Ebay Fairings? Yes or No? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ebay Fairings? Yes or No?

Okay, I am in the market now for a set of OEM style fairings. On ebay, you can purchase a set of quote "premium" plastic fairings for approx 500.oo. They also sell cheaper ones, which i am reluctant to bid on, that cost approx. 250-300.oo. At any rate, I have been wondering if anyone on the forum has purchased the 500 dollar fairing kits listed on ebay. They have all of the decals and appear to be identical to OEM fairings, plus, 500 bucks is a lot cheaper for a set of plastics than a full set of plastics from Honda. If i decide to buy a set of these plastics, how do i accurately find and drill the holes for a pair of frame sliders? I'm afraid that if i drill holes, install the sliders, and then try to install the plastics, that my holes will be totally off and I will be stuck with a ruined set of side fairings, lol. If you have any ideas, comments, or positive/negative feedback, hit me back! I'm seeking knowledge. Thanks. YumYumChef
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Not sure if you saw this thread, may help you a little.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YtseJam View Post
Not sure if you saw this thread, may help you a little.
That is so funny, I just searched for that thread, did the control copy, and was ready to post when I saw you just beat me to it.

Hi Chef Luis. I would recommend searching and waiting to find used OEM plastics. Some may need paint, or plastic weld (which works amazingly well these days). But the overall quality is so much better than anything aftermarket when it comes to plastics.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 08:26 PM

Bought a set they fit pretty good. I'm not going for a full restoration just a clean looking bike. Still look around now and again for oem stuff but price will have to be right for me to buy it. Plus can drill for frame sliders and decal the crap out of my bike and not care.

'01 RC51 w/ Chinese plastics, PC2, Flapper Mod, PAIR delete, Yosh highmount, -1/+3 Gearing, Hot Bodies Undertail, Proton Fronts, Zero Gravity DB, Speedo Healer and HyperPro Damper.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
That is so funny, I just searched for that thread, did the control copy, and was ready to post when I saw you just beat me to it.
Not everyday I beat you to a post.....I'll stay humble.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
If you are worried about the holes lining up for your sliders, eyeball the spot you think the hole needs to be and put a nice blob of play-dough on the inside of the fairing and press the panel into place. The bolt and nut wil leave an imprint in the dough where you need to drill the pilot hole.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 03:11 PM

I have a set of the ebay fairings I'm using as track plastics. They took some elbow grease to stretch and drill holes properly. My tail section still doesn't line up properly and where the side fairings meet the front upper doesn't line up that great either. They work as track plastics, won't be winning any shows but from 5 feet you can't really see the fitment issues.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 03:57 AM

I put a set on a friends zx6r. And I was suprised at how nice they where. Had to do a little work with a dremel to help with fit. I plan on getting a set for the rc.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have had a set of ebay fairings now for about 2 years. To make a long story short, if your thinking of purchasing a set, look long and hard for the set that best matches that ome paint scheme. Make sure to line the inside of the fairing with heat resistance tape ( you could never have to much) and have someone who knows about bodywork and fitment put them on if they are not per-drilled.
Personally I don't see anything wrong with them as a temporary fix. I would much rather have them then someone wreck fairings with scratches all over. I would rather spend the extra money on mods and then come back to OME plastic. That's just me

Last edited by kpowe1; 06-30-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode