• 1 Post By asilven2334
  • 2 Post By Motleyfan
  • 1 Post By CapeCodderRC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So when did I get old and is it ok?

Bit of background first. Ex military (helicopters), Ex Air Traffic Controller, 2 wars, 9 years in the sandpit in total, 1050 skydives(military and civilian) and I'm Irish! Whats better that that?!?

So I was riding last week and a couple of 'Busas pulled into the bar I was having a 'Soda' at. We talked for while and I realized, either it's my age or maybe a cultural difference. Straight line speed doesn't do it for me!

Maybe I'm just stuck in the mid 2000's but here is my present garage

2003 BMW M3 Convertible (95,000 miles)
2003 RC51 (39,500) Mostly standard, tail unit, PC3, levers, Micron High Mounts
2003 RC51 (5,800) Nowhere near standard, every mod in the book, rearsets, braided lines, overbore heads, higher compression, clip-ons, etc

Fast is good but power without control is pointless. It was all proven when we left and went for a ride, yes, they pulled away but not one of them could stick it into a corner at pace and your extended shiney swingarm an fat tyre is just pointless! IMO

Am I just ranting or old? Or both????

2002 RC51 SP2
2003 RC51 SP2
BMW E46 M3 convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
fully agree! straight line speed is like the new thing i guess idk i am 28 so im no little kid or old man.. but i had a 2004 gsxr1000 stock lenght few mods and jesus was it fast.. but now i got my RC51 and im truly in love with it.. no where as fast as my suzuki in the stright.. but idk i find that so boring.. every bike is fast straight ... thats why they got a regular bike cuz thats what regular ppl want. busa's are like the corvette of the bike world.. fast yes. but everyone has on! rvt1000r! thats a gem!
Motleyfan likes this.

Full Akrapovic Ti exhaust , PC5 , Corbin seat , T1 airbox , Russell steel braided lines , Matris steering damper , Brembo RCS 19, Pair mod , Flapper mod , Soft rev mod, 15/41 gears, EBC xc front rotors, Tuned by Dyno Solutions.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 02:53 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_ed View Post
Bit of background first. Ex military (helicopters), Ex Air Traffic Controller, 2 wars, 9 years in the sandpit in total, 1050 skydives(military and civilian) and I'm Irish! Whats better that that?!?

So I was riding last week and a couple of 'Busas pulled into the bar I was having a 'Soda' at. We talked for while and I realized, either it's my age or maybe a cultural difference. Straight line speed doesn't do it for me!

Maybe I'm just stuck in the mid 2000's but here is my present garage

2003 BMW M3 Convertible (95,000 miles)
2003 RC51 (39,500) Mostly standard, tail unit, PC3, levers, Micron High Mounts
2003 RC51 (5,800) Nowhere near standard, every mod in the book, rearsets, braided lines, overbore heads, higher compression, clip-ons, etc

Fast is good but power without control is pointless. It was all proven when we left and went for a ride, yes, they pulled away but not one of them could stick it into a corner at pace and your extended shiney swingarm an fat tyre is just pointless! IMO

Am I just ranting or old? Or both????
You're not old just mature enough to enjoy the finer things in life like cornering. I'm pushing 60 and I have 2 RC's and love them both. The newest bike I have is an 07 and I know I can't keep up with the kids I ride with but I still enjoy myself. That's the name of the game!!
CapeCodderRC and asilven2334 like this.

2000 RC51 - stock owned since new 5/2000
2006 RC51 - 2nd owner purchased 4/2015 with 1400 miles
1996 CBR900RR - mild resto/mod - done spring 2012
1990 Honda VFR - original stock owned since 1991
1975 Kawasaki S3 - restored in 2004-5 (sold 10-17)
2003 Kawasaki ZX7R - bought 10/2018
2007 Honda Interceptor 25th Anniversary purchased 7/2014
1972 Honda Mini Trail - 1st restoration in 1992, and 2016 restored to like new condition. (sold 2/18)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 04:25 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Garage
Ditto ....62 here / Old guys rule . We are still riding an old skool sportbike
Motleyfan likes this.

Growing old is mandatory , Growing up is Optional
BOTM / April 2014 , October 2016
Clint / 2000 RC51 #414
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well the unfortunate truth is a great rider on that busa is quicker even in the corners than an average rider on your typical modded out garage queen with everything and the kitchen sink thrown at it. 99% of the crowd that are running brembos, ohlins, bst, etc are not fast enough to notice the benefits of the parts and do it just because they can $$$$$. It hurts but it is the gods honest truth (me included). Even if they "think" they are fast, they are not really that fast, if they were we would have heard of you racing on Sundays. Just facing reality guys.

Point: it's all about the rider, not the bike.

Last edited by Marc Jorgensen; 08-18-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode