After Market Fairings? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After Market Fairings?

Im looking to buy some flat black after market fairings for my 02 Rc.

The thing is I dont know of a popular site, or where they sell good quality fairings.

Advices and suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 04:30 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Im pretty sure they will all basically be from 1 factory in china,with all the resellers saying theirs are different etc but only 1 company will have the expensive molds to make and inject them

plastic quality is like bottle caps/carbaord compared to OEM pp material or what ever,and the chinese paint jobs look good but are always too easy to scratch(not quality 2 pack paint)

stay with OEM if you can(which will be made in china now as well probably,but by Honda in one of their huge factories they are building for bike and probably HRC etc)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 07:45 PM

I have done alot of buisness with these guys and I can say their stuff is top notch.... Fiberglass yes and it will take a little prep work before paint but they do make a solid fairing.....

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/...00rc510004.htm

Last edited by 2strokersmoker; 04-30-2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Dumb!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 09:52 AM

i went with Motomarts. Price was right, paint is real nice. Shipping sucks. took me 5 weeks to get my stuff and then they forgot some items.. waited another month, got some items, missing others. Still waiting to get the rest of the auction. I ordered the stuff 20 Feb and still waiting to get the heat shield. Yeah... shipping department.. Not so good. they tend to miss things. Of three auctions i won, 2 of them were missing parts. Each time i had to wait a month to get my stuff. Still trying to find time to install the plastics. will post up in the next couple weeks with pics. should have them on by then..
this is the set i bought; http://www.ebay.com/itm/220938340539...S:1123&vxp=mtr

Current steeds: 2000 RC51 SP1, 2002 KTM 520EXC, 2001 YZ250f
Road bikes I used to own: '03 Bandit 1200s, '02 ZZR1200, '00 Guzzi V11 Sport, '97 H-D 1200c sportster (don't judge me).

"If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything".
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Can we get an FAQ section for this?

They are crap, move along and buy used OEM. Don't waste your time and money. Remember that everyone's idea of a "good deal", or "they fit well enough," is different. Some people don't mind cracks, melting plastic, missaligned holes and missing headlight mounts.

That is where the few and far between reviews come from. People that either don't know any better, or don't care, or they are too damn stubborn to admit they flushed $500 down the toilet in an attempt to save a few bucks.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year

Last edited by b.miller123; 05-12-2012 at 10:14 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi ram, I gotta agree w/ B Miller on this one. With that said, are these for track day ? if so, then I'd go the EBay route. If not, go OEM or wait for a set to come up for sale and have them re-painted at your local paint shop !

2001 SP1 - Code Name F-Bomb - PCIII USB / D&D High Mount System / 42T / EK SRX 530X / CRG Levers / K&N Filters / Stomp Grip / Rev Limiter Mod / Flapper Mod / PAIR Mod / Undertail / Hugger / 6K HID Lights / Speigler lines / Wave Rotors / CF Airbox / Shorai Battery - More to come, as soon as my slush fund get's more "Slushy" !
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Go big or go home man. There's a time and place for 'generics', but this ain't one in my estimation. Quality rules.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
Go big or go home man. There's a time and place for 'generics', but this ain't one in my estimation. Quality rules.
I disagree, I say pick and choose what you buy name brand and what you buy generic. Like I would not be stingy with tires because they are your livelihood. But if a fairing doesn't fit perfectly but still gets the job done then go generic all the way, it's a piece of plastic that is not necessary for function or safety.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Mad Dog I'd say I agree if you are doing track stuff and as long as they fit well enough not to disrupt airflow and drag. For my personal tastes on a street only bike, I'm just fussy...I want that sucker purdy and as close to flawless as possible.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
Can we get an FAQ section for this?

They are crap, move along and buy used OEM. Don't waste your time and money. Remember that everyone's idea of a "good deal", or "they fit well enough," is different. Some people don't mind cracks, melting plastic, missaligned holes and missing headlight mounts.

That is where the few and far between reviews come from. People that either don't know any better, or don't care, or they are too damn stubborn to admit they flushed $500 down the toilet in an attempt to save a few bucks.
I'd agree with b.miller123. Most people don't have all that much experience to be able to tell the finite differences in quality. Some don't care but often people don't want to admit they made a mistake and bought rubbish - even though it stares them in the face each time they get on their bike...
Either get your original fairings repaired and repainted, or buy new OEM.
Proper quality is expensive because the tooling to properly mould and expertise to make sure a quality product is made - is never cheap.
You get what you pay for...

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode