how to section - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how to section

I was just curious why more people don't do how to write up in this forum? I can't speak for others, but part of owning vehicles and motorcycles of every sort is modifying them. I own an 08 toyota tacoma xrunner and I belong to xrunner forum and the best part of that forum is the how to section because no matter how small the mod or installation. Someone will do a write up so in case others like the idea and want to do the same they have a good step by step tutorial. Non the less, I was just wondering because as most know from the time I got my 02 rc51 I have had to do some pretty serious surgery on the ole girl and while doing this I have taken alot of pics and ill do some how to's in future if anybody is interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
What kind of how-to write-ups would you suggest are needed?
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
What kind of how-to write-ups would you suggest are needed?
Im not sure. Im pretty mechanically inclined and im not afraid to experiment, but im sure there are some people floating around this site that don't know how to do some stuff on these bike. Yet they want to try and to have a write up just to reference and make sure they're not destroying something beyond the experience level is always a nice thing. I know there's people here who would like to paint their rims or polish their frame or certain wiring mods for maybe integrated tails or different engine mods or air box mods. Maybe someone wants to paint their rc51 but doesn't know where to begin. Im sure some people would like to change their own chain and sprockets but they just don't think they are capable. Im sure most people here know alot about these and other bikes, but there will always be people who don't but want to try their luck.

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 03:22 PM

Purely as an example based on your criteria above, without an expensive chain breaking & riveting tool they are not really capable of doing their own chain & sprockets. Even with those tools there is still a learning curve that comes with the tactile feel of being a mechanic that cannot really be conveyed in how to properly install the rivet without over-peening it no matter how illicit your instructions are.

Painting a bike is something I would never dream of telling a newbie how to do. multi-stage paints required to do a professional job are much like installing a chain, best left to the professionals.

An OEM service manual would make quick work of most small tasks that a competent backyard mechanic would be able & willing to do.

As far as cosmetics mods go I am sure that with a quick search you will find a dozen or more forums with how-to mods for stripping & polishing your wheels and if you really want to do some epic customization mods look up Sherv for some ideas
http://blog.motorcycle.com/2010/05/2...-in-the-frame/
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

So your ultimately telling me that because someone is not a professional that they can't learn how to do something as easy as linking a chain. Im sure your aware that every professional started somewhere, they were not just born professionals. I have been working on motorcycles and cars and trucks all my life, but I don't do it as a profession. So because I don't work at a shop does that mean im not professional and can't do my own work? You don't learn unless you try and im just saying for the people who have done all their own work should take pics of the progress and show everybody how they did whatever it is they did, so if someone else wants to try they know you don't have to be a professional to accomplish something.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

I can't remember where I saw it if it was here or on speedzilla, but I saw where someone changed our plug and coils setup for a set of 600rr coil on plug setup. They did an awesome write up and for the average joe that wants to do the same, that how to helped them conquer that project and they can feel more comfortable doing it because they have something to reference.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 03:55 PM

No, I am saying if you have to ask how to do the things that you have specifically pointed out thus far then you are probably better off letting the professionals do the work.

You could write a step-by-step article on how to change brake pads on your bike, but that doesn't mean that someone new to the concept of such work won't forget to tighten the retaining pin and then their brake pads fall out while they are diving into a turn. How much liability do you really want to accept for someone else's ineptness at something you are totally comfortable doing? What if you accidentally leave out a small step of the procedure and it results in an accident? Your mistake is saved on the web for a long long time to be used against you if someone was malicious or litigious enough to do so.

I wrote & compiled lots of mods for the RC51 years ago. PAIR mod, how to install a Dussault hugger, Soft-rev mod, Flapper Mod etc and even back a decade ago when things were a lot different on the internet I still wouldn't do a mod article that could end up end up causing injury or harm to others as I didn't want the liability of it. Some things are just best left for others to learn about themselves. If you want to document your work and you have that kind of time available to you then by all means go for it. Just be aware that in this day & age regardless of your good intentions, you may not end up with just kudos for your efforts.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51bullet View Post
I can't remember where I saw it if it was here or on speedzilla, but I saw where someone changed our plug and coils setup for a set of 600rr coil on plug setup. They did an awesome write up and for the average joe that wants to do the same, that how to helped them conquer that project and they can feel more comfortable doing it because they have something to reference.
Yea funny enough I have had 2 guys call in for advice about problems with their RC51 power delivery in the last few weeks and BOTH of them had done this 600RR coil conversion. Is it a coincidence? Maybe, but just because you can do a mod doesn't mean it needs to be done...
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I also have benefited from How-To Sections of various forums. I've had my share of manuals that are utterly useless to me. Many of the terms they use are unfamiliar to someone who doesn't do it for a living, as well as certain steps in a repair are left out because it's "assumed" that you already know how to do it. I can't tell you how much pictures and basic tips can help a project, big or small. How about post one on how to replace an undertail, change the oil, replace clip-ons or even grips, replace signals, install frame sliders...etc? I guarantee based on some of the threads started here that some of those would be greatly appreciated and help out those who may have a wealth of experience. Never assume that although something you have done something on your bike, and is routine, it won't be appreciated by someone else. It would be nice if both the beginner to RC51's, whether it be riding or wrenching, can feel as welcome here as the seasoned veteran. Why not post a thread on painting a bike? Do you think that pople were just born with that talent? They also had a trial and error period. What's to say that they may want to save a little money and it's going to be a track bike anyway? There's also decals that go over the paint...those aren't as easy to apply as they may look. I saw a thread with an undertail that was made by b.miller123 that would be a great "How-To" thread....thing looks great!
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
Yea funny enough I have had 2 guys call in for advice about problems with their RC51 power delivery in the last few weeks and BOTH of them had done this 600RR coil conversion. Is it a coincidence? Maybe, but just because you can do a mod doesn't mean it needs to be done...
I agree with your last statement, but when it comes to doing write ups and how to I understand that some people that don't know everything may forget something which is why I think when doing a write a disclaimer should be added to the write up stating you do at your own risk.

I do have to say from listening to you talk thou that you are a dealership employee or a shop employee and don't want anybody to do their own modding because it could take away from your profit.

I also agree that not every mod is a positive mod, but honestly what's the use to have a how to section if nobody is going to do how to's?

Last edited by RC51bullet; 05-02-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode