Strange turn signal problem. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Strange turn signal problem.

I just bought a nice 2002 RC51, my introduction thread is here. One of the attractions of this bike is that it was not as hacked up as some of the ones I looked at, but it does still have some sort of aftermarket flush mount front turn signals and I am having an odd problem. I can go through everything this weekend but I thought maybe someone has seen this before and knows right off where to look.
The left side works fine exactly like it should. The right rear turn signal is always on solid, and when I try to activate the right signal the rear light flashes fast and the front light doesn’t come on. I have a solid turn signal light on the dash all the time except when I activate the left signal then it flashes normally. The rear turn signals are stock and the wiring appears to be the standard factory harness. The front signals are flush mounted aftermarket with standard single filament bulbs and 2 wires. I put a replacement bulb in the front signal and it didn’t change anyghing.

Thanks Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 11:47 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
ok what you need is a Dual filament for the front with a 3 wire connection. There's a reason why, I just cant think of how to explain it any further....

2001 rc51 upgraded

1999 vtr 1000 "superhawk" sold

2006 650R Ninja sold
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

I believe that the dual filament and 3 wire connection are only required if you want running lights and turn signals, if you just want turn signals only 2 wires should be required. Somewhere something is probably cross wired I will just have to trace it back.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhr650 View Post
I believe that the dual filament and 3 wire connection are only required if you want running lights and turn signals, if you just want turn signals only 2 wires should be required. Somewhere something is probably cross wired I will just have to trace it back.
This..

It has always been my experience that a crossed wire is at play. What I would do is disconnect all your wires on that side and try putting them back as you believe they should go..
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Got my turn signals fixed, it was a crossed wire problem but a self inflicted problem by the previous owner. The aftermarket signals use single filament bulbs so they don’t function as running lights. On the left side they were wired correctly with the running light wire not connected, but on the right side the turn signal wire and the running light wire were both crimped together into the same connector. There is no way the signals ever worked correctly for the previous owner, which will have me looking over everything else on the bike closely.

Can I do a rant about cheesy aftermarket turn signals? Almost every bike you see has some replacement lights and almost all of them are crap. I had to go to a Chinese scooter store to get a new bulb for the ones on my bike, the sockets and mounting system is total crap, there is no way these will be even close to as reliable as the factory Honda parts. The Proton signals look like they would be an exception and very high quality, but I am not ready to drop another hundred dollars right now.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 01:34 AM

Put a set of Protons on this winter. LOVE them. Had several different craptacular flush mounts over the years, prob coulda bought 2 sets of Protons for what I've bought and pretty much thrown away.

'01 RC51 w/ Chinese plastics, PC2, Flapper Mod, PAIR delete, Yosh highmount, -1/+3 Gearing, Hot Bodies Undertail, Proton Fronts, Zero Gravity DB, Speedo Healer and HyperPro Damper.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TkerJker View Post
Put a set of Protons on this winter. LOVE them. Had several different craptacular flush mounts over the years, prob coulda bought 2 sets of Protons for what I've bought and pretty much thrown away.
Yes, Protons are a work of art!

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 12:14 PM

My bike came with some no-name signals front and rear that I think you can get at Cycle Gear. They lit up, but were all but useless for signaling my turning intentions to anyone.

They're super expensive, but I'll never go any flushmount route unless its Watsen Design. People will know when you're turning. I had Protons on my old R1 and they were okay, but didn't grab your attention like the Watsen's do. I had a set of Rizoma Zero-11 signals I put on back and now I feel better.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
When you decide to replace the front signals with better quality ones, look for the connector kits that use OEM Honda style connectors.
Then you can splice these onto the replacement front (or rear) signals for proper installation.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 12:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasrider View Post
...They're super expensive, but I'll never go any flushmount route unless its Watsen Design. People will know when you're turning. I had Protons on my old R1 and they were okay, but didn't grab your attention like the Watsen's do...

I too, had a similar opinion until I saw the Protons wired up to my bike firsthand - if you set them to the "strobe" feature, they are just as good, if not better than Watsens IMHO.

I ran Watsens on my old 600RR before and the Protons are plenty bright, especially at night, and provide a good level of visibility when facing the front (as if oncoming traffic were looking at you - highly important here, due to the inherent design of "flushmounts").

FWIW, I'm not even sure if Roger (of Watsen) is still offering his flushmounts for sale anymore (vaguely remember reading something about him "halting" production due to demand? Someone correct me if I'm wrong - thx).

YMMV, of course...

'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC51
-Competition Werkes FE w/
Clear Alternatives IT

'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR (sold '15)
'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold '11)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode