Exporting an RC51 from the States. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Exporting an RC51 from the States.

On Saturday night at near zero temps, I rode my RC to a friend's apartment to go out for the evening together. Even in the cold it's fun to ride. Another month & Spring will be here!

As I arrived, he came down to look at the SP2, something he almost always does.
He was a biker in UK too before moving to Japan, so always has an itch to get another. He's ridden mine and always says he'd like an SP2 as well, but he gets stuck on the lure of newer "faster" bikes but also says he wants a bike to keep for a very long time so he can modify and improve it, etc.

After dinner we watched "Fastest" and then spent a good 3 hours looking at Japanese classifieds as all the different possible sports bikes available...
We looked a 916's and I told him they're high maintenance! Looked at GSX-R's, CBR1000's and Aprilias, which are slightly more than a good SP2, but being newer models will depreciate a lot into the long term future. Besides which, they'll lose their desirability as newer models replace them, but RC's won't. I've been explaining that RC51ís are the only V twin WSB homologation model made by Honda and there wonít be another, so itís unique.

I'm almost there, but SP2's in Japan are fairly expensive compared to the US (Because of the poor value of the US$) So I've got him looking there to see what's available & he's seen a few interesting bikes. But then there's the obvious challenge.

Once we find a bike in the States, how will we get it to Japan? We know there are companies that will crate and ship bikes, but don't know of any as we've never exported a bike from there. Does anybody know of a good company that would check a bike and note all cosmetic faults, crate it then get it transported & shipped to us in Japan?
Any help much appreciated!

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
http://www.nissin-tw.co.jp/nissine/l...aku/cover.html

Try these guys. They have officies in the Mid-West and on each coast. May cost a bit but they can do the job.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I don't know if this helps, but I have a thought after reading your post Stig.
If by chance you we're to find a CA RC51, would that have any advantage towards meeting Japans emissions req's? CA has a pretty decent inventory at any given time and the majority of them aren't ever ridden in the rain. I would avoid the San Francisco area, (high mileage, overpriced, salt air), but anywhere else, especially LA.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Thanks guys for your replies.
Japanese emissions requirements aren't high, about the same as for European bikes.
Just needs to have an original exhaust with stamped numbers for the test, the rest can be as modified as we want.
Good point on corrosive air, Jondog9. Will keep that in mind.

Have found a couple of companies that might be possibilities through searching the internet:

http://www.haulbikes.com/ship_motorcycle.html
http://www.motoship.com/international.php

No idea if they're good yet, so on the lookout for other possible recommendations.
We have a customer in the UK who buys classic bikes from the States to send to UK so I've sent him a mail too. Would be cool to import a bike from the States. There are some RVT's here in Japan too.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
What's the import duty for Japan? That could be substantial, plus any other taxes?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
What's the import duty for Japan? That could be substantial, plus any other taxes?
Import duty is 5% in Japan. Bike tax is about $60 a year and annual weight tax & shaken costs are also small for a bike. Customs clearing will probably cost about $1,300 or so. Paperwork's a pain, but we have staff who do that with our usual line of work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode