Fuel leak - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fuel leak

Just wondering if anyone has had a fuel leak on there rc from the bottom of the tank looks like its coming from the rear shock. Let me explain I been noticing a leak little amounts at a time it started one cold morning. During warm up I seen the rear exhaust pipe smoking near the rear shock. Well at that time didn't smell like fuel when the exhaust was burning it off it almost smelled like chain lube. Well today I seen on my right side ( as you sit on it ) on the swing arm where the frame connects a full on leak. It smells like fuel but when I collect is sample of it enough to where if I put a flame on it. It could start a fire if it was fuel. Well it didn't catch fire just smoked lol. Anyways well I had to inspect deeper so I removed the rear tail seat and unbolted the fuel tank from the front to allow it to swing. What i was looking for was possible fuel lines or fuel pump leaking and it's dry. But I did notice from the very bottom of the tank more of this mystery fluid lol. Well needless to say I'm not sure if it could be the fuel tank but you would think if it was the tank the fluid would be flammable. The fluid is thinker then fuel. I have not taken the fuel tank off completely off which I will tomorrow. But I was thinking if the rear shock would have popped its seal or something would that fluid have almost a fuel smell and thicker then fuel ? Reason I ask is because looking at the rear shock its just as wet ad the bottom of the tank. Looking to see if anyone has ever had something similar to this problem and could maybe give me an idea of possible failures. I have my service guide so like I said tomorrow tanks comes off to really inspect.

Anyways thanks again guys if you can help always looking for info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 01:28 AM

https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/sea...earchid=133062

Yes people have had the problem. Its from the tank. the rear seam for the mount. Some people have had them replaced from Honda while others fixed it themselves in multiple ways.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixr2 View Post
https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/sea...earchid=133062

Yes people have had the problem. Its from the tank. the rear seam for the mount. Some people have had them replaced from Honda while others fixed it themselves in multiple ways.
Really you would think they would recall something like that it's a huge danger. Tanks for the info

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 09:41 AM

tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locomoco View Post
Really you would think they would recall something like that it's a huge danger. Tanks for the info
I hear ya on that. I have a "Near" perfect 2000 tank hanging in my basement that leaks.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I've heard of several leaking gas tanks right at the exact point you describe Locomoco. My tank was one of them. Honda is not consistant about who gets covered and who gets screwed. It really pisses me off that some people get new tanks and some don't! I didn't. (Can you tell?) If you've done anything at all to try to fix the tank-no luck. If you want to make a claim with Honda, I suggest you do it now, cause once a welder has touched that tank, or you've made any other attempt (like those tank liners that DONT work) your SOL. I had mine rewelded by a good welder at a radiator shop. If it's done carefully, it wont show on the paint that is exposed beyond the seat.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/sho...4097#post44097

post #9

My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Well I'm keeping my finger crossed. I talked to my service guy at my local Honda dealership and he said he's going to see what he can do for me. He said he's going to vouch for me that the bike has been well taken care of an that all service has been done. I should find out all details tomorrow. I hope it works out for the best and most of you are right I don't want to put anything on it because it don't work. If Honda makes the choice to screw me well looks like welding is the best way to go. I'm going to seek out a good welder that can repair without damage to the the paint
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 01:33 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locomoco View Post
Well I'm keeping my finger crossed. I talked to my service guy at my local Honda dealership and he said he's going to see what he can do for me. He said he's going to vouch for me that the bike has been well taken care of an that all service has been done. I should find out all details tomorrow. I hope it works out for the best and most of you are right I don't want to put anything on it because it don't work. If Honda makes the choice to screw me well looks like welding is the best way to go. I'm going to seek out a good welder that can repair without damage to the the paint
First of all, let me say that I am fully aware of your concern. I felt the same way in the first place.
That's been said, if I was buying an RC right now, I would take the tank out for welding even if it didn't leak already. That's because the OEM weldings are not that good. Not in their quality but in their quantity.
I strongly believe that Honda should weld the mounting part all the way around on the tank because the bike is a V2 and it has a lot of vibrations.
If you go with welding it, you should consider a solid fact that the paint work will be damaged due to the welding temperatures.

My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

I been reading that most of the damage to the tank when welding will be done bellow and is possible that damage past the seat can be avoided if done correct and if the welder takes his time and allowing for cooling and possible cool cloths around the area where you don't want damage. I wonder how much a new tank is. Because if I have to buy one I'm taking my old tank and throwing it thru hondas window lol. Na I would never do that but sounds fun. Kind of like that old lady from the discount tire commercial. Man what a bummer this is. Honda letting people have a fuel leak that can cause serious harm. Makes me wonder what else they would do to cover up there mistake. I mean really if you care about your customers do what it takes and make it right by people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode