Considering converting to front mount radiator - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Considering converting to front mount radiator

I know the clearances are tight, but is anyone aware of a way to use just a single radiator and mount it to the front of the bike? Possibly a swap from another bike or whatnot.

I've seen the Tyga kits (which seem to be forever on back order) and was wondering why there has to be two radiators used? The way I understand is that so long as you're running at least as much coolant capacity that there shouldn't be any cooling issues.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Thermae makes the radiators, not Tyga.
They were just sold through the TygaUSA site for a while.
Contact Thermae directly for current status:
http://www.thermaecooling.com/#
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
A radiator from an I4 engine can hardly fit cause of the position of the front cylinder. It looks like the rad would be outside the cowling.
Such engines like the V-Twin can be compared with the V4s so if you'd have to choose a different rad set up, you should look for RC30-RC45 or VFR's rad set up, which are smaller than you need (they were made to cool a 750cc - 800cc engine).
So it looks like you could look for TL's radiators which need a lot of work to make them fit and I still believe your cowling will not fit perfectly.
That been said, the engine's working temp should not be lowered below a specific point.
For example if you use a big radiator that keeps the engine working temperature below 150F at high speed riding and barely reaches 190F in traffic, your fuel mixture and exhaust gases will not flow the way they were designed to. So it's not good either for your healthy engine's performance.

My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

I'm not worried about having the radiator fit under the cowls so that point i moot. I've heard the SV650 radiator works, but considering they have half the capacity of the stock setup I'm worried it won't be sufficient.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 11:19 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
A critical factor for choosing radiators for an engine is the engine's thermal efficiency (I am not sure if I say it right in science terms).
For example the Superhawk's engine is very very similar with the RC's. However the two engines have a big difference in thermal efficiency cause the RC's engine is producing more horsepower and torque.
So you need to compare radiators between respective liter engines (like the Fireblade's for example)

My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In scientific terms it all boils down to (fuel consumption - unburned fuel)/hp developed. The higher the ratio the more fuel is used for creating heat. But this becomes too complex to think about and as engine efficiency is getting closer and closer cooling needs relate to performance and hp. So if the RC develops 60% more than the SV650 and 40% more than the VTR it needs as much more cooling. The difference of a frontal radiator with side mounted ones is that it is much more efficient in cooling so less capacity is required. Still a bike's radiator with half the hp will not be enough for the RC.
There have been a few aftermarket kits of frontal radiators and oil coolers for the RC and people have used them with success. The issue that is overlooked often is the fairing design and how it relates to cool air flow. The rason the RC looks wide is because of the radiators. Even though people replace them with frontal ones they leave the same fat fairing. I'd look at a Ducati 99*/1*98 for comparing capacities of radiators.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

So a TL1000 or SV1000 radiator would probably be a better idea...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode