RC51 Forums banner

FI light flashed while riding

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  mackbaz 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 RC51 with about 26k miles on it now and just experienced a strange issue. While riding (once at low cornering speed and once at high way speed) the FI light on the indicator cluster briefly flashes and I lose power for the time the light is on (this is only for a split second). I've looked at the shop manual and only see flash codes for the FI light, which seem to only reference when the bike isn't running yet.

Any ideas of what this could be? Bad fuel? Dirty injectors? Bad PC3? I'm going to put some fuel injector cleaner through to be proactive, but something tells me its a little more than that.

#5 ·
I had the same problem once. Every time it went over a big enough bump I'd momentarily lose power. Eventually it got worse so I stopped on the side of the road and fixed it.
Turned out to be one of the connectors near the battery, I forget which. Take off your seat and check well. It's not necessarily a direct battery connection..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.