Driving me crazy! - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Driving me crazy!

Hey guys,
I posted a thread about two weeks ago about my 2000 rc and a coolant issue I had. It turned out the previous owner didn't burp the system correctly and the radiator was low (or so I thought). After filling the system up I took it for a ride about an hour or so with zero issue's and it never got above 200 degree's on a day that was 60. Two days ago I went for another ride for about 2 hours. At the beginning it was perfect never above 190 on the highway or stop and go traffic. On our way home it started getting warm above 200 so I turned the fans on 15 mins later it hit 235 with the fans still on. Three day's later I ripped it apart to find that the radiator was almost empty (it had some pressure in the system when i pulled the cap off) so I pulled it apart further to do a compression check. It was cold when I did so, front cylinder was 153psi and rear was 152psi. There is no water in my oil, the cylinder's and spark plugs have a little carbon on them, and it doesn't seem to smell like coolant when it run's. I went to check the thermostat and there was about 1 oz. of coolant, and no thermostat. The coolant seemed to smell like gas/exhaust fume's and the overflow bottle is really full. The person riding behind me said every time I jumped on the throttle something liquid would come out from the bottom of my bike. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 02:48 PM

Check for coolant from the waterpump weep tube.

2000 VTRSP1
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Looks like SubSailor posted some things for you to troubleshoot in your other, duplicate thread - might want to check over there...

https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6522

'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC51
-Competition Werkes FE w/
Clear Alternatives IT

'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR (sold '15)
'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold '11)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRA90GT View Post
Looks like SubSailor posted some things for you to troubleshoot in your other, duplicate thread - might want to check over there...

https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6522

I reposted in general because I had better luck in this part of the forum in the past. Yes I did try what he said and nothing leaked out of the FPR diaphragm. I bought a new bottle of engine ice and compared it to the stuff that came from the bike. It was cloudy and significantly darker than the new stuff. I also don't see any signs of coolant in the water pump weep tube. It kind of making me think head gasket but I was hoping someone would chime in and tell me that I'm wrong seeing that the bike only have 10k on it an I've only owned it for unde a month.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
So, we've got low compression on both cylinders (152-153 vs 176 PSI), no thermostat, and coolant that has a possible scent of fuel or combustion gases.
Plus elevated coolant temps with fan(s) running, with frequent low coolant levels, and also with the overflow tank frequently being full.
Also, when the engine is put under high load, there's reported fluid dripping from beneath the bike.
The coolant pump bypass doesn't show any fluid leakage. And the oil doesn't show cloudiness from coolant contamination.

On the surface, it does sound somewhat like a bad head gasket or warped cylinder head.
One possibility is the head gasket is leaking at an area where the compression/combustion gases are leaking into the coolant jacket, but not into the lubrication system.
That's one possible explanation of the low cylinder compression readings.

There, the cooling system is getting pressurized by the combustion gases, possibly causing the radiator cap to relieve, and sending coolant down to the overflow tank.
Does the overflow tank area show liquid residue (wet or dry), or is the tank cap popped off?

Because the cooling system may be having gases induced, the engine could be getting overheated due to steam bubbles forming in the water jackets as well.

The thermostat could have been removed to treat the symptom rather than the problem, to try and cool the engine.

The only way to really check or correct this situation is to remove the heads, and check for blown head gaskets or warped heads.
And will probably require removal of the engine.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Thank you subsailor, the cap on the tank stays on and there is a bit of residue on the overflow hose. I was really hoping in the light of the situtation that the engine wouldn't have to come out. When replace the head gaskets is it common to replace anything else when doing so. I suppose thats why I picked it up at a really decent price and atleast it's not summer yet.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Maybe try to re-torque the head bolts first. I have seen these come loose and give the symptoms of head gasket failure.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Update: today I filled the system back up with distilled water and did a leak down test with 150psi. The only air I heard moving was through the exhaust but nothing thru the radiator or bubble's. I took off the water pump inspection plate and the coolant that ran out of the lines was really dark, cloudy, and smelled like fuel. The pump seems to spin fine but someone had already opened it up because there was grey silicone all over the place. I also drained the oil and there's no water. The radiator cap test was really odd, the median pressue it held was 12psi with a 1.1 bar cap. I'm going in circles pulling my hair out trying to narrow down on a possibility. Head gaskets I can have in 3 day's but can it be a cracked head. I've never been so confused with one issue??
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiad989 View Post
but can it be a cracked head.
Not to pour salt in your wounds but yes it can be. I have had motorcycle and cars "weep".

When the engine is cold, all is fine. Once the heat builds up to operating temperature, the leak or bubbling in the rads happen.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode