The bike went up 5000 feet, what do I need to do? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The bike went up 5000 feet, what do I need to do?

My bike from Arkansas arrived today (I am in Colorado).

The guy rolled it off the truck, I hit the choke and key and she fired right up (has not run in approx 30 days when it was with shipper), so I thought yay!

I bled the brakes and clutch as I have had vehicles do weird things when there is any moisture or air at all in there and it goes up a mile in elevation. After that, no squishy levers

The FI light stayed on solid. This was not the case the day it went on the truck (seller sent me a video as the truck was there).

I am reading that it appears I may have a code 10 (baro sensor or connections), are these known for just coming loose? or is there a chance the shipper could have pulled it locking the bike in?

The bike runs fine and has plenty of power, doesnt cut out or die, and starts every time. It's just the FI light comes on as it primes, then goes off. If I dont start the bike, it will flash a single long flash over and over. If I start the bike it will come on solid once the bike goes into gear and I hit the throttle. I rode it 20 miles today without a hiccup, but I would really love to know what happened between Arkansas and Colorado.

Am I on the right track?
02 SP2
Full Akra titanium (obvious pair remove)
snorkel mod
Power Commander 3usb

EDIT: I rode this ~11 miles to and 11 miles from work today, it starts fine, it idles fine, and has no bog or hesitation, nor does it jsut die like others. It runs very well, it's just the light staying on that bugs the hell out of me.

Do I need to re-tune a Power Commander to accomidate for elevation, or should it adapt and I have another demon?

Last edited by noifcustoms; 04-24-2012 at 08:03 PM. Reason: more detail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noifcustoms View Post
My bike from Arkansas arrived today (I am in Colorado).

The guy rolled it off the truck, I hit the choke and key and she fired right up (has not run in approx 30 days when it was with shipper), so I thought yay!

I bled the brakes and clutch as I have had vehicles do weird things when there is any moisture or air at all in there and it goes up a mile in elevation. After that, no squishy levers

The FI light stayed on solid. This was not the case the day it went on the truck (seller sent me a video as the truck was there).

I am reading that it appears I may have a code 10 (baro sensor or connections), are these known for just coming loose? or is there a chance the shipper could have pulled it locking the bike in?

The bike runs fine and has plenty of power, doesnt cut out or die, and starts every time. It's just the FI light comes on as it primes, then goes off. If I dont start the bike, it will flash a single long flash over and over. If I start the bike it will come on solid once the bike goes into gear and I hit the throttle. I rode it 20 miles today without a hiccup, but I would really love to know what happened between Arkansas and Colorado.

Am I on the right track?
02 SP2
Full Akra titanium (obvious pair remove)
snorkel mod
Power Commander 3usb

EDIT: I rode this ~11 miles to and 11 miles from work today, it starts fine, it idles fine, and has no bog or hesitation, nor does it jsut die like others. It runs very well, it's just the light staying on that bugs the hell out of me.

Do I need to re-tune a Power Commander to accomidate for elevation, or should it adapt and I have another demon?
Dude.....you are in Colorado? Why have you not sent me a PM yet? I'm down in the springs. Honestly the elevation change shouldn't really have an effect on it since the bike is injected. I would still have the powercommander re tuned. There was recently another guy with the same issue involving the FI light. I don't think he ever found a solution. Mine did something similiar (3 years ago when i still had my bike together and running), took it to the dealer and they said it was not affecting anything and could not figure out why it was blinking. I may ride up to Denver tomorrow, if you would like to meet me up there. you are more then welcome to take a ride down here with the bike and maybe we can figure it out. i have a few ideas of what it could be.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts455 View Post
Dude.....you are in Colorado? Why have you not sent me a PM yet? I'm down in the springs. Honestly the elevation change shouldn't really have an effect on it since the bike is injected. I would still have the powercommander re tuned. There was recently another guy with the same issue involving the FI light. I don't think he ever found a solution. Mine did something similiar (3 years ago when i still had my bike together and running), took it to the dealer and they said it was not affecting anything and could not figure out why it was blinking. I may ride up to Denver tomorrow, if you would like to meet me up there. you are more then welcome to take a ride down here with the bike and maybe we can figure it out. i have a few ideas of what it could be.
I would if I didnt have plans to get this cleaned up today. Gotta make that black chain gold again!

I saw the lower cross member for the upper cowl broken right in the area of the baro wiring. I am going to pull the plastics today and check some connections and wiring. I saw in teh manual that the bike will still run fine with it flashing (and it does), just annoying. I pulled the power commander tune and it is running the base Akra 2:2 full with flapper mod (PC map ending in 10), with the exception of 0% throttle in the mid RPM range, I am richer by 4 or so, but again only in teh 0% range. Thinking that was done to control decelleration backfire?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Update: disconnected battery, removed tail and upper front cowl and disconnected and reconnected every connection I could find. Nothing looked corroded. Verified Baro sensor worirng was in tact and nothing appeared to be rubbing anywhere. Cleared codes when I put it back together and it fired up with the same baro code (constant 10 flash until started), then FI light is on solid, died twice on me, but fired back up right away.

Should I try a zero map on there and take away the richness from the PCIII? I am still up in the air as to what happened during transport to cause this other than the baro physically taking a crap while sitting still....
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Wear a parachute....5000ft is a long drop.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

did the tests per the service manual (yes I am a n00b with a manual look out!). I have voltage as required per the manual, so by that regard I can deduct a bad baro sensor. Going to order one tomorrow and hopefully know more in a week or so. At least it's defaulting to running rich, so I shouldn't risk burning it up
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Either your baro sensor is faulty (out of calibration) and sends out a reading that is beyond the range the ECU can interpret or the ECU can not calculate beyond a certain low pressure.
If you were to try something with maps I'd go a step or two leaner but that shouldn't affect an ECU fault code. I would also think that if all Honda ECUs were out of range at 5000ft this would be a known problem.
Questions: Where was the bike before? How did it get there? AirFreight? Was the battery disconnected during transport?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGara View Post
Either your baro sensor is faulty (out of calibration) and sends out a reading that is beyond the range the ECU can interpret or the ECU can not calculate beyond a certain low pressure.
If you were to try something with maps I'd go a step or two leaner but that shouldn't affect an ECU fault code. I would also think that if all Honda ECUs were out of range at 5000ft this would be a known problem.
Questions: Where was the bike before? How did it get there? AirFreight? Was the battery disconnected during transport?
I ordered the baro yesterday. I have voltage at the sensor, so per the manual bad sensor.

I was looking at the maps and I think there are a couple good candidates that are generally leaner across the board. Just out of curiosity, what are the main differences with the UK maps? fuel? elevation? who knows. One of the maps was a UK Akra tune.

As for shipping, it came from Arkansas by way of a cycle hauler (Haul Bikes. Never use them, never never never). They roll it on to a modified NASCAR trailer with tie down runs everywhere. Mine had 7 or 8 locking it in when he opened the back. No disconnecting anything. Roll on Drive off is their motto.

It went on the truck and was transported to a "central hub" in Milwaukee, where it sits in their warehouse waiting for a driver headed your way. ~2 weeks later it was here via the same style trailer.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

got the sensor replaced, cleared the codes and no FI light.

Just wanted to updated and close out this thread. Thanksfor all of the help on this one
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
So that was it, huh? Glad it's sorted out now.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode