Rc is running really hot?? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rc is running really hot??

Please excuse the lack of knowledge due to I'm new into the Rc world. Ive always owned i4's but I was seeking something a little different so I chose myself a 2000 rc51. Knowing very little about them I bought one for a good price last week. I finally took it for a ride the other day when it was warmer out (about 40 degrees) during the ride which was 15 mins into it I noticed my temp was consistently 230-235. The previous owner who never even rode it bought it as I did. It has a manual fan switch, so of course I turned it on as soon as I started the bike. Now the little research I have done tell's me that Rc's tend to run hotter then regular bike's but every post I found people were around 210-225. Does anyone have any sort of idea what the issue could be or is there a way to significantly drop my temps. Bikes mods are pc3, morwaki slip-ons, k&n filter, and it has just over 10k. Once again I apologize for newbie knowledge and I love my Rc!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 04:46 AM
Banned

Is there enough fluid in the rad or the overflow?? That's the first thing I would check...

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
The second thing I would do is test/replace the radiator cap. If it's not opening/releasing pressure as you ride, the temp will increase. But you said it was only about 40degrees outside when you were riding? Maybe you have an improper map on your power commander causing the bike to run to lean? That could elevate temps.
Or you could have a faulty thermostat. (Although my experience has been that they normally stick open, not closed)
If the thermostat is faulty, you can do a bit of a visual check. Starting with the bike completely cold, remove the right fairing, bike leaning on sidestand. Remove the radiator cap, start the bike and let it warm up. Watch the fluid in the radiator, it should be pretty still until the temp reaches about 172F. Then you should see the coolant swirling in the rad. That means the thermostat is open. Now that it's circulating, continue to run the bike and watch the temparture. Snap the throttle a couple times - as per the Service Manual - You may even see some bubbles burb out of the radiator. If that happens, that could be part or all of the problem.
I don't expect the bike should warm up more than about 190. if it does than I suspect circulation problems. The coolant should be swirling pretty good in the radiator: if it's not, that means,
1. Thermostat may be stuck closed. Check ALL hoses and clamps, make sure the smaller hoses, like the overflow hose that goes from the rad to the overflow bottle, are flowing.
2. Waterpump may be failing. Look closely at the waterpump inspection hose. There should be zero sign of leakage. If there is, you could have a waterpump bearing going out.

Section 6 of the Service Manual details everything I just went over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Waterpump InspHose.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	2370  

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
And that bearing is quite a task to be replaced I might add ......well said jondog9!

My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 08:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
While in the process of following the above instructions and maybe changing your fluids, switch the coolant over to Engine Ice. It helps the bike run cooler and has anti freeze properties.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

I just called the previous owner. He said while he owned it he changed all fluids and flushed the system and used engine ice. Tomorrow I'm going to take the fairings off to expose everything and try and figure if there is flow or not. I just picked up a service manual today as well so hopefully that will help some what. Thanks for all the replys and the write up jondog9. When I took of the rad cap today it had some pressure in it and I haven't started it in 4 days so it sat. I'm not to sure why there was pressure in it or if that's bad?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
I don't expect the bike should warm up more than about 190. if it does than I suspect circulation problems.
Why wouldn't the bike warm more than 190? Should it not go up to the usual fan click over at 219-220?

I'm just curious as I'm going to flush my fluid soon. My bike will go to 219 before the fan clicks on and she cools down to about 211-212 ish when started from cold and in my garage or just riding around. It's on engine ice now and I will be switching to distilled water/water wetter.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasrider View Post
Why wouldn't the bike warm more than 190? Should it not go up to the usual fan click over at 219-220?

I'm just curious as I'm going to flush my fluid soon. My bike will go to 219 before the fan clicks on and she cools down to about 211-212 ish when started from cold and in my garage or just riding around. It's on engine ice now and I will be switching to distilled water/water wetter.
That's a great point dasrider.
My reasoning is this: OP mentioned cold weather (that a warmer day was 40 degrees), so figured with bike running, cold weather, and no rad cap to build pressure, that the bike won't get that warm.
But perhaps your right, maybe it would reach 200 or above. Mine sure didn't, and that was last summer when it was about 90 degrees outside.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

So far it looks like the guy only put in a half a gallon of engine ice. The rad was pretty low so I added some and burped the system. Idling it hit about 180 and I turned on the fan an it dropped to mid 160's then I shut the bike off. Unfortunately it just snowed so I won't be riding anytime soon...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 08:06 AM

Manual fan switch?

Ok time for a really stupid question! I just got a 2000 sp1 with 29 k on it totally stock and looks and runs like new. I live in upstate ny and have not even been a le to drive it more then a mile or two. I read something on here about a manual fan switch? Does this mean the bike will over heat if I don't turn a fan on? I have never owned a car or bike that does not do this automatically? Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode