Am I crazy for considering a trade for a CBR600RR? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Am I crazy for considering a trade for a CBR600RR?

Well, I've done two track days on the RC51 and I've come to grips that it's a difficult bike to learn on. Following the advice of the coaches and control riders I decided to try and get on a CBR600RR instead. The problem that I'm running into it seems is that very few people seem to understand the RC51's value. I'd love to hold onto the RC51 for later when my skill level is at a point where I can utilize what the RC51 has to offer, but it's a bit beyond budget. That and I wouldn't mind binning an older CBR600RR on the track whereas I'd probably cry for a week if I did it on my RC51.

I've got a guy who might be offering me a 2003 CBR600RR that's pretty much stock for my RC51. The trade-off point is that my RC51 has about 26k miles on her while the CBR600RR has about 10k. The CBR600RR would be stripped and immediately be turned into a track bike. I wouldn't mind doing an even trade but all of my co-workers and friends are calling me crazy considering the work I've put into the RC51 (which I don't even really consider to be that much work).

I know it's like blasphemy for me to be posting this consideration on here, but I'd like some honest feedback... is the '03 CBR600RR really worth that much less if I'm just looking to get on a 600rr track bike?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 11:16 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
if you are riding track, the CBR makes more sense. RC51's are not rare. you can always pick one up again in the future.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 11:54 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
600rr are good track fodder.....save the RC and give her a good home.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
How is the bodywork on the cbr? If it is mint and the bike doesn't need anything immediately, it will probably be a good trade. What all do you have into your RC? If it is much, I would considering asking him to throw cash on top or allow you to pull some parts off. There are too many factors to guess at, but you are in the ballpark price-wise and the other bike has less miles and will probably be more fun on the track. I personally would go for a later model if you can. IIRC '03 was pretty early for the 600RR's, if not the first year?

And no, you are not crazy. If someone had offered me a well setup 600 for my bike (while it was whole), I would have probably considered it. As nice as the RC is, it really doesn't excel at any one given thing. That's why mine will be seeing more street miles while I save up for a dedicated track bike.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 02:30 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
The 600 is more suitable for track days than the RC. That is a fact.
Here in Greece, the '03 600s are selling at such price that you can buy two for the price of the RC, no matter the miles on their dash.
That's been said, I don't think is a fair trade to give the RC for a 03 CBR 600RR. You can have a '05 CBR with the inverted forks plus some cash on the RC's price. And the 26k miles on the RC is just its braking in. Their engine is so reliable that a RC with 40k miles equals to a 600 with 70k. So better keep the RC with all the work you've done on her and save up and get a real cheap 600 (maybe even a droped one) and turn it into a track bike. After you've learned some things on the track, you can easily sell it and continue with the RC....just my 0.2 cents

My ÷hlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!

Last edited by MakisRC51; 05-26-2012 at 02:44 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 06:43 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I rode a friend's 2005 CBR600 a few weeks ago. Small lithe bike, easy to ride but not really as nice as the RC. No way I'd ever consider a swap for road or track riding, but I appreciate this is a different sort of circumstance.

Just buy a cheap but decent track bike and keep the RC51 at home.

Maybe they're available, but finding a really nice one may or may not be easy to do again if you ever decide you'd like another.
I think perhaps RC51's have also reached their rock bottom pricing in the States, good ones at least...
They're about half price in the States compared to what a good one costs in Japan... There are even RVT's being imported here by some of the larger dealers..!

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 04:43 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
This has to be a gut wrencher of a decision for you. I'm not a track guy, but I'd be very hard pressed to give up my RC, it's just that special to me. The 600 is a fabulous track bike, just as all the 600s are; that's why you see so many of them doing it. For daily riding though, I much prefer the 1000rr over the 600. The litre bike just suits me better and the engine is so tractable around town it's a joy to ride, more so than my RC until I get outside the town limits. However, the salacious looks I get every time I ride the RC are worth their weight in gold for me. Even the folk that know me and my bike well still look longingly my direction. So yeah, if you can find any way at all to do it, save your coin and try to find a well priced 600 and keep that RC if you can. It's my heart's opinion talking, but that's why I own one, it's an affair of the heart.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
How about looking for a salvage title bike for the track? That's what I would do if I was interested in getting into track days. Save you some serious coin, maybe you can keep the RC51, and like you said, if you bin a salvage title bike at the track...

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 05:43 PM

I do some track days myself, and everyone always tells me to get a 600(I won't do it). That being said you have only done a few right? Remember Rome wasn't built in a day. Keep riding your RC and learn to ride it better. If you get a 600 you will definitely miss the power, torque, not to mention you have to keep the 600's on the boil and shift quite a bit more.
My brother switched to an 08 R6 from an RSV4 about ten track days ago, and hasn't even come close the the 1000's lap times yet. Just my two cents.....
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
How about looking for a salvage title bike for the track? That's what I would do if I was interested in getting into track days. Save you some serious coin, maybe you can keep the RC51, and like you said, if you bin a salvage title bike at the track...

I agree with Jondog9. Every wannabe and his brother rides a 600cc bike that they smash up or total out in the first 6 months. I think you'd be crazy to trade your RC for a CBR600. I'm pretty sure you'll regret it down the road. And if you're going to strip the 600, why bother buying one that's in good condition.

Keep the RC and buy a well used or salvage 600 for the track. Good luck!

2000 RC51
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode