Wearing Riding gear OR lack there of... - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wearing Riding gear OR lack there of...

As I was returning home from a nice Sunday ride, I saw countless riders NOT wearing any protective gear what so ever. I realize that it is the summer riding season but why is it that I see many w/o a helmet, gloves, jacket, etc...in fact most of these people w/o the gear are in shorts, sandles, and tank tops...WTF?

Let me your comments OR thoughts on this issue.

Thanks,
E

2002 RC51 (Street/Track)
2008 R6 (Track)
2010 R1 (Street)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Banned

People can wear whatever they care to...I personally love to wear all my gear all the time, regardless of time of year or how short the ride is.

I was hit by a drunk driver on my bicycle when I was 14 spent a lot of time in the hospital, skin grafts, bone grafts and blood transfusions.

I'm scarred forever that I have to live with but I am also heavily tattooed and I plan to keep those scars.

I like my skin and I really enjoy talking to people and not drooling, I also put a great deal of weight on wiping my own ass...so if one chooses to live on the edge but does not properly protect themselves from the dangers of it well I guess one will have to live/die by those choices.

I for one have seen a great deal of head injuries, my brother was one. Not from an accident but a freaking virus of all things it was not by his choice and luckily for my family with re-hab hard work and some help from a higher power he made a full recovery.

So make your choices but be prepared to stand by them.

Life is short and I have loved ones to come home to so I will always prepare myself the best I can in any situation.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 09:37 PM

Well said nobody. Yes it is their choice but some people need guidance and well their head examined. You are so right if you have family to take care of you should do everything to protect yourself. I call it common sense HOOVY

Satos, CF Sir box & snorkel,Mr front and rear fender & dash cover, custom carbon V cowl, Black ASV levers, Power com III, Hot Bodies tail, Galfer lines, Vortex Clip ons.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

I totally completely agree! Although it is anyone's right to do what they want, I personally think living & breathing surely outweigh looking "cool".

When I returned home after spending several years in Cali, riders here in CHI thought I was crazy to wear jacket, gloves, helmet, & boots in the summer...granted the people who thought I was weird were wearing sunglasses while riding.

2002 RC51 (Street/Track)
2008 R6 (Track)
2010 R1 (Street)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 09:57 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)

Nobody hit it on the nose. I had a similar situation when I was younger by shattering my left femur.

I always tell my wife and kid, if I don't come home it won't be because of something I did and not due to not wearing my gear.

However, I have yet to get my point across to cwp

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 10:13 PM

I was just riding up in NH yesterday and saw plenty of people riding without a helmet. I even saw some with leather jackets and boots and no helmet. I just dont understand it but it is the "Live free or die" state!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Its natural selection, you just have to let it take its course. 46and2

Colt
00 RC51 #1119
97 CBR F3
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

I totally agree! Another word that comes to mind is...SQUID

2002 RC51 (Street/Track)
2008 R6 (Track)
2010 R1 (Street)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post

Nobody hit it on the nose. I had a similar situation when I was younger by shattering my left femur.

I always tell my wife and kid, if I don't come home it won't be because of something I did and not due to not wearing my gear.

However, I have yet to get my point across to cwp
Cheeky git!

I always do my best to wear all my gear. I went out yesterday but purposely went out very early so that the roads were quiet and it wasn't too hot. If it is just too hot, I will sacrifice my jacket but always leave my helmet on. I always wear my boots though. Back in England, I would never ride without my leathers. But then again, it never got to 90 degree plus like it does here in Indy. Too many people ride and want to be noticed, hence, no helmet and dressed like they are by the pool. I don't ride to be noticed, I ride because I like to ride and I like to use my bike for what it is designed for, going fast through bends.

2000 RC51 SP1
2007 Yamaha YZ450f
2002 Yamaha YZ125 (sold)
2007 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2004 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (sold)
1996 Honda RVF NC35 (sold)
1983 Kawasaki KX60 (wrecked)
1982 BSA Scrambler (wrecked)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I'm an ATGATT dood, no matter how hot it gets (let's face it, extreme heat and north central Alberta ain't exactly synonymous). I'll fogo the riding pants sometimes on the Wing, but that's all, never on the RC. Plain and simple, squids pi$$ me off, and if it wasn't for the increased medical costs I'd be happy to let them find out first hand just how abrasive asphalt really is.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode