sprocket change/ wheelies and everyday riding. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wink sprocket change/ wheelies and everyday riding.

i recently got my first RC51! I love it! its an 02 and one of the cleanest ones i have ever seen. I know most people wont like this post but i am a huge fan of wheelies! i think the bike has the stock gearing and its just to high for me. what sprocket change does everyone recomend? i was thinking of putting 3 teeth bigger in the rear. top speed after change? will i be able to tell a bit difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 11:07 AM

A cheap and easy change is to try -1 (15 tooth) in the front. This is a cheap way to see if you like the lower gearing. I personally like the stock gearing. And you are right, I doubt most people on this forum will look kindly on someone who wants to wheelie a RC a lot.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 01:47 PM

Ya wheelies are a touchy subject round these parts! I have -1 front +2 rear and on power the front wants to float. -1 on the front is equal to +3 rear

2000 sp1 number 000039
full hindle off-road exhaust
power commander
double bubble screen
sprocket swap 1 down 3 up
k and n filters
and now flapper mod thanks to rc forums

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Wheelies can damage your triple's bearings, front suspension's tubes and inside parts like the bushings, front wheel's bearings and drive chain and sprockets too.
However it's your bike and you decide what to do with her.

If you renew parts frequently then I guess you won't have serious issues (apart from the wheelie's risks).

I rode mine with a -1 front (15) and +2 rear (42) sprockets and she was wheeling without too much effort. But top speed sucked.....I had 268km/h indicated on the gauges and my real speed was 241

I think it is a good combination for a starters and you can take it from there.........

My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the help. i know the wheelie thing is a touchy subject but i just had to ask anyway. what about the odometer change. iver heard that the milage will show more than actually on the bike with some sprocket changes.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
A -1 +2 will add about 10 -12% more miles to your odometer and speedometer readings.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 01:29 PM

Yes you will need a speedo healer if you want acurate readings on your display when you change the gearing.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 11:06 PM

I went -1/+3 on my 01. Added a speedo healer and calibrated it via the web site method and according to the local drag strip my speedo is pretty freaking accurate. Is it a huge ungodly wheelie monster? Nope. It will float the front end no problem, but if I wanna show off I still have to put a lill english on it to bring it up. IMO made 6th gear a little more drivers license friendly (speeding laws in BC suck). +2 prob would have been a little better economy wise, but who really cares about mileage when on two wheels.

'01 RC51 w/ Chinese plastics, PC2, Flapper Mod, PAIR delete, Yosh highmount, -1/+3 Gearing, Hot Bodies Undertail, Proton Fronts, Zero Gravity DB, Speedo Healer and HyperPro Damper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode