New Rc51 owner with some questions - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New Rc51 owner with some questions

Great site! i just baught a mint 2000 sp1 that ive always wanted since i was a kid. I was wondering wht the idol rpms should be set at? the bike came set at around 1200 at idol that just does not feel correct to me? I have never drove a twin or even a powerful bike like this before but it feels like it just does not like slower speeds ??? like 30 or so in traffic???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Idle speed should be closer to 1300rpm at normal operating temp >180°. As the engine temp approaches 200° the idle will reach as high as 1500rpm perfectly normal.

No large displacement V-twin sportbike likes slow or stop & go speeds. The engine absolutely does not like to be lugged or even ran below about 4000 rpm when it can be helped. They have a heavy flywheel needed to keep the engine turning over between power pulses which leads to a lot of nasty on/off snatchy throttle complaints.

Post #16 will explain much of that
https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/sho...?t=6214&page=2
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Slow speeds

Thanks for the info! I am sorry if this is really stupid, but are slow speeds in stop and go traffic mechanically bad for the bike?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 03:08 PM

Technically yes, you never really want to lug any internal combustion engine period. The RC51 is a terrible commuter bike in every aspect. It has poor cramped ergonomics, dismal fuel economy and tank range plus it runs very hot in stop & go traffic. None of those are desirable traits on your daily ride to and from work...

Lots of clutch slippage on tall gearing also leads to of course clutch wear and those clutch particles end up floating around in your oil which as everybody knows is the lifeblood of any engine.

On the flipside it is a Honda and take quite a bit of abuse.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Well as soon as i heard one in person for the first time i had to have one. I have a strange commute here in upstate Ny, im through a little bumper to bumper for three miles or so which the opens up to a major expressway for 25 miles or so gonig 70mph +. Do you think this will be ok? also what is the normal mpg ? i believe the tank is 4.8 gallons. How far will that take you
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 03:23 PM

It will be fine. Mileage will vary by each individuals riding style, exhaust choice, mapping etc.

With the Sato's and the Sato map I used to get about 85 miles before the fuel light came on during aggressive riding and no more than 115 miles of just spirited riding.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Thank You

Thanks for the info! Big Help, stock pipes cruise speeds at 70 or so?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hey ROC...ride it like you stole !!! Congrats !!

2001 SP1 - Code Name F-Bomb - PCIII USB / D&D High Mount System / 42T / EK SRX 530X / CRG Levers / K&N Filters / Stomp Grip / Rev Limiter Mod / Flapper Mod / PAIR Mod / Undertail / Hugger / 6K HID Lights / Speigler lines / Wave Rotors / CF Airbox / Shorai Battery - More to come, as soon as my slush fund get's more "Slushy" !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode