RC51 vs CBR1000 - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
RC51 vs CBR1000

I have a question.
I fixed my friends RC and have had the pleasure of riding it for the last few days.. I am loving it. I am thinking about selling my VTR and buying an CBR1000.
Reason being. You can't buy a NEW RC. But I want something with a rock solid frame and great handling like the RC.

How do the two compare?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 07:25 AM
kbb
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzuki View Post
I have a question.
I fixed my friends RC and have had the pleasure of riding it for the last few days.. I am loving it. I am thinking about selling my VTR and buying an CBR1000.
Reason being. You can't buy a NEW RC. But I want something with a rock solid frame and great handling like the RC.

How do the two compare?
What year CBR1000rr? The 04-07 are a very different vehicle from 08-on.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Beyond two wheels, they are apples and oranges.
Both equally nice bikes, though in a different way.
It boils down to a personal preference.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 07:37 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
I don't think they can compare to anything.
Technology wise the RC51 is from a 750 I4 WSBK era and a liter V-Twins with everything that package includes.
The CBR 1000RR is from almost two generations later when the V-Twins were 1200cc with tones of tech on them in geometry, metal evolution, suspension etc.
That's been said, the I4 bikes has totally different riding feeling than the V-Twins due to their engine center of mass which affects the gyroscopic effect in the corner.
You need to take a test ride to see for yourself if that specific feeling is suitable for your needs and skills.
I was driving I4s my whole life and when I rode the RC51 that was the last time I wanted to ride an I4 again.
In the track, from what I hear, the CBR is much more drivable than the RC.
I mean you need to upgrade the RC quite a bit to ride like the fully stock CBR inside a track.

My Öhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Obviously. I am asking only about handling. Ridgidity.
I love how the frame is so planted. They had to translate that tech. into the CBR.
When you hit stutter bumps on the RC it is just rock solid.
I am asking about 2012 CBR'S
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
MSRP on 2012 CBR1000RR is $13,800 (and $11,500 for CBR600RR).
The 2012 CBR1000RR has different bodywork, wheels, forks, and shock.
Otherwise, fundamentally the same as the '08 model.

I'd suggest you find a good used '08+ rather than paying big payments for a '12.
Then use the coin you saved to add the extras of your choice (exhaust, wheel, Ohlins, whatever).
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 02:04 PM

Having owned and ridden different CBR's, I can say it's really a matter of preference as to what you buy. Obviously the newer bikes "should" have newer technology in them. Also the CBR would have a higher top speed but I never cared about that.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
The 51 feels like an old "muscle car" compared to the CBR 1000RR/Fireblade, which feels like a "big brother" of my old CBR 600RR - (see sig).

While I don't have track experience (is that what you are looking for - RE "handling" feedback?) and don't own a '12 model Fireblade, I will say that the Fireblade feels easier to handle and feels lighter than the 51, mostly due to its weight IMHO. I don't know the exact wet weights for each off hand, but I'm sure you can Google it.

Love them both. Perhaps you can find a local rider with a '12 Fireblade and check it out in person or visit a dealership that will (not likely LOL) allow a demo/test ride. Keep reading reviews as well. It seems most of what I've read indicate it's still similar to the '08 - '11s, but the reviewers are raving about the updated suspension. Other than that, not much of an overall "redesign." Some like the new dash/tach, others not so much - probably a personal preference.

Looking for a used '08 - '11 will save you some coin, can't go wrong there - more money leftover for mods to get the bike setup just the way YOU want it.

FWIW - the '11 models came from the factory with ZERO recalls. Read the following very carefully (and it's not a knock against the '08-'11 lineup).

There was an "engine whine/abnormal crankshaft noise" tech alert for the '08 - '10 models - click me.

Also watch for engine oil consumption - click me. Has been an issue on '08, '09, some '10s, and possibly '11s.

Haven't seen any oil issues with my '11 yet. Nor have I read about any actual bitching from '12 owners either. Not ALL of them suffer from oil consumption, monitor your oil level on a semi-regular basis and add as needed, especially if you run the engine hard in the upper RPMs quite frequently.

Take what you read online about the '08 - '11 models with a grain of salt and don't worry TOO much about all of the reported issues, monitor them, but don't "freak out."

FWIW I saw a local dealership post a pretty low price ($9499) for the new 2012 Fireblades. I'm sure their price doesn't include the typical "dealer fees" or sales tax (MI sales tax is 6%, which comes out to just a hair over $550 if taxing the $9499 price, making it a $10K bike out the door).

Keep in the mind that the dealer will probably add the usual "prep, assembly, etc" and other fees BEFORE they come to the final "taxable" sales price on the bike, so the final out-the-door price for a cash purchase would be closer to the $10,500 - $11,000 pricepoint (if not higher LOL). Still might be worth calling them to find out the real scoop if you are in the area or to use their price for comparison shopping purposes/dealership haggling:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcd/3119699602.html

Or, if you wait until later in the season you can probably find one for a low price in your neck of the woods or just wait it out until next year and buy one as a leftover model if you truly want "new" and don't want to purchase a used model.

YMMV & g'luck !

'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC51
-Competition Werkes FE w/
Clear Alternatives IT

'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR (sold '15)
'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold '11)
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
You buy an RC51 for fun factor, nostalgia and if in the right condition as a semi-collectors piece.

If you want performance and lap times then you buy the 1000RR
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 01:09 PM

Honestly, it has already been said. It comes down to preference. I recently just sold my 06 CBR 1KRR (less than 2 months ago) to buy an RC51. I sold my CBR and two days later found a gem RC51. Call me crazy but I heard one and fell in love the V-twin noise. I had never even ridden one but I took a chance.

Difference between them? The RC51 is a stop light to stop light monster! Launching it from a dead stop is a blast. 0-100mph the RC51 to me feels faster than my old CBR. After that, there is no doubt the top end of a CBR will blow the RC51 out of the water. I used to be all about "riding fast in a straight line" in my earlier days of riding but hell a monkey can go fast straight. I've learned curves are not only fun in women but also with bikes.

I took a long hard look at what I wanted in a bike and honestly I may go back to the inline-4. Right now the RC keeps me happy and today I had my first real "wow" with it. Coming out of a round-a-bout I whacked the throttle and the front wheel came off the ground. It's really tough to get that affect on an I4 with stock gearing.

Its apples to oranges. Both have pros and cons. Just depends on what you want. One thing I have noticed already is people who actually know what they are always give you compliments. People who have no idea what they are always ask about them. I had one guy ask me if it was a 600 so I replied yes and left him eating exhaust fumes on his ZRX1100 at a stop light.

Last edited by SouthPaw; 07-12-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode