tall and heavy guy with adjustable rearsets - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
big tall guy and adjustable rearsets

Hey people, I've already posted that I'm a pretty big guy when i was talking about my suspension. Well here i go again but this time it's in regards to Rearsets. I'm 6'4" and weigh 250lbs. I have stock rearsets on my bike right now but just ordered some fully adjustable ones. The thing is that when I ride with the stock rearsets, there's a lot of weight bearing down on my hands which get sore pretty quickly. Now, when i install these new rearsets, I've heard that you can reduce, somewhat, the amount of pressure and weight on them by adjusting the rearsets either up or down... I just don't recall where i read this and which way to go. I know its all up to feel but i dont want to spend four hours installing, uninstalling and adjusting, over and over. So forward or back, up or down? I dont lean into turns a whole lot so lowering them wont make a big difference in that regard. Thanks for your input. -Chef Luis Pernia

Last edited by yumyumchef; 04-03-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Check out these Honda Concept Images I found.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	concept honda.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	2590   Click image for larger version

Name:	NAS 02.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	2591  

Last edited by yumyumchef; 04-03-2012 at 05:36 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 08:05 PM

Talking And the answer is............

Hello again, I adjusted as far down as I could then forward. For mine that was 3/4 inch forward and 1 inch down. I never really had issue with my wrist BUT I felt relief in my ab muscle after this move.
I originally went down and back but this just causes you to lean further forward. I thought my leg would cramp but surprisingly they feel better after a long ride now. If you recall I'm 6'4".

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Try some of these.....

Get the Stomp Grips, these will help you more than you know!

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rear sets will only do a little to improve the weight on the wrists. The best way to improve it is by using riser bars to raise the position of the bars. But let's be realistic, the rc51 was not build to be a sport tourer. It's a race bike and while many ride theirs for long periods of time with relative comfort, that's not it's intended purpose. I myself used to do 350 plus miles canyon rides on mine when I bought it new in 2001. I rode it with stock bars and rear sets. I found the faster you go the more the wind holds you up taking the pressure off your wrists. Also, while riding the twisted, pressure is relieved by shifting your weight around constantly. So you have to ask your self what are your intentions with the bike, sport tourer, canyon carver, track bike? If its the later of the two, leave it as it is and ride it. If its a sport tourer, get your self some riser bars and adjustable rear sets for more leg room and go!

FYI - I am 6'6" 275lbs and had no issues riding mine.

Dave

"I live my life in a confused haze only to be interrupted by moments of brilliance..."
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Evad101 Bump!, Madbuyer bump!, and Meisch bUMP!, thanks for your input! I had never owned my own bike or even ridden a bike before i purchased my RC51 last December, so when I bought my bike, i never even test drove it. I didn't have any local friends to test drive it, so after i listened to the bike crank and watch the owner drive up and down the block a few times, I decided to purchase it. Anyways, after i grew enough balls to sit on the bike, two days later I decided to crank it up. Four days after that, I decided to pull the choke out and crank it out. Anyways, it took me two weeks before i grew enough balls to even try to start to feel the throttle and clutch bite.
After about a month and a half, I grew the balls to drive the bike out of the APT complex. After driving for a few minutes, My hands and wrists started to kill me, as I said above. I looked at a set of handle bar risers but i thought that they would look stupid. I read on a post on one of the rc51 forums saying that some of my weight would be alleviated by using a set of adjustable rearsets, so thats what I'm going with and thats why I'm going with what Meisch and Madbuyer said. Im eventually going to get some stompgrip and then lower my rearsets as far down and forward as possible.
Thanks for your input guys and gals! I love this Forum. You guys are super helpful. When i get more accustomed to riding and my bike, I'll add input as time goes on. Thanks Again. -Chef Luis Pernia
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 08:21 AM

Sturgis!!

With any bike you have to let your body adjust. As a tall guy I find sports bike more comfortable because I am leaning forward and only have to get use to wrists and abs muscles being uncomfortable, cruiser like my Vulcon and V65 Magna it was my ass, back, shoulders and legs on long rides.

I am driving from Michigan to Sturgis this August, I have purchased some Heli-bars for this trip. I drive down to Deals gap every June, but that's a 4 day trip down and back, 200-250 miles a day but lots of stops and rest. Sturgis will be a 2 day trip there so 500+ miles a day. I will let you know if they make a big difference or not.

http://www.rg500.com/miva/merchant.m...y_Code=HeliHon
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Most rear sets won't allow you to go any lower or further forward than stock. Funny part is that when you see pictures of them on people's bikes they are in the setting closest to stock.

I'm only 6 ft 200lbs, but I found that any setting on the pegs was just fine, from bone stock to anywhere on my sato's. For the track I prefer them as high and far back as they will go. On the street I will put them in right in the middle.

Higher bars won't help if you aren't supporting your upper body with your core muscles. That is where something grippy on the tank comes in. Stompgrip, or the like will allow you to squeeze and grip the tank with your knees and use your core and legs to hold you upright. This takes the pressure off your wrists.

Like stated above, it is a sportbike, and a super sport at that. Not a tourer. I've done commuting and it wasn't bad, could be better. Worse part is the heat and stop and go traffic. I've done 500 mile days. It wasn't horrible, but the next day I felt it. If you really want something for longer trips, get a VFR or Superhawk. Both are still very capable of carving canyons or taking to trackdays. Or go crazy and put a standard handlebar on it. After doing a bunch of trackdays last year, I've come to realize that while the RC51 is decent on the track and bearable on the street, it really doesn't excel at either one. On the track it feels heavy, underpowered and slow. On the street it is hot, has horrible late 90's fuel injection, and is uncomfortable. Ive decided to make mine more street oriented with handlebars, front mounts and a few other things. I'll be picking up a bike purely for the track later on, but the RC will still see some time out there.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Oh, and heli bars are a rip off. You can get clip ons that will put them at near the same place for much cheaper. There is a guy on speedzilla (and here I think) named 9hondas that made his own bars similar to the heli bars but much higher quality for less that $269. That is just a huge rip off.

You can also pick up stock bars off any recent cbr1000rr and they will give you enough rise to where you will hit the front fairing.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year

Last edited by b.miller123; 04-04-2012 at 10:57 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 12:58 PM

Yea, I have been waiting for him to make some more but doesn't look like he will anytime soon. If you can recommend us some clip-on that would be better thanks, as I have not found any that change the position from stock that much. Read a considerable amount on the forums over the last month about Heli's, first time I heard of any issues, I'll have to dig into this more.
I have had them on for so long I forgot about tank grips b.miller123, your are right was a big help.
I hinted at core muscles on my earlier post, just 10 minutes of core exercises a day (go ahead harass me for being a exercise nut) goes a long way on a sport bike

Not mentioned before but a good tank bag in the right position to lean on goes a long way to!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode