RC51 Forums banner

batteries:i'm shopping for one. share you thoughts

6K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Joe XR 
#1 ·
I am determined to finish my sp1 project before summer starts this year. I have some electrical items to finish out and my battery is and has been shot for a while now (part of the reason why I had such a long break from the project).:eek:
Anyways.. I am sure the shorai with be mentioned and I am not ruling it out.. but hoping for something a little easier on the wallet. mainly I am mulling over the options listed here at BATTERYSTUFF.COM because prices are right and customer service is top notch. prices and warranties are better than my local autoparts/bike store. the scorpion lithium is peaking my interest.
http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/motorcycle/honda/2000/1000cc-rvt1000r-rc51/

Also wonder what folks have to say about MOTOBATT brand among others.

thanks for you thoughts.

#9 ·
I will be on my third season with a Ballistic with no issues. Cranks great, no hesitation of bogging down. Very good product. Buy the optional charger for $35 at some point too. I charge mine after the season and put it inside for the winter.:cool:

#7 ·
I have a Shorai nowadays and love how lightweight it is, the cost is steep (compared to regular batteries) but the tradeoff is worth it IMHO on "heavier" bikes like the RC.

After I first purchased the bike (used), I replaced the original battery with a Bikemaster TruGel (suggested since you need something cheap). Haven't had any problems with either battery, kept the TruGel as a spare.

I say you just bite the bullet and pony up for the Shorai from the start IMHO.

#8 ·
Power Panache.

Hello, @COBRA90GT.
I wholeheartedly agree with you.
It's either Shorai ... .. . or being stuck on the highway for me.
Take Care & stay warm.
I already am. I need some of your cold weather where I am !!

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
i had my mind on this one.. 350+ cca, 2lbs, less than $150

Scorpion Stinger
◦The highest standard in Lithium powersports batteries available.
◦Heavyweight punching power in a featherweight package.
◦Scorpion Stinger LiFePo4 batteries are lighter and perform better than their competition.
◦More options. Scorpion Stinger makes available more case sizes than any other Lithium battery manufacturer, meaning you get a battery that fits your application as it was meant to.
◦Cells are internally balanced-no special charger necessary
◦2 year free replacement, with additional 1 year pro rated from date of purchase when used in prescribed applications*
http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/lithium-iron-batteries/sstz14s-fp.html

#14 ·
Have a gell in the RC at the moment, forget the brand though. If and when either battery goes south I'm going Shorai on both ethe RC and the Wing.
I'd go that route on the sleds and RZR too but not sure about the cold weather performance yet, need more info/testing/reports. The RZR gets lots of use in the winter for plowing snow and working the winch really taxes the battery. Use an Optimate 3 on all my units in the off season and if they sit for a time, worked well for me for 5 years but nothing lasts forever.

#16 ·
I had a Ballistic too and loved it. Until if fried my stator all to hell.

I really recommend the stock batter supplied from the factory. Yeah, it's heavy, but your electrical system was designed around that battery and nothing else.

Even changing headlight bulbs to higher wattage can screw with your charging system.

Stock is the way to go

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.