Steering lock help please - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Steering lock help please

Need help with my steering lock. Nothing is in the way of the bars turning full left so I know it isn't that. Seems like the key doesn't push down the ignition. Anybody have a similar problem or know a fix? Usually don't lock it but it would be nice when I leave it in unfamiliar places for extended times. I can post a pic of the key later. Wondering if RCs had a key that was for the ignition and trunk lock but wouldn't lock it. Looks like there are 2 types of key in the parts manual. Any help you guys can give would be helpful. Thanks

Sent from my ADR6400L using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemeansaleen View Post
Need help with my steering lock. Nothing is in the way of the bars turning full left so I know it isn't that. Seems like the key doesn't push down the ignition. Anybody have a similar problem or know a fix? Usually don't lock it but it would be nice when I leave it in unfamiliar places for extended times. I can post a pic of the key later. Wondering if RCs had a key that was for the ignition and trunk lock but wouldn't lock it. Looks like there are 2 types of key in the parts manual. Any help you guys can give would be helpful. Thanks

No special keys here...try some WD or graphite down in the lock to lube it up.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
No special keys here...try some WD or graphite down in the lock to lube it up.
It seems like the key isn't pushing the lock down. Almost like the key is to long? Doesn't turn at all and can't see the pin move

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 11:12 PM
Hig
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm with madbuyer, sounds like it's locked up (pun not intended). If lubing it through the key hole doesn't work for ya the next thing may be to remove it from the triple and play with it to get it working.

Have you tried working the bars slightly when at full lock? Sometimes mine gets a little finicky. Also try and see if anything is under there obstructing the pin.

The key works just fine otherwise correct?

2001 #62. Ohlins rear/valves, Micron high mount, HyperPro damper, SharkSkinz, Tyga billet triple clamp, Tyga Carbon Fiber fender and hugger, Ti bolt/custom subframe/alien motion 8 cell diet, 15/41 520, COP conv. PCIII, Venhill lines, modified air box, turn signals in headlights...<deep breath> ZG Touring windscreen, Tech G rear sets, CRF450 rear master w/HRC cover, Tokico 6 pots w/V-pads, CRG Bar end mirrors, PSR Shorty levers-use only clutch, wanna-be basic racer paint, Roman Gold PC wheels
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 11:54 PM

You may also have debris at the base of the lock tumbler. Maybe using a can of air down deep into the device may free up crud and free up the lock plunger. First order of business when I got my RC was to add graphite to the keyway.
Be aware, if you use this lock and someone tries to force the headstock via the clip ons from side to side it's likely a total for insurance purposes. Requires a new frame potentially. Of course, this is if you get it back.
Combating theft experts suggest the use of a real good big diameter hardened steel, along with the ability to withstand temperature attacks (liquid nitrogen) too, disc lock and best of all to connect with another bike or post etc using $100 locks and $100 chains/cables. Never allow the lock or chain enough slack to reach to the ground!!! The thief then has his anvil. Otherwise the "two wise guys" just lifts a fork locked bike into the van and it's gone.
San Diego thieves who take jumpered (in less than 2 minutes, via ignition connectors found in the targeted GXSR/R6's, sport bike's side fairings that overrides yours) bikes across the border, all know how to check the three locations that a
Lo-jack tracking device is placed. Besides, they cut a deal with the Tijuana police, which means they never come looking for them anyway.
I have a old Cobralinks 1" diameter stainless steel link 6 foot long chainlock. Don't carry it with me. Use it to lock the bike on my trailer.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hig View Post
I'm with madbuyer, sounds like it's locked up (pun not intended). If lubing it through the key hole doesn't work for ya the next thing may be to remove it from the triple and play with it to get it working.

Have you tried working the bars slightly when at full lock? Sometimes mine gets a little finicky. Also try and see if anything is under there obstructing the pin.

The key works just fine otherwise correct?
I tried lubing it yesterday and wiggled the bars trying to get it. No such luck. Key works fine for ignition and trunk just not turning left for the steering lock. I remember from my last RC it is supposed to push down slightly before it locks and that seems to be what isn't happening on this one. Might be the next step to pull out from the triple and fiddle. I'll try some compressed air first and see how that goes

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 02:20 PM

If it is an aftermarket key and was made off of a key with out the key code is probably the reason for it not locking. If you go to you local honda dealer buy a key $10 and give them your key code. The key code can be found inside your gas cap on the flat part of you gas cap. The last 3 digits or letter looking at it upside down. Usually they will charge you $5 to cut the key. Hope that works. If not then the cylinder pin could be broken.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Ahhhh victory! Dealer couldn't cut a new key off the code but I ordered up 2 blanks (for $5.50 ea why not?) and got a local locksmith to handle it. Seems like the key was worn just enough in the wrong spot to keep it from locking the fork. So $20 for a fix that didn't require tearing the bike apart or forking over tons of $$$...I'm happy. Thanks for all the help guys.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 01:04 PM

I figure that it was something like that. You are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode