Operating Temp in Summer Heat - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Post Operating Temp in Summer Heat

Hey gang,
I checked the archives and saw plenty of Temp threads speaking to operating temps. But what I did not see was anything speaking to what the temp should be in comparison to the weather temp at ride time.

Ex - Last night I took my bike out, and it was still about 103 degrees...so my temp got up to 229 - 231. Yes I am going to change over to Engine Ice but since someone left the garage door to Hell open what do you think I can expect in the way of engine temps ??

Thoughts ? Ideas ? Limericks ?

Raleigh

2001 SP1 - Code Name F-Bomb - PCIII USB / D&D High Mount System / 42T / EK SRX 530X / CRG Levers / K&N Filters / Stomp Grip / Rev Limiter Mod / Flapper Mod / PAIR Mod / Undertail / Hugger / 6K HID Lights / Speigler lines / Wave Rotors / CF Airbox / Shorai Battery - More to come, as soon as my slush fund get's more "Slushy" !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
I'm assuming these temps were during stop and go traffic?

The temps in my area average around the low to mid 90's during summer (because I live near the Gulf which moderates the temps).

While it may by humid as hell (that doesn't have any affect on cooling), in stop and go traffic, mine would get to 221 briefly, then fall to 205-ish once the fans spin at 218.
Once moving briskly, the temps continue average around 205, but once out of the city and into the country, the temps can fall to 180-190.

In spring, they often hit 179 in the country.

Since your area is averaging 103, I can see where the temps may average a bit higher.
They should not get to 251, which is the critical temp when overheat LED comes on and the temp indicator starts blinking.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Hi Sub, thanks buddy.....no, wasn't stop and go...those were my "on the go" temps. The temp was 103, index of 106...and GOD knows what the actual ground temp was.

So with that said, what types of gains/losses should I expect from Engine Ice ?

Or does someone in TX / NV / AZ / NM have experience with high heat and Engine Ice ?

2001 SP1 - Code Name F-Bomb - PCIII USB / D&D High Mount System / 42T / EK SRX 530X / CRG Levers / K&N Filters / Stomp Grip / Rev Limiter Mod / Flapper Mod / PAIR Mod / Undertail / Hugger / 6K HID Lights / Speigler lines / Wave Rotors / CF Airbox / Shorai Battery - More to come, as soon as my slush fund get's more "Slushy" !

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Actually, with Engine Ice or Water Wetter, I'd only expect marginal gains as best.
Nothing dramatic as they're not miracles coolants.

I used Engine Ice simply because it was available at a Cycle Gear store nearby (until it closed last year) and it came pre-mixed.
Later I found that it was non-toxic and biodegradable, which added icing to the cake.

Do you have to top up coolant often, and what condition are your fan motors?
Do your fans squeak or not turn freely when spun by hand? Or perhaps rub against the radiator fins?

When I was going through my bike back in '08, I found one fan motor squeaking, so I replaced both to be sure.
I've seen some where they did not rotate freely, which indicates the bearings are about shot.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I run water wetter and saw zero difference in temps

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

2000 RC51
1985 ATC 350X
2009 Silverado SS clone
Lots and lots of guns!lol
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Sub...that is good to know. I plan to have the coolant changed this weekend at my local shop, and I will let you guys know. If we are just talking marginal, then I will forego the additional $50+ for the engine Ice and stick to regular coolant. From previous experience I know I will see better results from running synthetic oils here in Texas as they do help with the cooling, not to mention side mounted radiators don't get the best flows. With all of that said, I suspect the coolant is a bit old and could be breaking down, then again it was 100 and hell on my way home today. Glad I was in the car !!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 09:28 PM

its been around 90 here lately an crazy humidity an even in stop an go traffic my bike barely gets up above 205 i have engine ice in it an also run aviation fuel which ive heard helps the bike run cooler
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 10:20 PM

what are your avg engine rpm's/speed when seeing those temp? i usually dont see those temps in my area(southern wi) but we do see a 100 or so around here every now and again and on avg. i see the 200 deg mark at 50 to 55 mph/give take at 4k. im wondering if the water pump impeller wears and allows poor flow causing higher temps in some bikes? anybody have an idea of before and after temp readings with a new impeller?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 09:27 PM

I'm probably a bit closer to your situation, being from New Mexico. Mine will get into high 230s in stop and go (more stop than go) traffic during rush hour, usually means its over 105 on the highway though.

When I'm moving and its more reasonable 90s, I'm 220s typically.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode