new owner question - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
new owner question

OK, I gotta question I'm hoping one of you can answer. I'm finally unearthing my '04 RC. It had no gas in it and I'm sure that a new battery is in my near future.
I had the battery on charge all night and when I finally got to the garage this afternoon the charger said FULL. I threw some gas a bit of stabil and opened the choke to give her a try. After 3 more tries, she decided to awake. She sounded as lovely as I remembered. I began to move the battery back into place and she cut out on me. Engine, dash, lights just stopped.

So, I stood dumbfounded and decided to shut it off and give it another go.
The dash and lights came on, but the battery turned out to not have the juice to fire it up again. I also noticed that the FI light was not coming on, no whir, nothing.

I imagine that I not only need a new battery, but might have popped a fuse?
I'm fearing that there might have been dried up gas in the bottom of the tank sitting through all those years

I'm sorry if this was a topic covered in the past, but I hoping that someone might point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Littlebastard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
So check your fuses, replace the battery with a new one and see what happens.

2000 RC51 SP1
2007 Yamaha YZ450f
2002 Yamaha YZ125 (sold)
2007 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2004 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (sold)
1996 Honda RVF NC35 (sold)
1983 Kawasaki KX60 (wrecked)
1982 BSA Scrambler (wrecked)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Since your instrument panel lights came on, it's not the main fuse.
When it blows, nothing works.
However it could be the ECU fuse, which is the fuse in the fuse holder clipped to the battery cover on an SP2.

Also, if the battery was not kept charged, it's probably sulfated and while maybe able to maintain 12V, won't have enough current capacity to start the bike easily.

This may be the start of a list of troubleshooting steps.
It's never good to let a machine sit idle, unless it's been properly prepped for long-term storage.
If the fuel tank was not full of fuel, the main issue is condensation and rust inside.

Last edited by SubSailor; 07-05-2012 at 08:37 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

yikes!!

Wow, thanks for the feedback!!!
So after a night of surfing for a new battery, I have taken a look inside the tank to find small sand sized granuels of rust.

Knowing that I started it and ran it for about 3 minutes, seems like I leaped before looking (nothing new for me). What should be my next move?

Thanks again!!

LB
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:51 AM

Take your tank off and clean it out...clean out the fuel pump too. If the tank is rusty inside, after you remove the fuel pump, clean it out with muriatic acid. (You can get it at Home Depot or a swimming pool supply place for $7 to $10.)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 04:13 PM

If you really think the tank needs a cleaning then get it hot tanked and reseal it. Have you looked into caswell epoxy(gas tank sealer)? Fuel pump should be fine just check the intake/pump filter. Can clean it out with some parts/fuel injector cleaner or diesel then gas.

Since you ran gunk through your injectors its a good idea to pull em and sonic clean em in some fuel injector cleaner and/or diesel. Have done this myself a couple times for friends that have done exactly the same thing. Sure its a pain to pull everything out for a cleaning, but if you don't keep in mind you might might have to go back in to do a repair later.

Edit: when you get the tank off and pump pulled post up some pics of the inside of the tank. And collect any fuel from the tank so we can see what it looks like once removed and again after its settled for a couple days.

Last edited by varium; 07-05-2012 at 04:16 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 05:32 PM

You should never seal the inside of a gas tank...ALL of those sealer coatings start to break down and gum everything up.

Hot tanking will not remove the rust from inside the tank...muriatic acid is the only product that will do that.

All of those tank cleaner kits on the market are based on muriatic acid/baking soda neutralizer for $60-$70.

You put the gallon of $8 acid into your tank (with the pump removed)...then fill the tank with DISTILLED water...and let it sit for a few hours...then you pour that stuff out, and refill the tank with DISTILLED water and Arm&Hammer baking soda ($1)...swish it around...and presto...a brand new tank!

My service guys do this all day long when customers bring in their bikes with rusty tanks...and the service charge for it is $238.65 with tax. Save yourself some big money and DIY for $20.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FERBZ69 View Post
You should never seal the inside of a gas tank...ALL of those sealer coatings start to break down and gum everything up.
Hot tanking will not remove the rust from inside the tank...muriatic acid is the only product that will do that.

All of those tank cleaner kits on the market are based on muriatic acid/baking soda neutralizer for $60-$70.

You put the gallon of $8 acid into your tank (with the pump removed)...then fill the tank with DISTILLED water...and let it sit for a few hours...then you pour that stuff out, and refill the tank with DISTILLED water and Arm&Hammer baking soda ($1)...swish it around...and presto...a brand new tank!

My service guys do this all day long when customers bring in their bikes with rusty tanks...and the service charge for it is $238.65 with tax. Save yourself some big money and DIY for $20.
That was the experience I had. Previous owner tried that crap, and it was completely deteriorated, plugged fuel filter, burnt out pump.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
That was the experience I had. Previous owner tried that crap, and it was completely deteriorated, plugged fuel filter, burnt out pump.
Form what method, the hot tanking and sealing method or the muriatic acid?

If I think of it, I will take some pics of it. I mean, a very accurate description of it would be that I sprinkled a bit of pepper into the top. Nothing like it sat in the middle of a cornfield for a decade or two.

Last edited by littlebastard; 07-05-2012 at 10:17 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebastard View Post
Form what method, the hot tanking and sealing method or the muriatic acid?

If I think of it, I will take some pics of it. I mean, a very accurate description of it would be that I sprinkled a bit of pepper into the top. Nothing like it sat in the middle of a cornfield for a decade or two.
He was talking about the sealing method...gasoline will breakdown any paint or sealant in the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode