RC newb seeks feedback - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question RC newb seeks feedback

Hi guys/gals. Quick history, i have had a couple big twins(TLR and superhawk) and im finally in a position to own an RC. Question is...which one? I have two prospects locally and would invite some feedback from the forum!

Bike1- 2001 sp1 all stock except pc111 and undertail. new supercorsa, chain f&r sprocket one owner 22k with extensive maint history! $5,500

Bike2 2006 sp2 all stock except jardine slipon. 14k recent dunlaps. Needs chain & sprockets. No maint history(owner maintained) $7,000

Ill be honest and say im leaning towards the 06. I tried offering 5g on the 01 but owner declined. 06 seller is firm @7g

Advice, input, hell even criticism is welcome. Tell me something i dont know that list is long!
Thanks, TD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I paid $5400 for an 04 with 5900 miles on it. IMO both are overpriced. Mine came with Yosh slipons, PCIII, speedohealer, +2 rear sprocket, undertail, and Shorty CRG levers. If your going to pay that much for a bike I would at least expect it to have something on it that is no longer available (like Sato exhaust or ohlins forks). Mantenance records mean nothing without receipts. I could easily fill out a maintenance book and have never done anything. Take a good look at the chain. That says a lot about how a bike is cared for. I would keep looking. Sometimes a little drive to pick something up is worth it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by RuitRC51; 06-02-2012 at 02:36 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuitRC51 View Post
I paid $5400 for an 04 with 5900 miles on it. IMO both are overpriced. Mine came with Yosh slipons, PCIII, speedohealer, +2 rear sprocket, undertail, and Shorty CRG levers. If your going to pay that much for a bike I would at least expect it to have something on it that is no longer available (like Sato exhaust or ohlins forks). Mantenance records mean nothing without receipts. I could easily fill out a maintenance book and have never done anything. Take a good look at the chain. That says a lot about how a bike is cared for. I would keep looking. Sometimes a little drive to pick something up is worth it.

I agree these are priced pretty high. I live in the PNW and apparently an RC is worth more out here
Having physically seen the receipts for service from the 01, the service history is extensive! A lrg folder full of maint and service records from lof-valve adjustments. There are two 04's for sale locally(within 2hrs) and both are nicky haden. Both are priced over 8g Having wanted an RC for over a decade and doing as much research as i can im still leaning toward the 06...i dont think i can wait any longer Thanks for the input!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUEDORK View Post
I agree these are priced pretty high. I live in the PNW and apparently an RC is worth more out here
Having physically seen the receipts for service from the 01, the service history is extensive! A lrg folder full of maint and service records from lof-valve adjustments. There are two 04's for sale locally(within 2hrs) and both are nicky haden. Both are priced over 8g Having wanted an RC for over a decade and doing as much research as i can im still leaning toward the 06...i dont think i can wait any longer Thanks for the input!
Try looking into having a bike shipped. You should be able to do that for around $500 to almost anywhere. You might be able to get a better bike that way if the seller is willing to ship it.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Every bike I have has been purchased out of town, two of them were shipped. Try "UShip". They're the Ebay of shipping, you give info on where it's to be picked up, where it goes, and shippers bid on it. I've used them both times...very happy.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

I have considered shipping. There does seem to be a price increase the further west you go

Only problem is i have a hard time buying something i haven't touched or ridden!

Although these two bikes are overpriced nationally they are priced competitively in the region. I was looking for feedback as to which bike seemed the better choice given year, miles, condition and history.

Price isnt a deciding factor at this time, i just want to get the best bike
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have considered shipping. There does seem to be a price increase the further west you go

Only problem is i have a hard time buying something i haven't touched or ridden!

Although these two bikes are overpriced nationally they are priced competitively in the region. I was looking for feedback as to which bike seemed the better choice given year, miles, condition and history.

I was referencing the comment made by RuitRC51...naturally the further away the higher the shipping, and I agree that both are overpriced. My 05 had 10K miles, at least 2K in extras and bought it shipped for less that that 06. Seems like prices have gone up lately, even more than bikes usually do during riding season. The best thing I can tell you is not to get in a hurry...that's when you get into trouble. I bought my RC site unseen other than pictures, videos, etc. Asking the right questions and getting the paperwork and history of the bike is the key. Not everybody is out to get you, and if you do your homework and be diligent, you can get a great price on the bike you really want....local or not.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 08:33 PM

Talking

Quote:

I would go with the SP2 then. Just don't jump at it because you can't wait. Make sure it's the "right" one. Be picky!!!!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 10:57 PM

I do think both are overpriced, but I've seen a lot of overpriced RCs in my area too.

UShip does work, we hired a trucking company to ship an RC from Georgia to Texas and cost $350. They had it here within 2 days. Downside of buying non-local is you could get scammed. Up side is you can save money even with shipping to get the 'right' bike.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chixwithtrix View Post
Downside of buying non-local is you could get scammed.
Use PayPal if possible, they do have a buyer protection program...that is if you can convince the seller to accept ot due to the fact that it will cost them money to get the money from PayPal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode