For those of you... - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
For those of you...

For those who have had issues with radiators or oother pieces cracking/chipping/falling_________ (insert your favorite word here), take a look at the rubber and foam pieces that are used to hold, or dampen vibration during operation. I have changed out my radiator mounts and left side radiator foam pieces. I did notice movement before this but now, not so much.

These bikes are getting some age on them and it looks like the rubber and foam bits might be reaching the end of their limits.(Mine is a 2003 with low miles and always garaged!)

Just a thought.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 07:35 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
When my SP1's radiator blew out, I ordered a brand new one (SP1 again with 2 mounts) along with all its foam pieces around it. Next think I know 8 months later, it was blown out at the exact same spot as the first one.

Then my thoughts were that, due to it's two mounts, the radiator was vibrating/twisting at a diagonal axle line that meets the two mounts. So when you are at 9000-10000rpms with your coolant at 110 deg.Celsius and 1.1 bar of pressure inside the radiator, the upper mount stretches the tube beneath it and cracks it alongside of it.

That's why I decided to drill my frame and install the SP2 radiators which have the one extra mount at the rear upper corner. I guess all we need to do is observe the HRC solving the problems and follow their steps

My ÷hlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
very interesting indeed...... I just had my plastic off tonight doing an oil change and inspection and I did take a look at the rads real close.. no leaks but yep the foam is stiff and not really doing its job... order up!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Thanks for that mad. I'll look at mine before I put the fairings back on for sure.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
once again thanks mad i will be checking on that soon as i get a chance.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Good point embee. But I'm not sure that the SP1 rads were ever supposed to be solidly tight to the frame. As with the third mounting point on the SP2's. Someone here already pointed out the SP2 was a lot of correcting issues with the SP1. Such as leaking weld on the gas tank, judder spring and seat for the clutch, and the rads.
I checked the condition of the rubber mounts, which are sleeved with a spacer, specifically to prevent rigidity. Apparently. Because when I tighten the two mounting bolts, the radiator still has a small amout of flex, provided by the rubber, sleeved bushings that are part of the mounting bracketry.
So, I thought there was supposed to be some movement, and that it would be better than a rigid mount.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Good point embee. But I'm not sure that the SP1 rads were ever supposed to be solidly tight to the frame. As with the third mounting point on the SP2's. Someone here already pointed out the SP2 was a lot of correcting issues with the SP1. Such as leaking weld on the gas tank, judder spring and seat for the clutch, and the rads.
I checked the condition of the rubber mounts, which are sleeved with a spacer, specifically to prevent rigidity. Apparently. Because when I tighten the two mounting bolts, the radiator still has a small amout of flex, provided by the rubber, sleeved bushings that are part of the mounting bracketry.
So, I thought there was supposed to be some movement, and that it would be better than a rigid mount.
There is "movement" of a newer mount and "movement" of an aged/cracked mount that has lost its elasticity. Correct, they are suppose to move but the ability of the rubber to dampen is much better when it has that elasticity

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode