Whats the $.02 on your helmet and Helmet Q's - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Whats the $.02 on your helmet and Helmet Q's

Ive done search and found the one thread, but its when jondog was looking for graphic ideas for his.

Right now I running a ICON Domain 2. IMO, its a good helmet for a sport touring riders, the shell comes really low on the back of my neck, when I tuck it rubs on my back and very unstable over HWY speeds. Other then that, its held up over the past 18mos okay'ish, it has a lot of miles in the rain and even more in the dry and some even in the cold and rain, about 13,000miles. The vents are coming off, really noisy and the air flow is next to none now. Last year I was happy with it but just like that dream date...it didnt last.

Wifey has an Airframe and yes Ive rocked the pink helmet for a rip down the HWY and back. A lot better air flow, quieter, it hasnt seen no where near the same amount of use but its still holding up like new.

Now Im looking to get a new helmet this year, so far Ive had my eye on the new Bell Star Matte Carbon or ICON Airframe Carbon Lifeform.

So far Ive only had the chance to talk to someone who runs a Star. He is overly happy with it.

Im really not looking to make $500/$700 mistake. Does anyone ride with one of these? What ya think? Hows the thing holding up?

-or-

What you riding with? Your $.02 please

Thanks,
James

Last edited by James_03_rc; 04-13-2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: fixing links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 12:06 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
i have a few AGV's, Suomy's, KBC, and Arai. The Suomy spec 1r has been my favorite. Great fit. A lot of this is going to depend on your head shape. What may fit me the best and feel great may not be the same for you. Try a few on before you make a buy.

3 other companies you may want to look at are Shark, OGK, or Nolan. One of those will be my next.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The bell looks nice. I've never been a fan of Icon gear at all. Too cartoony for my tastes.

For the amount of money both those cost, I would go with a top shelf helmet like Arai or Shoei. I've had both, and will never ride with anything else except possibly scorpion. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of them for the price. What really matters is how well it fits your head.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 12:54 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love my Arai...will not wear any other helmet. Most comfy for extended periods.

http://www.compacc.com/Helmets

Best prices on helmets I've ever come across...free shipping and I got a top line Arai CorsairV $449.00 here in Canada $1000 no shit that's what they're asking.

post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Thanks guys, I understand that all helmet dont fit alike.
Both the ICONs fit me well that why I looked to get another one. But Im looking for more of a "top shelf" this time. Ive watched all the video reviews that Brian (STG) has put out for the premium helmets. The C/F Star is already above my range of up to $600, but i dont like the look of flat or gloss black ones. I can afford more but just not wanting to, more $$$ helmet= less $$$ for the bike.

I was also looking at the RSR2 and the X12 but once again not really feeling the color schemes.

And the part that really sucks, there is no one with in a hour drive that has top shelf helmet in stock.

One last thing, I started this for everyone with all level helmets to post there opinion of the helmets they have used. And for that info to be used as shopping guidance for all.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 02:31 AM

Had stack of HJC's found them to be Noisey and heavy. Last three have been Shoies LOVE them. Borrowed a few Icon's Hated every one of them noise,buffeting and at 130kph felt like was gonna be sucked off my head. Tried couple of Arai's now and kinda thinking I may add one to my helmet collection.

'01 RC51 w/ Chinese plastics, PC2, Flapper Mod, PAIR delete, Yosh highmount, -1/+3 Gearing, Hot Bodies Undertail, Proton Fronts, Zero Gravity DB, Speedo Healer and HyperPro Damper.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by TkerJker View Post
Icon's Hated every one of them noise,buffeting and at 130kph felt like was gonna be sucked off my head
130kph? That's what about 70mph. Mine do the same thing

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Motorcycle.com App
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 03:03 AM

Yeah around 70ish. I've felt it on several helmets but the Icon's were the worst. I screwed up my neck/back in a car accident years ago, so now I look for the lightest helmet possible with little to no buffeting.

'01 RC51 w/ Chinese plastics, PC2, Flapper Mod, PAIR delete, Yosh highmount, -1/+3 Gearing, Hot Bodies Undertail, Proton Fronts, Zero Gravity DB, Speedo Healer and HyperPro Damper.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 04:14 AM

i have an agv gp tech right now and it is awesome.. wind noise is minimal, its light and fits great. the padding is super comfy too. i have had an icon before and the agv is a different fit but 100 times more comfy both weight and padding. your best bet is to go to a store and try on a couple that fit your head then look up ride reviews
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 07:10 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
I like my Shoei RF series helmets. Arai is a great upgrade too. Look at the Nexx helmets, these are ultra light carbon and look great too. One of those will be my next helmet.

http://www.nexx-usa.com/Scripts/prod...?idCategory=34

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine

Last edited by madbuyer; 04-14-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode