New radiators issue. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
New radiators issue.

I just got around to running my radiator kit, and it looked like there was air in the system after running it for a bit. So I topped off the radiator through the cap, and put a tiny bit in the reservoir.

After running it a little bit, and giving it some hard pulls to get the rest of the air out, I let it get up to temp. Around 210-220 it began to spit coolant back into the reservoir. So much came out that it overflowed and filled another bottle about the same size as the reservoir. (I was expecting this and had the second bottle setup already). After shutting the bike off and letting it cool down, it sucked all the coolant back in, enough to drain the reservoir and suck air back in. Obviously there was a massive amount of air in the system after the install, but I am fairly sure I got all of it out of there.

I'm not sure if the radiator cap is letting the pressure out too easily or what. The system had no issues before the install, so I doubt the cap suddenly went bad. Has anyone actually watched to see when their radiator cap starts to bleed fluid pressure?

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
The cap is meant to open at 1.1bar of pressure.

When I pour coolant in a bike, I follow the next procedure:

Always the bike leaning on its side stand (that's why they all got their rad cap on the RH side)
Start pouring coolant in the system. Near the 2nd liter I start squeezing, repeatedly, the bottom rad's hose of the LH rad and the small one on the water pump.
This helps to push most of the air, out of the space close to the pump and in the cylinders water spaces so that when the engine starts the pump can have more powerful flowing current.
Start the engine with the rad cap off and watch the coolant's surface.
When the thermostat opens, the coolant's surface starts rising. If you twist the throttle a bit you'll see that it retreats back down but once the engine is left to idle, it rises again back up.
If you have a lot of air in the system, once the thermostat opens, the coolant's surface goes way down, so you pour a bit of coolant to compensate the gap.
Then you close the rad's cap and rev the bike until the fan kick in.
Then switch it off and let it cool down.
After that, usually, opening the cap you'll see that it needs a bit of coolant (100-200ml) to add.
Then you fill the expansion container to the proper level and you're good to go.

My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode