it all started with an oil change - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
it all started with an oil change

a simple oil change? i've only gotten to ride my bike for about a week since i've owned it because of the weather. the previous owner told me he had about 600 miles on the oil in the bike, he also told me he put in new spark plugs, air filters,fork seals and did the flapper and pair mods.
after riding it for a week i noticed the fork seals starting to leak, that made me check the spark plugs and air filters, they were old and havent been changed in a while. i called the local honda shop and ordered spark plugs, air/oil filters and fork seals/bushings. while i was waiting i researched the pair and flapper mods, the flapper was done but the pair wasnt, thats when i saw dnsducks selling pair plates, i ordered a set. after a couple days everything came in and i did the oil change, plugs and air filters.
while the bike was apart, i decided to order new tires (pilot power 2cts). i completed the pair mod (pair plates look great - thanks dnsducks) and installed the new tires, while i had the front wheel off i decided to change the fork seals, after taking the forks off i noticed the steering head bearings were bad, i ordered new "all balls" bearings off ebay (the sent the wrong bearings and it took a week to get the right ones). i installed the fork seals last week and did the steering head bearings last night. tonight i installed the forks and tomorrow night i hope to get the front end finished,there has been alot of little things that have needed attention like the wire harness needs to be cleaned up and rerouted. i also ordered a hugger and new windscreen, i noticed the brakes will need to be replaced soon. the bike has been apart for almost a month now, luckily for me the weather has been horrible. this is why sometimes it's a pain buying used bikes, at least i will know whats been done and when it's been done - heres a couple pics from last night
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5090466.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	2785   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5090467.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	2786   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4130330.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	2787  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:46 AM

Sorry to hear of your bad luck with your bike. I to have had some interesting things with a recent (used) purchase fI wire broke inside the wiring harness,from the previous owner putting in and taking out the power commander repeatedly. we also have had some crappy weather as well but got to ride a couple of times anyway. good luck.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

thanks rambleon, it's better to go thru the bike anyway, you can never be sure whats been done to it, i have no problem working on it, i've had problems ordering parts. the hugger and windscreen just came in and they're both wrong - hugger is for an 00-01 and the screen was supposed to be a double bubble - oh well, the fi wire breaking must of been hard to track down - glad you found it. hopefully the weather will get better soon....

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 04:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull183 View Post
it all started with an oil change

Heh, it always works out that way, doesn't it?

Quote:
...at least i will know whats been done and when it's been done...

Couldn't have said it better! Sounds like you are making good progress on the bike...

'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC51
-Competition Werkes FE w/
Clear Alternatives IT

'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR (sold '15)
'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold '11)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
It often happens that way with used bikes.
Happened with mine.
However mine has rewarded my attention with utter reliability.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
You are now in better shape and I am sure your level of trust in the bike has gone up.

Win-Win....now go ride

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
How many miles were on the bike when you bought it?

It does sound like a lot of stuff, but it is a used bike and without getting receipts for everything done, it shouldn't have been involved in evaluating the value of the bike. These days it is hard to find a bike around $5k that doesn't need work or has been well taken care of. Simple things like "is the chain clean, lubed, or old" can tell you about how well a bike is taken care of. The mark on the swingarm from the exhaust is a sign of a owner that doesn't pay attention to the small things. (I assume that you werent the one who did that.) When I look at a used bike, I pretty much ignore everything the seller says and physically inspect the bike myself. I also assume that 90% of the little things haven't been kept up on. Aside from the steering head bearings, all of that stuff should be done every winter anyways.

It seems like you and I also have the same luck when it comes to ordering parts. And please don't hack up that mint rear fender. Someone will probably pay you good money for it and give you an already-been-hacked fender.

If it makes you feel any better, mine has been in pieces for months and will probably remain that way for a while. Then there is subsailor and gts455, their bikes have been in pieces for years.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Any job worth doing I say. In the business we have a saying "buyers are liars" (sales talk) but it goes that sellers ain't all true blue either.
My grampa use to say "Sonny boy, I trust in two people...me and thee; and I often worry about thee!"
Words to live by. I take half of what my trade in customers say and toss it. Then I believe half of what remains. Turns out pretty close as a rule

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys, i'm not upset about all the work i had to do, i'm just giving an update on my purchase, i've bought alot of used bikes over the years, i usually tear them down and go thru them so i know it's safe to ride. i just love it when the seller tells you everything has been replaced.
update - last night i finished the front end, now i just have to put the side/rear fairings on, also waiting for new exhaust brackets
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
thanks rambleon, it's better to go thru the bike anyway, you can never be sure whats been done to it, i have no problem working on it, i've had problems ordering parts. the hugger and windscreen just came in and they're both wrong - hugger is for an 00-01 and the screen was supposed to be a double bubble - oh well, the fi wire breaking must of been hard to track down - glad you found it. hopefully the weather will get better soon....
I'am looking for a hugger for my 2001 are you wanting to sell it or are you just going to return it? if so can you send me some pics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode