Just thinking outloud... - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just thinking outloud...

So there seems to be a social gap between sport riders and "heavy iron"

You all know what im talkin about...the wave. Now i always thought this was a sign of common bond, even brotherhood. Having owned several Jeeps, motorcyclist arent the only ones who acknowledge one another on the road And it feels good to share a common love with a stranger(ok that sound weird) you know what i mean.

Having never owned an Harley, chopper or even a cruiser i dont have any first hand experience on their point of view but, there is an obvious dislike in that group for "our kind"

I have my own thoughts on why it is but, would like to hear others on the subject.

Honestly im beginning to think i should reserve the "wave" just for sport riders...tell me im right or talk me out of it. TD

2006 #215 PC3USB
soft rev, flapper, 15/41

"Just tell them you bought it to impress women and have no fucking clue what it is or what you are doing." b.miller123
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I take the high road and drop a wave at all two-wheelers and trikes. Most of the time it gets returned, sometimes not. Doesn't matter to me, I even wave at scooters, but that's mostly because they usually wave back the most enthusiastically (goofy).

Two wheels and a motor? Rock on, brother!

2000 RVT1000R (RC51): Pazzo shorties, PCIIIr, 2Bros Slip-on, Gilles adjustable rearsets, 2005 Wheels and plastics

2002 RVT1000R (RC51): Yoshi RS-3 Slip-ons, PCIIIr
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 07:17 AM
Lifetime Premium

There is definitely a social difference. When I had my V-Max, the cruisers would wave and the sportbikers would too. When I rode my 600 or when I had my 900, It was the opposite. The cruisers ignored me, I thought it was funny. I have to admit riding the V-Max had its advantages. I rode it to Myrtle Beach for Bike Week with my friend who was riding a Harley bagger. It was the first time I was able to pass a State Trooper at 85mph and have him wave at me. If I was on my 600, 900, or the RC I would still be in jail.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Just give them the finger first & you don't have to worry about whether or not they will wave back...
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
Just give them the finger first & you don't have to worry about whether or not they will wave back...
The thought has crossed my mind

Seriously though, what got me thinking about this was...this last friday i decided to stop and see a riding buddy of mine. He lives in a condo and his outdoor balcony in adjacent to the parking garage. His neighbor is a harley rider. Now we were sitting on his balcony having a beer when said neighbor rode by on his "hog". Seeing his CBR sitting in its space the neighbor says to his passenger(prob his wife) see that jap bike...dont wave at those

We were both like WTF seriously!?

So again...what about us and our sport bike is so threatening to them???

2006 #215 PC3USB
soft rev, flapper, 15/41

"Just tell them you bought it to impress women and have no fucking clue what it is or what you are doing." b.miller123
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
There is nothing threatening at all, but you have to remember Harley is selling an image, a lifestyle so that adult adolescents can put on a costume and pretend to be someone else for a bit.

In the salesmen handbook from Harley it literally tells the salesperson to take the customer out to a busy convenience store during the test ride to park the bike and go inside for a refreshment because chances are another customer at the convenience store will say something to the effect of "nice bike dude" which helps solidify the bonding process of the new owner with the bike.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yup, it's sad how the marketing department can boil people down into easily manipulated sheep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HD1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	3070   Click image for larger version

Name:	HD2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	3071   Click image for larger version

Name:	HD3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	3072  

2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000 (the mod whore)
2003 RC51 (sold)
2002 ZX-7R (sold)
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Wow, I can't believe Harley actually put that into writing. Here in Indiana, cruisers and sport bikes wave at one another about 95% of the time. I've not had it happen here in the US, but occasionally in England some kid on a scooter/moped will wave but I will never reciprocate to a scooter/moped. Actually, thinking about it, most of the time in England it was always a nod of the head or a flash of the headlights rather than a wave.

2000 RC51 SP1
2007 Yamaha YZ450f
2002 Yamaha YZ125 (sold)
2007 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2004 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (sold)
1996 Honda RVF NC35 (sold)
1983 Kawasaki KX60 (wrecked)
1982 BSA Scrambler (wrecked)
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crarrs View Post
Yup, it's sad how the marketing department can boil people down into easily manipulated sheep.
This seems misleading

I would personally NOT want to be seen on a harldly ablesome

2006 #215 PC3USB
soft rev, flapper, 15/41

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
"Actually, thinking about it, most of the time in England it was always a nod of the head or a flash of the headlights rather than a wave."
Last year in Ireland I noticed a larg number of riders extending their right foot as we met. Since everyone over there rides on the left side, and the throttle hand is on the right (busy all the time), & the left hand isn't easily seen so they extend the leg/foot in greeting.
Hardly's around these parts usually wave at most riders, but if they don't you can be pretty sure that it's a sport rider they don't wave to. If it's me, I'm usually long gone before they react anyway hehe. Personally I wave to pretty much anyone, don't care what they're on. Always have always will, just the way I am. Our local group is mostly on paint shakers, and they love the look and sound of my RC. Never ask to ride it or sit on it, but there's very few of them that really know much about it, except for one of the guys who used to race (not his HD of course) on a Gixxer drag pro-stock.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode