BOOM....Stoner to retire after the 2012 season. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Old & Slow Admin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BOOM....Stoner to retire after the 2012 season.

Oh well....

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2012/f...ess+conference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Rossi to Honda and he will dominate.

2000 RC51 SP1
2007 Yamaha YZ450f
2002 Yamaha YZ125 (sold)
2007 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2004 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (sold)
1996 Honda RVF NC35 (sold)
1983 Kawasaki KX60 (wrecked)
1982 BSA Scrambler (wrecked)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
The plot thickens...

'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC51
-Competition Werkes FE w/
Clear Alternatives IT

'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR (sold '15)
'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold '11)

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 03:00 PM

personally I'd like to see crutchlow grab a spot on Honda. Every time I see him interviewed, he's a really positive collective dude. Not to mention he can ride with the likes of the other top dogs. He seems to fit the Honda persona IMO.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwpSP1 View Post
Rossi to Honda and he will dominate.
Not gonna happen. Mat Oxley wrote a snippet in Roadracing World a month or two ago about it. He had a brief interview with the factory team manager who said they'd never have him back.

2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000 (the mod whore)
2003 RC51 (sold)
2002 ZX-7R (sold)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 07:31 PM

Rossi couldn't even dominate at Yamaha.
Even after he erected a "Chinese Wall" with Lorenzo, he got waxed.
He then had to move on.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Old & Slow Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crarrs View Post
Not gonna happen. Mat Oxley wrote a snippet in Roadracing World a month or two ago about it. He had a brief interview with the factory team manager who said they'd never have him back.
Found this on the WERA bbs:

Valentino Rossi is right when he says that the withdrawal of Stoner " changes all the cards on the table . " Honda loses its lead driver, world champion, one able to climb on the podium 19 times out of 20 races on the MotoGP Tokyo. " It was a surprise for us - admits Shuei Nakamoto , vice president of HRC - we tried to get him in every way to think about it, but it was useless. We respect his choice . " The first signs of impatience with the world Casey had already shown them at the end of last season: " I have discussed at length - he explains - c i said he wanted to spend more time with his family in Australia . He made ​​clear he wanted to do as few tests as possible, in addition to the winter. We satisfied, we have also eliminated most of the promotional events that required his presence . "
It was not enough, the number 1 said just now, and begin preparations for the succession. " We will begin to talk seriously with Pedrosa in 2013, we had not yet done , "says Nakamoto. But a door may open for Valentino Rossi , the closed long ago. " At this point anything is possible, we have to think about it "are the words of Vice President of HRC that assesses the ability to have two more top drivers" but I will talk directly with Honda Motor, the sponsors even before she is the main contact ". Nor does it preclude the possibility of putting under contract Marquez, " but you should ask Ezpeleta " answers referring to the rule that prevents rookies in MotoGP to be an official team.
To you support the decision made ​​by Stoner Livio Suppo , Director of Marketing and Communications and the HRC's side of the Ducati since the late Casey. " Today has taught us something special, that is not there just for the money - he says - as he always did his head and deserves respect. I have not seen many athletes able to retire undefeated, I just remember Pirmin Zurbriggen and Troy Bayliss before him . " Full support from his team who also followed him throughout the adventure in MotoGP. " Casey is a man - said his crew chief Bruno Leoni - we had already anticipated his decision. What will happen to us do not know, but one thing is for sure: from now on Stoner will try to win every race . "

Read more: http://www.gpone.com/index.php/20120...#ixzz1v9j4CrLc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51 Red Rider View Post
Rossi couldn't even dominate at Yamaha.
Even after he erected a "Chinese Wall" with Lorenzo, he got waxed.
He then had to move on.
He won 4 championships with Yamaha.......yeah, he got waxed.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I respect Stoner's decision. He's a family man now and racing is putting his life / health on the line every time. When racing at this level it's always 110%, so a rider can't be held back by concern for his family - doing so costs time where split seconds always count for so much. He's young, has done well financially and achieved his dreams of being a world champion, now there are more things to do in life and having a family is one of the most rewarding. Good on him.

As for Honda, although it's sad to lose their top rider there's some exciting possibilities to consider ahead.
I wonder if Rossi would move to Honda, what with Ducati being sold to Audi and his frustrations of riding a bike that's still not capable of keeping up with the faster works teams of Honda & Yamaha. Surely the main shareholders and owners of Ducati knew an ownership change was in the pipeline, so perhaps they were holding back on expensive developments of the bike.
Rossi is surely patriotic though and he'd love to see the Ducati GP12 develop into a championship winning bike through his guidance. On the other hand, he wants to be the rider who has the most GP wins in his belt - ever...
I still lament Simoncelli's accident. He and Rossi would have made formidable team mates.
Anyways, whatever happens Moto GP will remain exciting, hopefully more so. Would like to see Stoner win this year. Lorenzo is fast & consistent, but Stoner & Honda combined are the best combination out there this year, IMHO.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 08:52 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
The only thing I questionis Stoner's release of the information this early. Leaves far too much open for the "ah, he's retiring anyway...guess he just doesn't have it in him anymore" in case he slides in the standings. Some things are better left unspoken until absolutely necessary. Would I welcome Rossi back to HRC? Is a pig's arse pork?!

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 09:26 AM

Hayden?????

What about Hayden?? No one has considered him coming back to HRC. He has shown more prowess than Rossi except for the last race. His style fits the Honda better than anyone besides Stoner. I would love to see Hayden back on the Honda. My 2 cents Hoovy

Satos, CF Sir box & snorkel,Mr front and rear fender & dash cover, custom carbon V cowl, Black ASV levers, Power com III, Hot Bodies tail, Galfer lines, Vortex Clip ons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode