so far so good! - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so far so good!

So as some of you know not long after getting my bike the counter shaft bearing went out in my tranny. So after tearing down my whole engine and lots of help from Ben (rc51parts.com) she back together now and im taking baby steps to make sure everything is working ok. I must say that I love the way this bike runs and sounds and it was actually a lot of fun doing all the work on the bike. So far the bike hasn't been ridden real far, but holds a steady temp of 73* c (is this about normal?).

Now that being said after further examining of the bike I was wondering are fully adjustable front and rear shocks a stock component of the bikes. Also, the bike has a full 2into1 yoshi exhaust and that being said has anybody experienced any draw backs to full exhaust systems? The reason I ask is because the bike pulls like a mad monster, but.... once in sixth gear the bike doesn't like to cruise at a steady speed. Is this due to not enough back pressure from the full exhaust? Now I have noticed in tearing down the bike that some mods have been made (some I haven't the slightest idea). For example, I have a plug in the wiring harness that has two wires (green) soldered together under the fuel tank among other stuff. Also I noticed from looking at the manual im missing the air guide plate for the front of the motor.

I don't have a pc3 or aftermarket airbox or filters. The bike was most likely a race bike because its covered in race rairings.

Sorry for the long read but I just wanted to inform everybody of my progress.

Last edited by RC51bullet; 03-25-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 10:20 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Just glad you got it back running....now let her go eat once you feel comfortable. 163 degrees F isn't bad. These bike run on the warm side usually. I use Engine Ice to keep mine cooler.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Im excited to get her out and stretch her legs.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
As a side note, the exhaust is a 2 into 1 Jardine, but with a Yoshimura muffler.
It's how mine came when I bought it.

When I first got my bike, the mapping on the PCIIIr was totally whacked.
It was so lean at 5800 RPM, the power fell right off and it would start misfiring.
I got it remapped and everything was fine afterwards.

Last edited by SubSailor; 03-25-2012 at 10:53 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
As a side note, the exhaust is a 2 into 1 Jardine, but with a Yoshimura muffler.
It's how mine came when I bought it.
Thanks, thats actually good to know.

I think with the full exhaust thou it lacks the required back pressure for a lot of cruising. I had the same problem on my cbr954 when i had a full exhaust on it after deleting the hvac system.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 09:52 AM

Oh wow this is good reading. Thanks for the update and the pic of the bike your right it does have race fairings on it. Well being a new owner of a rc51 and having to do what you went thru shows a passion for the ride. Now as far as the temp goes on your bike the others that posted are correct they do run on the warm side. I'm in las Vegas and my bike can be normal at 220*f. Now don't feel so bad because we all go thru some sort of problem with our bikes. Like right now I'm dealing with Honda with trying to warranty my fuel tank that's leaking and they are pisssing me the [email protected]@@ off. But that's my issue. On the flip side Honda of America did say they are will to cover half the cost of the tank. But I'm trying to get it all covered. But I will tell you what bro everything we do for our bikes to keep them going and looking good is awesome the reward is on the road or track these bikes are truly in a class of there own. I'm looking to buy a 2nd rc51 now I'm looking for a sp2 i want to have both models I know there are a few changes but having both would just be awesome. Anyways I'm getting a little winded here. Good job bro its nice to see a fellow like minded person bring back one from the dead.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
163 is kinda low actually. It doesn't get any higher just idling?

I think the thermostat is supposed to open at 174 or something like that. It sounds like yours is stuck open.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
163 is kinda low actually. It doesn't get any higher just idling?

I think the thermostat is supposed to open at 174 or something like that. It sounds like yours is stuck open.
I will say the other day it actually got up to 75*c, but I've had to work on her since pretty much the day I got her lol. Is it possible that the previous owner could take out the thermostat completely like they use to do in older vehicles when the thermostats would go out instead of replacing them? But I haven't ridden her much plus I live in the country so I don't see a bunch of stop and go traffic which may help her stay cool.

I love riding and I was so excited the day when I got her because I have always wanted an rc51. So im willing to do what ever work is required and besides I love working on stuff so its a win/win for me.

Thanks to everybody for your input and advise.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51bullet View Post
my cbr954 when i had a full exhaust on it after deleting the hvac system.
Man, that is a rare model with air conditioning.....

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
163 is kinda low actually. It doesn't get any higher just idling?I think the thermostat is supposed to open at 174 or something like that. It sounds like yours is stuck open.
I agree. According to what I can remember from the manual, the thermostat will begin to open at 167. It's fully open at 174. When the outdoors temperature is around 50 to 60 degrees F. and about 35 to 40% humidity, my bike will warm up to about ~185 at an idle, before I go riding and put any load on the engine.

When I first read the initial post I thought that sounded a few degrees to cool. From what I understand, you should be running at least 180 - 190 for the optimum performance from the factory fuel map, and up to ~220F. Seriously, get a powercommander and a decent map for that full exhaust. Cause you can bet your current factory fuel map is all wrong for the full exhaust system you have.

By now you've figured out to check the thermstat, Cause unless it's real cold in your garage, I think you're temp should reach a little higher.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode