front and rear brake use? tips and info please - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
DGI

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
front and rear brake use? tips and info please

coming off of a Vrod i used both brakes together most of the time...

How do you seasoned sport bike riders choose to use your brakes? i hear many only use the front brake while others suggest using both... what works, when does it work, etc...

DGI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yes, Use both please.

http://www.lazymotorbike.eu/tips/braking/

http://www.bikerhiway.com/motorcycle...e_braking.html

"...Loctite -- or kiss your nuts goodbye..."
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Even out of the box, the brakes on these bikes are really powerful. Given what you are used to riding (especially what you're used to) if you end up on an RC, take the time to 'get the feel' of the way it brakes. This is no power cruiser! It's the first thing I do every year when I roll the bikes out of the garage, go do a bunch of skill exercises and practice panic stops (once the roads are warm enough and free from winter sand and debris). You'll be glad you did. Knowing just exactly how much braking force you can apply whithout locking up will save your a$$ ifyou ever have the need to do it for real.
Yes, use both brakes, but in properly co-ordinated fashion. Stomping hard on the pedal will wash out the rear end in a slide that will quickly take you down just as locking the front will lose all directional control in a heartbeat. I live in the country where Bambi and Bullwinkle roam freely and often; I have to know how to use my brakes instictlively in order to survive. Oscar and Minnie Grope on the streets in their belchfire Buick are just as likely to appear out of nowhere too.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
I ride around at a pace on most tracks that will qualify me for the AMA Superbike grid. I rarely touch my rear brake. For a long time I had even disconnected the rear line on my 1000RR in an effort to show my track students that it simply wasn't needed.

The cream of the crop elite MotoGP riders use the rear brake as a tool with great effectiveness, but for the vast majority of us it is just one more thing to make a mistake with. Even Doug Chandler told me he only uses the rear brake in the paddock - maybe. Never on the track. So if an ex superbike champion doesn't need to use it then neither do we...

For the record as a street rider I used to use the rear brake a lot but once I got into track riding and instructing I quickly learned that there is just too many ways to make a critical mistake with it. There are rare exceptions like the back kink at Barber where I would drag the rear brake a little going through that kink with the throttle pinned to the stop because on the exit the track goes off camber ever so slightly and wheel spin in that position is bad to say the least, but by far and large the rear brake is simply just best left alone. The front brake is way more effective and won't cause you any grief due to ineffective or to a lesser extent incorrect use.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 03:06 PM

Any modern sportbike will have much more powerful front brakes compared to the rear. I don't use the rear except to the hold the bike at a stoplight. I'm also no AMA contender but I do like to do the occasional trackday and I haven't touched the rear on track yet.

I've had my dad (an avid HD rider) on my R1 and RC51 before and I've had to assure him the front brakes are all he needed.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
If I had a dollar for every time I have been sitting at a stoplight and some ignorant Hardly rider comes screaming up to or through the intersection with the rear tire locked up and smoking I could buy him a new rear tire with the money
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
If I had a dollar for every time I have been sitting at a stoplight and some ignorant Hardly rider comes screaming up to or through the intersection with the rear tire locked up and smoking I could buy him a new rear tire with the money
I especially like it when the front end chatters and the eyes of the rider of noise maker are bulging out of his skull.

Rear brakes are to be used to kick the rear tire out for a little slide action....but that is it really.

Look at the technology most of the makers use...that little single piston Nissin unit that they mass produce by the millions. Cutting edge there.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 01:13 PM

Being a MSF instructor, we teach students to use both brakes together. I also teach the effects of "mistreating" either or both brakes (like grabbing the front or stomping the rear). Out on the street I use front more than rear--sometimes draggin the rear if needed to bleed off a little speed in a curve--also maybe using a little front in trail braking in the twisties.

In my garage: 2008 Hayabusa, 2004 RC51, 2007 Interceptor, 2006 VTX 1300, 2009 KLR 650, 2012 Can-Am Spyder
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 06:42 PM

I tend to use both brakes riding 2up just cause there is extra weight there and i use the rear brake rarely riding alone except like said to bleed off a little speed or a corner. Ive also been practicing sliding the rear thru the corner so thats what the rear brake is being used for
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 03:20 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I use both on the street and the track. I think that not using it at all, but leaving it there is probably and bad idea. If you don't use it, there is no point in the extra weight other than having a backup to the front system. Which is very unlikely to ever fail if kept in working order.

My reasoning for using both is that if I am more aware and comfortable with using the rear, if I know where it's limits are then I am better off. If I am in a panic situation, and have rarely used the thing it will be very easy to panic and lock it up. If I am not familiar with how the bike responds to it, and I don't have that subconscious reaction already ingrained, I'll do exactly the wrong thing. Do you really want your first experience with locking up the rear to be while you are in a panic stop situation? But if you use it regularly, and know how the bike will respond, then you will do the correct thing without even thinking about it.

The other highly beneficial reasons to use the rear brake are the fact that it is weak, placed in the rear and is better for any off track or offroad "excursions". With it being weak and placed in the rear, I like to use it better to *slightly* scrub off speed during a corner, usually the exit if needed, or to stop an unintentional wheelie. It is easier to make these small adjustments than using the throttle or front brake. Depending in what kind of surface you wind up on while going off track, the rear brake will help more than the front. I've seen quite a few guys go off the track straight up and down in an easily recoverable situation, grab the front brake and do an instant faceplant.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Last edited by b.miller123; 01-15-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode