tools - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
tools

Hi,

I'm suppose to go to a suspension tuning meetup tomorrow. My bike didnt come with any tools. What tools do I need and what sizes to be able to tune my SP1 suspension?

Thanks!

Last edited by cacc; 06-09-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Spanner wrench and a regular screw driver with ~6mm blade.

I am sure someone there will have somthing that works.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Just for giggles yesterday while working on the rear wheel and resulting chain adjustment, I opened my tool kit (stock Honda kit) and thought I'd see if the kit was sufficient to do a road-side fix. Not a %[email protected]*&^%! chance. Not only would you not be able to remove/loosen the axel nut (32mm socket or open wrench) but there is no chain adjuster open end wrench (10mm) either. There is a 12mm locknut size though. It's possible that the p/o misplaced the 10mm if there was one (and there will be now) but I'm not sure what to do about the axel nut, pretty high torque specs on that puppy. All is good when you're in your garage or a shop, but road-side makes me wonder a bit. You would be able to do the suspension settings with the em, 'meager' tools in the kit though. My list of additional needed tools groweth

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You're missing tools from your kit; it includes everything you mentioned from the factory.

http://www.indyoem.com/fiche_section...2003&fveh=3622

2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000 (the mod whore)
2003 RC51 (sold)
2002 ZX-7R (sold)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
I found it interesting that my old '05 Hayabusa (which has a lot more power and torque than an RC51) only uses 74 ft/lbs to torque the rear axle nut while the RC51 uses 94 ft/lbs.

And even more interesting, my '08 FZ1 rear axle nut uses 108 ft/lbs.
Seriously, 108 ft/lbs? Try and perform a roadside repair with that torque number.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Lifetime Premium

I was amazed at the torque value too, but wow, 108 for the FZ is really out there. I do have a 10 mm wrench in my kit, but it's not an open end so the p/o must have lost it. It would be no nice thing trying to get that rear axle nut off with that excuse of a tool in the kit though, especially with it torqued to 94 lbs

'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 08:24 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
The original tool kit is more for emergencies, I think - and it does include a 32mm ring spanner + an extension, 10 / 12mm ring spanners & some open ended spanners. At least mine does... ! It should be possible to stand on the end of the extension to exert enough force to undo the nut...

But really all the maintenance should be done well before a ride and that includes checking, oiling & adjusting the chain, fluids check, tyre pressures, etc. I usually fill my tank at the end of a ride too.

It's worth having a good set of tools at home incl. torque wrench, etc. all accessible for these jobs/ If we use them on the bike as we're meant to, then the RC's tool kit is only there in case of dire need.

I also keep a puncture repair kit & CO2 inflator on the bike. Never had to use it (On this bike) yet... but we never know when it might be needed.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 08:37 AM
Lifetime Premium

I absolutely agree Stig, the supplied tools are only for that rare roadside issue. I just wanted to see what if any was actually useable 'in case'. I've had too many experiences with snowmobiles and off road vehicles where the supplied tools were almost useless in case of emergency/breakdown, so during one of my breaks while working on the bike I dug out the kit to see what it was or wasn't made of. Now I have a better more complete kit that I can fall back on if I ever need it. I have good (if not professional grade) tools in the garage, plus I have the shop at the dealership whenever I want/need to wrench on my bikes.

'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 05:41 AM
Lifetime Premium

Hi mate , I find a BIG hammer and cold chisel fixes all cheers Buddha
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
Hi mate , I find a BIG hammer and cold chisel fixes all cheers Buddha
You forgot duct tape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode