Steering Dampner's - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Question Steering Dampner's

Hey gang,
Tried searching here and on Speed Z, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. So I will ask the question here ....

Over the weekend I was chatting w/ B Miller and the subject of steering dampers came up. he was good enough to explain exactly what they do and what they don't do...actually broke it down "Barney Style" for me. He's got a Scotts which I have seen a lot of good press on, but since this is more of a "wish list" item for me and that I have pretty much "Murdered out" my bike...I would like one in Black. I have searched and came up with either Pit-Bull or GPR, but after checking with PB...they no longer make their products for Honda's.

Next I did a search on GPR's and read a lot of reviews...typical "Rah Rah" stuff....so does anyone here have experience w/ GPR ? They are in the same price point as Scott's...but they have the color I want.

Since I am by no means a "hard" rider or track guy...I think my tank slapping chances are fairly low...knock wood, so for me this purchase can and will be filed under "Bike Bling"....

Thoughts ?? Comparison's ?? Funny Limericks ??

2001 SP1 - Code Name F-Bomb - PCIII USB / D&D High Mount System / 42T / EK SRX 530X / CRG Levers / K&N Filters / Stomp Grip / Rev Limiter Mod / Flapper Mod / PAIR Mod / Undertail / Hugger / 6K HID Lights / Speigler lines / Wave Rotors / CF Airbox / Shorai Battery - More to come, as soon as my slush fund get's more "Slushy" !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 01:18 PM
kbb
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like you want this damper for the wrong reason really. If you're looking for another part to color-coordinate with your bike (which is your right by all means), the first-gen GPR should still be around in all black. They also make mounts for the RC51 I believe.

If you're rocking a big tire kit, slammed to the ground or over-weighing your bike with chrome bits (they black-chrome stuff too. Mega-heavy but looks great) then don't even bother with the purchase. If your bike is set-up decidedly with a track focus or you like 1/4 mile runs, or just do alot of street a good damper is a great investment.

Every bike I've had has had one and I will continuee to do so. Better than stock because the adjustability is there and not integrated into the bikes speed sensors, like stockers are.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
You might be surprised how effective a damper will be for your street riding. I rode my bike for the first couple months or so without my scotts mounted. About 800 miles or so. I felt much more confident with the damper, knowing it's doing it's job even when I don't know it is. I tried different positions and ended up with middle setting. I've had the very beginings of a tank slapper before, so I know what it feels like. The last one I felt started as a result of me passing another vehicle on a mild turn and the reflector dots tried to get the bikes head shaking a little. The scotts must have tamed it, I wonder how much worse it would have gotten without the damper. Cause that was a rookie mistake on my part, as I think I probably gave the right input to start that shake in the first place.
Scotts also can interchange between other street bikes and your dirtbike too, all you have to do is buy a new mounting bracket to fit your other bike for about $100, and swap the unit over.
Also Scotts doesn't need it's own custom fairing stay. That was big for me. It fits just perfectly with your own stock fairing stay bracket.
Screw the color, go gold buddy!

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks kbb ....nope, no chrome....just powder coated a lot of the silver bits. Back in the day it was always explained to me that SD's were for guys that really jumped on it and rode the heck out of their bikes which is not my style of riding as 90%+ of my riding is highway to and from work.. I have always liked the idea of steering dampners as I do know they help with stability and a bit of vibration, but never liked the cylindrical bar look across my triple

That is why I said for me...a dampner is on my "Wish List". I have prioritized my mods that way to help me better budget my monies..under $500 and over $500 ....

I also suspect that after having one, I will never go without. Hard to qualify a purchase for something I have never had or can't quantify the benefits of it.

Which one do you own ??

2001 SP1 - Code Name F-Bomb - PCIII USB / D&D High Mount System / 42T / EK SRX 530X / CRG Levers / K&N Filters / Stomp Grip / Rev Limiter Mod / Flapper Mod / PAIR Mod / Undertail / Hugger / 6K HID Lights / Speigler lines / Wave Rotors / CF Airbox / Shorai Battery - More to come, as soon as my slush fund get's more "Slushy" !
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Ha ha J Dog...I wish my OCD would allow it !

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighp View Post
Hey gang,
Tried searching here and on Speed Z, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. So I will ask the question here ....

Over the weekend I was chatting w/ B Miller and the subject of steering dampers came up. he was good enough to explain exactly what they do and what they don't do...actually broke it down "Barney Style" for me. He's got a Scotts which I have seen a lot of good press on, but since this is more of a "wish list" item for me and that I have pretty much "Murdered out" my bike...I would like one in Black. I have searched and came up with either Pit-Bull or GPR, but after checking with PB...they no longer make their products for Honda's.

Next I did a search on GPR's and read a lot of reviews...typical "Rah Rah" stuff....so does anyone here have experience w/ GPR ? They are in the same price point as Scott's...but they have the color I want.

Since I am by no means a "hard" rider or track guy...I think my tank slapping chances are fairly low...knock wood, so for me this purchase can and will be filed under "Bike Bling"....

Thoughts ?? Comparison's ?? Funny Limericks ??

There once was a man from nantucket... who's.....

Actually, this is the exact post I was thinking about making. I went for a little ride yesterday and when accelerating hard on a straight away, had a little bit of head shake. My CBR had the electronic steering damper and it's one of those things you don't realize you miss until you have a close call.

I'm not too fond of the gold colored Scott's and I had forgotten about GPR. It's going to have to go on my wish list too.

05 RC51

08 CBR 1000 (sold)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 02:23 PM
kbb
Lifetime Premium

Raliegh,

Scotts on my R1, Ohlins rod-type on my CBR1000rr. Going back to Scotts on the RC51. GPR is known to leak. Their customer service is supposed to be good. But Scotts/Ohlins is bullet-proof in every sense.

Like someone said before...one of the few parts that can be re-used on another bike with minimal fuss. And they are geniunely trick.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 02:27 PM

Well, after doing a little bit of research I see that the Scotts has a "high speed" valve which would override the base settings if a tank slapper started. It doesn't look like the GPR offers that. That's a pretty nice feature. It means you could have lighter (easier to turn) settings for slow speed manuvering. I might have to go gold after all.

05 RC51

08 CBR 1000 (sold)
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys...that is the type of info I need to know. Now I remember B Miller mentioning high speed vs. low speed valves this past Sunday...dude is like Mr. Spock on a RC51 ( The 2009 version as I suspect Subsailor is more the Leonard Nimoy version )...he has so much knowledge it was hard to keep up with the conversation ...well, I am sold...just understand in principle I hate agreeing w/ J dog...but I guess I will also be going gold at some point....

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
A little wag of the bars is hardly the beginnings of a tank slapper...

I'd say for most street riding the SP2 really doesn't need a steering damper at all but of course each to their own & all that.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode