would you still ride? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
would you still ride?

just got home after 16 days in the hospital. I was hit head on from a cager who decided to take a left hand turn about 20 ft in front of me coming the other way at about 35 mph on my (hard to see) 2012 RED Goldwing. I was wearing a helmet which did save my life, but my injuries include a torn aorta, 12 broken ribs, broken femur, upper arm, and shattered wrist and forearm. No head, hip or back injuries, thank God.

So now that I bummed everyone out, I am trying ti figure out my riding future. I picked up an RC a couple months ago and am thinking that I may just do track days with it - seems safer than road-riding to me right now. I think I may give up the touring bike and switch over to a cool ragtop. I am (was) in process of building a bobber from a 78 goldwimg that I may use for occasional rides.

So, would you all ride again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Whoa, tough story. Sorry to hear of all your injuries. That's pretty tragic, considering it was all the fault of some unaware driver. Hope you heal up.
Can't really say what I'd do. Get back in the saddle, or not?
Take some more time to contemplate.
You didn't mention if you have wife and kids. If the answer is yes, I'd put the bike away for a couple years.
I think. Don't know if I could commit to not riding...

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
After my "incident", I refused to let it stop me from riding, but I knew that something had to change. I stopped riding as means of daily transportation and now I only ride for pleasure. This allows me to avoid the times , places and situations that would put me at the most risk from idiots and old people.

ETA: I have a wife and kid, I need to think about more than my pleasure.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Yes, wife and kids. The new Goldwing was for trips with the wife, which I can't imagine doing now. The prob with the new Wing was it was a great commuter (warm, storage) etc, that I was riding it everday that it didn't rain.

Oh, I forgot to mention - A witness of the accident said the driver of the car was still talking on his cell when he got out of the car.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
That is the problem ... you can do everything right, take all the precautions, be aware of your surroundings, and still be hit by an idiot that was texting while driving.

With that said, there is nothing that you can do that does not include some risk, it is our job to manage those risks and decide what is, or is not, acceptable. People die in cars too, but the risk is much less.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
That is indeed a woeful story, and I hope your recovery goes well. I'm assuming given the extent of your injuries your Wing wasn't an airbag model. There's been lots of positive reports on the effectiveness of the Wing's airbag system. Mine's the full meal deal although it's an '09. As to the track being safer, it's a closed environment rather than over-run with dumbass cagers on cell phones. Although I don't do track stuff, it's a safe bet that the longer you do, the more likely it becomes that you're goona bin it sooner or later.
I've been lucky and never been down at any great speed, but I've had several hair-raisers/close calls that shook me pretty good (and my wife). One even pushed me over the edge into converting my 1500 Wing into a trike, but that didn't last long and I went back to two wheels after one season. But I've never been busted up so I can't say that I'd maybe feel different if I had. I've done lots of get-offs from snowmobiles both on the track and recreational and have the hardware and scars to prove it and I still ride them as aggressively as I ever did.
You are the only one that can evaluate both your desire to ride, and your responsibility to your family. That and whether or not you're mentally secure in being on the street/road with your wife or children.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 04:22 PM

I feel for you my friend. I experienced something similar. According to the police report (because I have zero memory of anything prior to when they got my heart restarted in the ambulance) I was moving at 80MPH when it happened. Aside from the heart stopping, it took 32 screws, 3 plates, and a rod to put me back together. That was 7 years ago. Since then, I have collected a full range of bikes and love them all. With that said, everyone has their breaking point. I was always a believer that we all think we are riders until the first time our lives are tested. The ones that come back are riders, everyone else is a poser. I know now that I was wrong in that assessment. We all have many things that define our willingness to take on risk. I love the ride, but I also have a huge insurance policy on my life and a wife that accepts who I am. Some don't have that and must be more cautious with their lives. Road or track, I will always recommend that you keep going. The tough part is... the call is always yours to make. You are the only one that knows what you are risking by kicking that engine over that one last time.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 04:31 PM

Never give up. Never surender...

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

2000 RC51
1985 ATC 350X
2009 Silverado SS clone
Lots and lots of guns!lol
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 07:16 PM

Yes, yes I would.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Heavy issues Bro'..
You gotta look at it this way...
We are not promised another breath.. Every day is a gift. Yet, As J-dog put it, we has adults can not be selfish , and skip on the responcibilities of our children...
Myself - I have been shot(service), and stabbed twice(LE,) A cancer survior. and multply car accidents..
My wife(no children) agreed ""IF"" I leave this world, I'd be doing what I enjoy the most on the bike... carving curves....
Yet cagers really SUCK... hate having to be one - sometimes...

Last edited by 1971allchaos; 08-29-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode