will be my excuse

That damn flat spot is from these here roads, I have to ride at least 40 minutes south to get into the river valley.

Thanks on the hugger, Tyga makes it easy for sure. It makes my red brake line stand out a little too.

Leave it to a Labia Shepard to not know that folks from Indiana are know as Hoosiers.....you need to get out of Californy more

That scotch brite is some mighty handy shit....you should see what I did with the rolls of duct tape

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post

I think I did fairly well after a 3 year hiatus....that rt side was a tough one for me this year, left is perfectly roasted. Maybe next season Thats the side my bum knee is on and that will be my excuse

That damn flat spot is from these here roads, I have to ride at least 40 minutes south to get into the river valley.

Thanks on the hugger, Tyga makes it easy for sure. It makes my red brake line stand out a little too.

Leave it to a Labia Shepard to not know that folks from Indiana are know as Hoosiers.....you need to get out of Californy more

That scotch brite is some mighty handy shit....you should see what I did with the rolls of duct tape
Yes, I need a hugger. After less than one year paint on my swingarm is peppered with chips.

Yea, yea, I saw the Gene Hackman movie, I know Indy is the Hoosier State. I dont know what a hoosier is tho

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode